Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks ago, my dog got sick. He had apparently chewed up a towel and ingested some. It got stuck in his intestines and he had surgery Thursday, May 15 to remove the blockage. Surgery went well and the vet said he should make a full recovery.

It has been 12 days (he goes in today to get his sutures out) and he is still not back to normal. He is not eating as much, but he will eat some boiled chicken. He may just be getting spoiled, but he doesn't eat nearly enough chicken to be equal to his normal dry food consumption.

He is also not acting normal. He was really good on his walk yesterday (not that I am complaining, it was just not normal) and he is a lot more laid back in general. He could still be recovering or be afraid to act normal because he doesn't want to get hurt. I just thought he would be better by now.

So, I was thinking that there may be something else wrong. Maybe there was something wrong that caused him to eat the towel in the first place? He is almost four and he has never been a chewer. That is why he had access to the towel in his crate, we never expected him to do this. He had a CBC and an SMA profile done when he first went in and all was well. Is there any disorder that has pica as a symptom? Thanks!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
What kind of dog do y0u have? I have a Lab that has never been a "chewer" but he will eat things I would never even think about. My underwear use to be his favorite. He could walk by the coffee table and you think he is just passing by and WHAM he turns his head and snatches something right off the table. If we don't run after him it ends up in his stomach. He even ate a pair of nail clippers once. We had to learn to try and keep things out of his path. Even if it's something we think he wouldn't touch.

I have never heard of a dog having Pica. My nephew does and he will saw right through a headboard if he had the chance. He has ADHD though also.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Pica is a disorder, not always a symptom of something else. My cat has it. Animals can certainly have it.

but more likely, he was bored. Did he have other stuff to play with besides the towel? Was he in there longer than usual?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yes, animals can certainly have pica. My dog Desi has it. I have discussed this with my vet and really haven't been given any clear cut solution/diagnosis except that this isn't all that uncommon and to watch him. We've been really lucky, IMO, that Desi hasn't had to have any surgery yet. He eats all kinds of stuff. Paper is a favorite. He eats underwear, socks, towels, plastic, etc. Oh, and he loves his toys, but also loves to eat them. I watch him like a hawk! Like I said before, luckily everything has "passed" naturally (eww lol!). I haven't been able to find out much about pica. And yes, I feel boredom may play a part in it. Desi also has some behavior issues and, because of that, he doesn't always get the exsercise (spell?) he needs. He is, and will always be, a work in progress. We love him anyway. Good luck!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that dogs can have pica, I have seen several dogs who would eat anything they could get their mouths around. Batteries, tampons, anything. I do not think Landen was in his crate for any longer than usual or anything. He has been crated since he was a puppy (we got him at 12 weeks, he slept in a crate his first night with us). What struck me as weird is that this is brand new behavior at 4 years old. I guess we will just have to be more careful with him. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts