Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 year 4 month old Morkiepoo. I've been trying to train him on my own but I think we might benefit from a class. I have trained him to sit, stay, shake when a treat is involved but I can't seem to transition him into being motivated without seeing the treat. His leash behavior use to be good but now he's back slid (trying to chase birds, pulling, not listening to me.) He's pushing his limits. His potty training has also suffered. He asks to go outside to pee but not poop. I keep an eye on him but accidents happen. We have a Petsmart and Feeders Supply that I know do classes (in southern indiana). What's your opinion on those, other trainers or should I just continue on my own.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
PetSmart has very small training spaces which I think limits their class benefits.

Feeders have various spaces as each location is different. I suggest observing a class at your location. Training methods are fine if a bit basic.

Consider crossing the bridge of your choice and look into the Kentucky Humane Society classes. They have multiple levels and variety of spaces. Another good option is in the far east end at Almost Home Boarding and Training. Very experienced and with the benefit that if you need to board him later, it can be at a familiar place with familiar people.

Your training difficulties are very common and most any positive reinforcement trainer should be competent to help so I would probably focus on cost, location (setting, space, not just map location) and time

·
Registered
363 Posts
I attended the Petsmart class with one of our dogs. Our pooch did learn some basic commands. However, we found he made much more progress when we hired a private trainer that came to the house once a week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts