Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to order some deer antlers but never got around to it. I just noticed today that Petsmart had a small selection available. Most of them were small sections (though I don't know what the typical size/length they are when ordered) and then some were really skinny, while others were a little fatter.

When I picked one up I was surprised at how light it was and how brittle it seemed to sound. Is that normal? Has anyone bought deer antlers from Petsmart? Are theirs just as good as from online sites. (Can't think of the suggested site name at the moment.)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I haven't seen the ones at Petsmart, but the ones I've bought have all been quite heavy and not very brittle seeming.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I get my own.... Sorry... Take em right off the deer..... I will tell you this..... I do find sheds now and then. And have used them. But I much prefer to use ones I take off the deer,

·
Registered
259 Posts
Though I've yet to purchase any, I have read that those from the big stores are treated with in such a way that they are indeed significantly different from otherwise "fresh" antlers. Obvious in their color, and that while they'll last a while, they definitely aren't as long-lasting as otherwise untreated ones. I've been meaning to order some off of ebay, being a pretty decent source for any size or sort that you want in all sorts of quantities and prices.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I bought one for Bella from Petco - it was slim, light and smooth....and it splintered. I threw it away.

I like the big, gnarly ones - wicked expensive, but it lasts forever. Although she gets bored with it after she can't get to the marrow anymore. (Is it still called marrow in an antler?) I think the big one she has might be elk...?

·
Banned
964 Posts
I purchased Antlers from Petco and also Petsmart.
Over $20 for the largest thickest ones.
At first they seemed to be a great Chew Toy , My dog really loves them.
But they dont last very long if you have an agressive chewer.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I got one from Amazon (the "Elk Snack Rack") that lasted quite awhile, like more than a month. But then I got two others, an elk one and a deer one, from our local fancy pet store, and those did not last nearly as long. I thought maybe Biscuit got more efficient, but maybe the quality varies. I've never had one splinter though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts