Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a situation has arisen where we have a last-minute need to put our pup Pixel somewhere for the day (tomorrow!), and I'm looking at day camps. The one that makes the most sense (it's on our way and has the right hours) is PetSmart's and they have an evaluation process. I just want to know how much time to allot for this evaluation process- does anyone have experience with this?

And if anyone happens to have experience with Doggie Day Camp at the PetSmart in Lewisville, Texas, feel free to let me know...though I bet that's a long shot! :)

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i manage a dog daycare, and i am the one who does every dogs evaluation process. set yourself time to be able to do the paperwork needed (you may have enough time to do this while your dog is being tested). we have a "20min test" as we call it. typically though, i know within 5 min if a dog will be accepted or not... sometimes it only takes 2 seconds lol. ive had dogs come in that were lunging and growling at me in the lobby... i dont think i need to evaluate them! lol. dogs who have had a lot of experience with other dogs tend to test very quickly and do well. other dogs, and dogs who have some separation anxieties take a little more time. i would set yourself about a 1/2 hour - 45min to get this done to be on the safe side because i dont know how quickly they will test or will get someone ready to get you tested.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I just started taking my boy Jubel to daycare back in October. I filled out the paperwork before hand (online form) and made an appointment for the evaluation. Showed up at the appointment time, they took him back, less than 10 minutes later they brought him back out and said he did great.

This was on a Saturday and I know Jubel is a brat and can be obnoxious sometime so I worried to myself about him acting up when left long enough. So I left him to hang out and play for the rest of the day, about 4-5 hours, to see how he'd do. They said he was a bit shy but there were no problems. Over the next few weeks he went to daycare once a week and I always expected some negative report because I'm paranoid about what I can't see but every time they said he was more comfortable and playing great with everyone. Now I get to here how great he is with all the new dogs on their first days, how he always gets them playing and how happy he always is.

Your dog not being used to a daycare environment might be nervous and not do much more than sit quietly in a corner most of the time or they may love it from the get go and have a blast. My guy was a bit slow to really feel relaxed there at first but he loves it now and has a blast.

The right daycare can be great and Jubel will be spending his first night there in 2 weeks. I'll be going to an all day concert event and everyone I trust to watch Jubel is either going to the concert too or out of town so Jubel gets to spend the day and night at daycare.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts