Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forum I have a question and could use some advice.

I have an almost 8 yr old female Golden Retriever who is generally healthy (after getting both hips replaced.) 2 years ago she was put on a drug called Phenobarbital after having 2 seizures. It has worked wonders as she hasn't had a seizure since but unfortunately though shes been packing on the pounds too. One of the side effects is weight gain. Shes been put on a diet for a while now and is being walked and played with almost daily yet I can't seem to get her under 85 lbs. Shes been fluctuating between 88-95lbs. It has me worried because the extra weight can't be good for her hips.

I need some advice. Should I talk to her vet about switching drugs or just exercise her a little more?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I would talk to the vet. Drugs are a balancing act between side effects and benefits. You are right, the extra weight is bad for the hips, but seizures would be worse overall.

Did they figure out why she had seizures?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! I'll be sure to bring it up the next time I go in.

They never did figure out why she had them, her 1st seizure she had they kinda ignored since she never had them before but after her 2nd one which was about a few months later they just took a blood test to see if her liver was good and put her on the drug to prevent more seizures from happening.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
thanks! I'll be sure to bring it up the next time I go in.

They never did figure out why she had them, her 1st seizure she had they kinda ignored since she never had them before but after her 2nd one which was about a few months later they just took a blood test to see if her liver was good and put her on the drug to prevent more seizures from happening.

I'm surprised that they would put her on PB after only two seizures, months apart. Generally, meds are recommended if the dog is seizuring frequently or having clusters.
In addition to exercise, you can decrease her food. If you cook some frozen green beans, they can be added in, to give her the feeling she's getting more to eat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks im gonna give that a try. shes a golden so im sure she'll eat it. she eats everything including her own potty (and other dogs sometimes) unfortunately. shes been doin that off and on since she was 6 weeks old. we've tried everything including putting pepper spray on her poop and she still ate it/

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota will eat anything, including rocks, plastic and cigarette butts. Walks are so exciting!

I would ask if it is necessary to keep your girl on PB. Two seizures, two months apart, and the PB is causing weight gain? I'd discuss it with your vet and maybe get a second opinion.

DO NOT take her off the PB yourself. That would cause a very nasty seizure. PB has to be carefully weaned off.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Kabota will eat anything, including rocks, plastic and cigarette butts. Walks are so exciting!

I would ask if it is necessary to keep your girl on PB. Two seizures, two months apart, and the PB is causing weight gain? I'd discuss it with your vet and maybe get a second opinion.

DO NOT take her off the PB yourself. That would cause a very nasty seizure. PB has to be carefully weaned off.
Another option might be potassium bromide (KBr) along with the PB, and when the KBr has reached a theraputic level (I think it takes about a month) start weaning of the PB at the direction of your vet. With Willie, PB was never effective but KBr definitely helped. It also didn't make him want to eat anything that didn't try to eat him first. I found the best way to get the KBr was to have my vet write a prescription to a compounding pharmacy. It was given as a liquid (beef flavored by the pharmacist) on his food.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts