Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past week and a half my dog has been itching*. In that time we have found a total of 2 fleas on him. I can't seem to find any other evidence of a flea presence. No flea dirt, and no other fleas when I comb through his fur (but I know they can be sneaky). Frontline has done nothing.

I'm beginning to wonder if the two fleas we've found have just been coincidence (he might have picked them up outside) and maybe his itching is something else (food allergy??). Has anyone else had a confirmed flea problem when the fleas were so scarce?

I found some Capstar on Amazon for ~$20 for ten tablets, so I'll probably get some as well as something else to treat the other stages, and continue to treat this as a flea problem in the meantime.

Just wondering if I've got ninja fleas or possibly no fleas at all and if anyone else has had this experience.

The absence of flea dirt is what's really got me questioning.

*I probably seem horrible, allowing my dog to itch for so long, but I was expecting the Frontline to kick in and help.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can set them off for a month. And if you see 2 fleas, you know there's a lot more that you don't see.

But, yeah, I'd get some other spot-on (I'm liking Revolution right now), preferably one that also takes care of lice and mites. That plus the Capstar should nuke those beastly bugs.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I had a dog who would blow up like a balloon with a single bite. Fleas are a huge cause of allergic reactions. If you have seen them, you have them.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. It puts my mind at ease, knowing that I'm treating the right thing.

Last night I actually had a dream that I found flea dirt on Mumble and I was so happy to have evidence. Haha. Kind of weird but I guess that's how worried I've been about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts