Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you prefer? Who has better customer service? Better prices? Better selection/variety?

I pick PetSmart. Hate Petco.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i like petsmart's toy/bone selection and the way the stores are set up better. i like petco's variety of food more by far. both are still very over-priced as far as i'm concerned. :p

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think it really depends on management. I am biased, I know, since I work at Petco. In my area, we have both very close together. While I think Petsmarts prices are better, our customer service and cleanliness can not be beat. But like I said, it depends on the store. I have been told numerous times by a few customers that another petco in my district is TERRIBLE, rude, dirty, poor animal care, etc. I can't say because I have never been to that store, but I beleive it.

Poor management = poor service

What I am learning is that pet stores are not the places to buy dog food because it is overpriced at these specialty places. I am also learning that chew bones are also better purchased elsewhere. For example, I buy my dog food at feed stores. I just found Taste of the Wild (the big bag) for 38.99 which is the cheapest I have found it anywhere and it is at Agway. Also, I can get one free dog bone at my local meat shop everyday if I decide to, and at my local Farmer's market, a smoked beef hock or joint is only two dollars. They are huge, very similar to pet store products, and smell a heck of a lot better...probably healthier too. And MUCH cheaper.

I think you should frequent both as they both offer different things. I do know that Petco is striving for excellent customer service and if you aren't getting that at your petco, by all means call the corporate number (check your receipt).

·
Registered
242 Posts
you can try a small independent pet food store. you'll get better service, a better selection of quality foods, and maybe lower prices too.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I like both for different reasons. Petsmart has better prices, and a better selection on toys and treats, it offers a daycare that I use occasionally for short visits that Bella seems to like.

Petco is closer to me for a quick stop in. They also sell feeder rats for my snake, whereas Petsmart does not.

I don't buy food at either one because they don't sell the food that I buy.

Customer service and cleanliness is great and comparable at both of my local stores. They all seem very knowledgeable and very quick to help when I have questions.

My Petco did a quick nail clipping free of charge on Bella a couple of weeks ago because I can't do it (she gives me 9 kinds of hell when I try!) and they said her nails weren't long enough to charge for.

The store clerks at both know Bella by name because we go so often, and just love her, though they all think it's funny she won't eat the treats they keep by the registers. lol She's a treat snob.

We're moving in a couple of months, and we're going to miss them all! :(

What I like about both of them is that they encourage pet adoptions and hold adoption fairs on certain Saturdays. Although I don't donate every time, I also like that they ask for donations to help homeless animals. I like the activist mentality that they have, and that they aren't pet shops that sell puppies and cats from breeders for profit.

Overall, there are things I wish they did more of - like sell real meaty bones like another specialty pet store I have been to, sell a larger variety of better foods, sell a larger variety of toys - especially those that they have on their websites but don't offer in-store. But, generally speaking, I am satisfied with them both. Bella loves them both.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
When I lived by these stores I liked each for different reasons. I got the cat litter at Petco and the beds and toys at Petsmart. Food was always bought at a small pet store I found near my apartment that had a wide variety of great foods. I bought wet cat food whenever I saw something Lily might like. Certain items call out to me "Lily wants this!":p

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I like Petco better than Petsmart. I went to both yesterday and Petco's employees were friendlier. At Petsmart, I went to ask a question and the employee wouldn't even look at me. It was rude! Petco has treats that Scrappy likes--but Petsmart doesn't have them.

Neither of them have the leash I want! LOL I bought the collar at Petco about a month ago, and went back for the leash--they no longer carry the brand. I had to order it online at Petco.com.

I prefer Petco.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I like petco more, here they have more in the store, the store is also bigger and has a lot of different lanes for dogs.
This kind of depends on the area where you live, I think, because my Petco is very small with a very limited variety of things, whereas our new Petsmart is absolutely HUGE with a vast array of all kinds of products.

However, the Petco near where I work is much larger than the one near my home. And the Petsmart where we will be moving this summer is much smaller than the one near me now, and doesn't have alot of the services mine here does. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
This kind of depends on the area where you live, I think, because my Petco is very small with a very limited variety of things, whereas our new Petsmart is absolutely HUGE with a vast array of all kinds of products.

However, the Petco near where I work is much larger than the one near my home. And the Petsmart where we will be moving this summer is much smaller than the one near me now, and doesn't have alot of the services mine here does. :rolleyes:
That sucks, can't get a happy medium. lol Well where i live, there is 2 petsmarts that i can thin of to go to, both are nice, one a little better than the other. And i think one petco, but i could be wrong. We go to petco more though, its in the town we go to the most.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Can't really answer there is no petco anywhere close to me:( We do have a chain that is called petcetera which often has really great deals on fish:) And both of them get all their dogs and cats from local rescue places and not from breeders or puppy mills.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Our PetSmart is larger than our Petco but also more expensive. I purposely priced the exact same items at both stores and PetSmart was always more expensive. Also everytime I have been in PetSmart I have been one of the two customers in there and the employees just stand around and don't even greet you as you go by them.

I guess I am a little biased to Petco since they have free puppy socialization hours that I took Flash to when we first got her. So now all the employees greet us enthusiastically when we go in. However we haven't been going there as much since we joined a Saturday playgroup at the same time now. Also I much prefer to shop at Tractor Supply. Prices are better and I like items I find there that I haven't found at Petco or PetSmart like the Dogswell Chicken Jerky treats (only ingredients are chicken breast, Vitamin E, flaxseed, and Vitamin A).

·
Registered
22 Posts
i used to be a big fish person, and because of that, i don't really like either one. the Petsmart by my house seems OK, but i much prefer the smaller stores. usually, i go to Denny's pet world for treats and toys, but just yesterday i discovered Mud Bay. they have great salespeople who really know what a dog needs and know about their products, and their prices are actually lower than the other stores around here.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I don't buy food from either, so the toy/misc. section is most important, lol! And by far, Petsmart has better selection in that department. I do think both are overpriced, though. As far as service, I honestly prefer the stores back in Fort Worth over the Dallas stores, lol! I haven't noticed an overall difference significant enough to count between Petco and Petsmart. Individual employees have different personalities. Last time I went to Petco, though, the employees were kind of annoying, lol! There were like 6 employees standing at the door, half on each side standing in a row, staring at me as I walked in like they had been expecting me or something, lol! It was pretty weird. And about every 30 seconds someone popped out of no where and startled me to ask if I was finding everything alright :D Oy vay!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Petco charges way more for the same products. Petsmart has much better value.

That said, I don't hate Petco. They have things I like, including (I think) saltwater fish, which Petsmart does not deal with. But, why pay $18 for a collar I can get at Petsmart for $10? Or whatever...

I would never attend training classes except for advanced competitive obedience or agility, and clearly I would go to a dog training club for that. So, the classes do not factor into my opinion at all.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts