Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Petsmart for toys, etc, but Petco for treats and stuff, since they have healthier options. However, I usually end up going to the small pet shops around here locally for my food and treats. Petsmart is specifically toys usually.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I went to Petsmart and purchased 3 items, one item being Nutro Natural Choice Small Bites 5LBS bag. I didn't have enough money for 3 item's so I took out the box of dog biscuits. Petsmart charged me $14.99 for the Nutro Natural Choice Small Bites 5LBS bag. I was at Pet Pals pet store to buy the dog biscuits I didn't have enough money earlier. Pet Pals is closer to my house. I looked at their price for Nutro Natural Choice Small Bites 5LBS bag. PET PALS CHARGE $9.29 and PETSMART CHARGED ME $14.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That is a difference of $5.70. I got ROBBED. $5.70 DIFFERENCE ON A $14.99 item. I returned PETSMARTS NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE $14.99 and BOUGHT IT FOR $9.29 postd everyday low price at PET PALS. NO WONDER I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY FOR 3 ITEMS AT PETSMART. BEWARE OF OVER PRICING AT PETSMART

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my area, I've found the PetsMarts to be a lot more professional. The local Petco's just sort of give me the feel of a mall pet store, but significantly more expensive (which is crazy).

Honestly, if there were any decent local stores, I would probably be going there. However, there aren't. Toys are generally cheaper online, I usually end up looking at toys in PetsMart or Petco, then finding it online. Amazon is my friend. =) As for food, Blue Buffalo is about $1.50 cheaper at PetsMart, plus its less than a mile from my house, so that works for me.

·
Banned
830 Posts
We have a Petco and a Petsmart, about 3 mins away from each other. Who knows why, but it sure is convenient! Petsmart is good for Tucker supplies, plus they sell Blue Buffalo. Petcos selection on dogfood is horrible, IMO. Petco has GREAT ferret supplies! But it stinks in there, really bad. Petsmart is always super clean and their workers are really friendly.

And at Petsmart I get to say hi to all the kitties in the adpotion area. I wish I could bring them all home :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
I do very little shopping at either of them. Our local pet stores have much better pricing and I would argue better selection as well.

That being said- I do go to Petco for the treat bar occasionally. They have some cute bulk cookies I get every now and then. And PetSmart has a pretty good selection of toys for reasonable prices- I'll usually stop in there when one toy has been destroyed and we're looking to replace it with something new.

Unless I'm looking for an excuse to take the dog for a car ride, I rarely go to either of them.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I prefer petco. It is cleaner, bigger and priced similiarly. I don't buy food at either of them, I frequent farm and tack stores as you can buy more for less money. I mostly just use them for treats and speciality things like car harnesses, etc that wally world doesn't have.

·
Banned
830 Posts
I prefer petco. It is cleaner, bigger and priced similiarly. I don't buy food at either of them, I frequent farm and tack stores as you can buy more for less money. I mostly just use them for treats and speciality things like car harnesses, etc that wally world doesn't have.
I thought I was the only one that called it Wally World! Lmao!

Sorry...tangent...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Until recently I always preferred Petsmart over Petco, but this has changed with my new dog. While the Petsmart by my house is definitely cheaper, the Petco is a huge store, is better lit, has wider aisles, and a much-much wider selection than Petsmart with a lot of cool toys, treats, pet products, etc.

Also, when I ask the people at Petco questions they're knowledgeable and friendly, but otherwise they leave me alone...and I can't stress how grateful I am for this because a lot of times I just like to browse and usually I'll impulse buy more when I can browse. The Petsmart by my house though has these people working there who are rushing to take care of my every need and when I express what I'm looking (and what I know I want) they act as if I'm an idiot and then go on to (not by actually saying it but by attitude) explain how much more knowledgeable and correct they are in everything they say; actually one of them did say how she “knows” something that I wound up laughing about because what she said was so off base.

A good example of this attitude is a few weeks back I was looking for an anit-bloat bowl for Willow, I'd researched bloat, basset hounds and how anti-bloat bowls are good for them. Petsmart didn't have them. The lady there told me that while I could order them off the internet "pet stores, period, don't carry them anymore, they've all switched to this, and this is by far superior to that bowl," and she sold me some heavy ball to put in Willows food bowl for her to eat around -- which required me to buy her a larger eating dish that her ears dropped into. Also with the ball in there, Willow would panic at her food, try to eat around it and then get so distraught she'd give up. A few days later was the first time I went to the Petco by me and of course, they had the bowl I wanted, and of course it works perfectly just like the basset hound sites I had read said it would. The elitist attitudes of my local Petsmart workers annoys me to no end.

Also, when I recently looked into puppy classes at both anticipating enrolling Willow, myself and my boyfriend into one in the near future the Petco has more classes, better hours, and lots of different break downs (like I can enroll in basic puppy training but they also have a socialization "class", refresher courses, older dog classes, trick training classes, and they host seminars of all sorts and kinds where have single day “classes” to get new info and learn new things) and they had several classes to chose from that would be just-starting from day one. The Petsmart by comparison offered only 2 courses that were just starting out, the hours would be difficult to make, and they kept pressuring me to enroll in one ‘right now’ because they ‘only had a few spots left,’ I don’t even yet have a vet clearance for my pup to do much more than lay like a lump with the occasional walk and play, and she’s only had her first series of shots...I was just looking into it...and I explained this to them, but they kept putting on the pressure. They also seemed to just stage their classes like puppy training I, puppy training II, etc. which I didn’t like.

Anyway, given my experiences with the two where I live, I've actually decided I'd rather spend more and buy from the Petco than go the cheaper route at Petsmart...it's probably not the best decision since budget is a bit of a concern for me, but the lesser headache is well worth the few extra dollars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree, I definitely like Petsmart better. The staff is always helpful and even share their experiences with you so you know from the start about a product. I would never go to Petco again. I tried it twice, but it didnt work for me. I wont go into one even if its only for a tennis ball! hhaha. Well I guess PETSMART FOR THE WIN :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it all depends on what your buying. I do agree that Petsmart is a cleaner store that Petco...or at least in my area it is. As far as customer service I think there about the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think petco and petsmart are way over priced, you could get the same products half the cost online and have it shipped right to your door. I usually go to petco if I am in need of something right away, they usually are better priced then petsmart. When buying online use froogle and you will get a list of store, the new store I when with is wholesale-dog-supplies.com my order shipped the same day. So if your looking for a particular item I would shop around theres alot better deals out there.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
PetCo has the better foods, honestly there's very little at Petsmart I'd feed, they're really just a giant Walmart pet section and the only thing of decent quality is thier Blue Buffalo brand (which makes my dogs sick).

·
Registered
683 Posts
We do not have Petco in our area, so if I had to choose, I would pick Petsmart. However, I TOTALLY agree with John:
you can try a small independent pet food store. you'll get better service, a better selection of quality foods, and maybe lower prices too.
In my experience, there is no comparison when looking at a major chain versus a good local store. MUCH better foods offered, personalized care, and more affordable. Overall, much more bang for your buck!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I do not use either of them anymore, but when I did, I prefered Petco over Petsmart.
What I use now is dog.com. Prices are better, customer service is fabulous!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts