Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Europe next month and am only bringing a carry-on bag:fear:, which means only one lens for my Canon 80D. It'll be a short trip - 2 days in London, 2 days in Germany (Munich), and 4 days in Czech Republic (travelling around). I have two lenses to choose from:

1. 50mm f/1.8
This one I bought thinking it would be great for the trip since it's so small and lightweight. And I love the lower f-stops on this lens. However, having used it a few times I'm finding it's not a wide enough angle for a lot of shots. Considering the close buildings and being inside some of the times, I'm starting to wonder if this is the best choice.

2. 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6
This is the lens that came with the camera. I initially decided not to take it because it adds significant bulk and weight to my camera (which is not small to begin with). Having the wider angle and the option to zoom in is a huge plus though. But it won't be as good in low light situations.

I will be carrying the camera with me everywhere I go so weight is definitely a factor to consider. There will even be times when I have to carry my entire carry-on bag for the day.

I'm not a great photographer. The camera is fairly new to me so I'm not as familiar with it as I'd like to be. I will have my phone camera as backup. :doh: I'm sure there will be many times those photos will turn out better than the ones from my big camera.

What are your thoughts?

·
Banned
5 Posts
Maybe it will be useful in future. If you can pick only one lens then choose universality. 18-135mm, f/3.5-5.6 is a good option for this. For landscape shots, for architecture, for portraits. Yeap, you won't be able to take better shots in low light conditions but I guess all main tourist spots are visited during day time. I'm going to New Your https://worldcams.tv/united-states/new-york/times-square soon and I take my cam with me. I'm an amateur photographer too but I always pick 3 lenses. A kit lens which is 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, a telephoto one - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, and a high-aperture f1.8 35mm.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I ended up bringing the 18-135. The 50mm was just too close for most things. I've discovered it's really only good for portraits/close-ups.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts