Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm ignorant and not a farmer, so I don't know anything about how farm animals are kept, but I got so sick seeing the animals at our local fair's petting zoo today that I took pictures of the puppies (someone walked up to one of them as I was taking a pic and said "OMG is that puppy DEAD?") and I hauled my kid out of there. Now I'm trying to figure out if I'm just ignorant and should let the farmers do their thing, or if I should be contacting an animal welfare agency. Definitely, they are breeding puppies haphazardly. They had two different breeds of pups there at slightly different ages and last year they had an entirely different breed of puppies as well as an other little of one of the breeds they had today. They sell guinea pigs at $20/each every year.

I know it's a hot day (30C) and even the most well kept animals are going to be a bit logey, but the one odd pup out (only one her/his age and breed) looked in pretty rough shape. They were all covered in flies and lethargic. I'm no expert but I suspect the black one was too young to be away from Mom and there was not a single adult dog in sight.

That's the little lethargic one who appeared to have skin issues and was completely covered in flies.

There are 3 of these ones and at least 2 of them were moving around a little bit more.

The farm farm animals were pretty sleepy too, but at least a little more lively. They weren't any cleaner and I get that it's a farm and they're not supposed to be like freshly bathed babies.....so, dog expert people, am I over-reacting, or should I be doing something about this?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Fairs always make me squeamy. They leave the rabbits and chickens to die from the heat (and half of the ones that don't die are left there. . .I don't want to know what the fairgrounds people do with them after everyone leaves), leave the 4H dogs tied to trees unattended with no water getting flybitten ears so the kids can go play on the rides, and the livestock never have water (well, an odd cow or goat here and there who has a caring owner, but not most of them). I don't think anything would be done even if you reported it. . .it's an agricultural tradition, ya know! And it's not like the sheriff doesn't know what's going on.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Man, those are some wormy looking bellies! I don't think I have ever been impressed with the condition of any animals I've ever seen at a fair/petting zoo. I don't think there's much that you could do really though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
They might not really be able to do anything, but I would for sure go ahead and call someone. You never know and you might save a life.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wow I had to look twice at the black puppy. I wasn't sure if it was a puppy or a pot bellied piglet. I would definitely had called someone about them. They look sick in the photos. if they had no water I'd have stolen ice from coolers to give them some.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
...first off. why are there dogs are a petting zoo? I thought the point of a petting zoo was to give people an experience with animals they wouldn't normally get to see.
We have a fair of sorts here every year -no petting zoo this year- but there are camels, zebras, bear cats, different sorts of goats and sheep, lemurs and birds. They're all kept supplied with fresh water, fans, shade and food. I don't believe they're animals that are bred, but more rescue animals. Who knows, but at least they're taken decent care of.

The puppies in those pictures look ill, much more than just beyond the heat. That water is filthy.
I agree with Leah, I would call someone. Whatever animal welfare authorities you have, I would notify them and have them come out. Those pups look in bad shape.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It really makes my blood boil when I see abused/neglected animals or people mistreating their animals. Its probably not the best approach, and certainly not the most effective, but I tend to confront the person. Not Just if someone is a little over aggressive in their correction (although I'm certainly opposed) but where it is gross neglect or abuse. I would definitely feel like the pictures you posted would fit.

In this case it might be best to talk to farmer before calling anyone. It's possible (although not seemingly likely) that they are being treated for something, or for specific reasons in those conditions temporarily. I think a return visit will make it clear. If same conditions are observed/farmer is antagonistic, or apathetic definitely call. Just my opinion

1 - 7 of 7 Posts