Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, some PETA folks got into an argument with Bad Rap folks at a Pride Parade last weekend:

According to the Peta rep's tirade, Jonny and Uba stole good homes from other needy dogs, so Tim and Letti should just learn to accept death for pit bulls and Save the Poodles. Or something like that. (We're still not clear on that)

Like any sane pet owner, Tim and Letti disagreed and stood steady, which shook up the Peta girl. They were each holding parade-worn pit bulls after all ... who knew what they could do with them? So she called for a security guy to save her from the terrible distress of looking two former victims of cruelty in the eye. Needless to say, it wasn't a productive conversation.
The full story is here.

I just find it interesting that the PETA girls claimed that rescuing a Pit Bull 'steals homes' from more worthy dogs, just like PETA claims purebred dogs do. It really shows how that entire 'buying a dog kills a shelter dog' line PETA always spews has nothing to do with reality, they just change it to 'rescuing a Pit Bull kills a shelter dog' just as easily. It's really kind of pathetic to show how out of touch with reality these people are.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Apparently, some PETA folks got into an argument with Bad Rap folks at a Pride Parade last weekend:

The full story is here.

I just find it interesting that the PETA girls claimed that rescuing a Pit Bull 'steals homes' from more worthy dogs, just like PETA claims purebred dogs do. It really shows how that entire 'buying a dog kills a shelter dog' line PETA always spews has nothing to do with reality, they just change it to 'rescuing a Pit Bull kills a shelter dog' just as easily. It's really kind of pathetic to show how out of touch with reality these people are.
I would agree if the dogs' have had aggression issues in the past. Though that is for any breed- Pit Bull to Poodle. If any of them have had aggression issues (DA or towards people) then I do disagree with it. There are plenty of dogs in shelters without those issues. However- if they were simply abused then no, I don't agree.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think any reasonable person believes vicious dogs should be put up for adoption.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I don't think any reasonable person believes vicious dogs should be put up for adoption.
Nor do I, but if an organization like BadRap has the manpower, the knowledge and the funding to save dogs that do have issues, it is nobody else's business. We all have our areas of interest. Some folks don't wish to or don't have the ability to be able to save dogs with issues but some enjoy the challenge and have the right situation to responsibly do so.

As far as I am concerned PITA is a useless organization. I would much rather see these folks put their time, money and energy into the shelters themselves but... we all have our areas of interest and they have the right to do that, I guess.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
As far as I am concerned PITA is a useless organization. I would much rather see these folks put their time, money and energy into the shelters themselves but... we all have our areas of interest and they have the right to do that, I guess.
I mostly agree, but think they're a bit worse than that. My main problems with them is not that I disagree with their purpose (I disagree with a lot of people, but don't necessarily despise them the way I do with PETA), but that they misrepresent themselves to the public specifically in order to attract donations. Their kill rate is probably the worst example of this - they openly say they are not an animal shelter, but rather than explain this to people who surrender animals to them, or to send the animals to local animal control, they kill the animals brought to them at a 97% rate. Moreover, people would be far less inclined to support them if they understood what they actually did. Their existance is dependant largely on the support of 'useful idiots' - people who love animals without understanding what was actually happening behind the scenes.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Their existance is dependant largely on the support of 'useful idiots' - people who love animals without understanding what was actually happening behind the scenes.
And much to my dismay, I JUST had a conversation with a friend on FB who literally knows NOTHING about PETA, but her liking the group showed up in my feed. I left her a comment asking why she supported PETA and she said she doesn't like the "stunts" they do, but likes what they do for animals. I was so baffled and naturally hit her with a thousand sources on why not to support PETA. It is kind of amazing how people will support things blindly when the information is right at her fingertips.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I mostly agree, but think they're a bit worse than that. My main problems with them is not that I disagree with their purpose (I disagree with a lot of people, but don't necessarily despise them the way I do with PETA), but that they misrepresent themselves to the public specifically in order to attract donations. Their kill rate is probably the worst example of this - they openly say they are not an animal shelter, but rather than explain this to people who surrender animals to them, or to send the animals to local animal control, they kill the animals brought to them at a 97% rate. Moreover, people would be far less inclined to support them if they understood what they actually did. Their existance is dependant largely on the support of 'useful idiots' - people who love animals without understanding what was actually happening behind the scenes.

I agree 100%. I had said "we all have our areas of interest and they have the right to do that, I guess" because even though I do not agree at all with what they do, they usually (not always) work within the law. I wish more people knew what they were truly all about and how protesting in the way they often do actually cause more animal suffering then stop it. I am thinking of them walking up to people wearing furs and throwing red paint on them. Guess what those people did... Buy a new fur with their insurance money, which caused more animal deaths.

You are right, most people that give to them are doing so thinking that they will help animals. Animal lover's that can't be involved in the hands on part of animal welfare but still want to help rush in with money in hand to donate to PETA. They don't get involved enough to really know what is up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts