Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a new member. My interest at the moment is to understand how to get the puppy I want. I am interested in an English Setter. Mine was often very disinterested and independent. She was however, exceptionally sweet and well behaved. I've seen at shows, breeders dogs are friendly, affectionate dogs. How does this personality come through when looking at a litter?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Welcome to DF!

I don't know anything about English Setters, but I do understand most reputable breeders will select your puppy for you, or at least aid you in your selection, based on what qualities you are looking for in a dog. Many will perform a temperament test before the puppies go home to evaluate them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. You are right. But everything I have read says differently. One should be able to see the whole litter and choose based on what you have said. Afterall a dog is for life!

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I never did get to see the rest of my puppy's litter, but I trusted his breeder to know the pups a whole lot more than I did, so I went ahead and let him pick. Of course, seeing the entire litter is a great idea as well. Many people will view the litter and listen to the breeder's recommendations, comments, and evaluations of each individual puppy.

Good luck getting your pup, hope you keep us updated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts