1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Great article! I'm a little surprised because Huffington Post seems to be in bed with Wayne Pacelle. He frequently writes editorials for them. I wonder when they will discover that H$U$ is philosophically simply PeTA with suits and better personal hygene.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
And here I always thought PETA wanted to save all animals and instead they're killing them? Thanks for the article; I never liked their organization to begin with. And here's another reason why.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
. Former PETA employees, disgusted with the butchery they have witnessed in Norfolk, have called for PETA's founder, Ingrid Newkirk, not simply to resign, but to face charges. They argue that she ought to be held to the same standards that rightly applied to football player Michael Vick.
It'll never happen, but I wish it would. PETA has killed far more dogs than Vick every dreamed of.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
The Norfolk facility has been there for years, walk in freezer and all. The PETA employees are just now realizing how bad it is?

I really hope this passes.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
And here I always thought PETA wanted to save all animals and instead they're killing them? Thanks for the article; I never liked their organization to begin with. And here's another reason why.
I don't know, I think you could argue that humanely euthanizing an animal is ethical if the animal would otherwise languish in a cage in an overcrowded shelter. (I'm not saying I support the practice, because I don't.) I'm vegan and I don't like PETA... I kind of think the only people who do are PETA employees and idealistic teenagers. You catch more flies with honey and all that jazz...

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I don't know, I think you could argue that humanely euthanizing an animal is ethical if the animal would otherwise languish in a cage in an overcrowded shelter. (I'm not saying I support the practice, because I don't.) I'm vegan and I don't like PETA... I kind of think the only people who do are PETA employees and idealistic teenagers. You catch more flies with honey and all that jazz...
I think there should be an honest effort made to rehome good candidate animals. Do you recall when PeTA employees got busted for going around to the animal shelters and talked them into giving them dogs and cats, which they then offed in the parking lot and dumped in various businesses dumpsters. HSUS and PeTA believe that the only safe animal is a dead animal.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Thats kinda disturbing news...
Is there an alternative Animal Rights Organization that doesnt kill animals and throw them in dumpsters?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Thats kinda disturbing news...
Is there an alternative Animal Rights Organization that doesnt kill animals and throw them in dumpsters?
Well, I haven't heard of H$U$ putting animals in other people's dumpsters. However, after a big money raising campaign for Michael Vick's dogs, they recommended (unsuccessfully) to the court that all the dogs be destroyed. (And, then they hired Michael Vick as a spokesman). In numerous dog fight seizures they've successfully petitioned the courts to kill infant puppies whose eyes weren't even open yet, based on where they came from (and, of course, their breed). The thing is, the most basic premise of Animal Rights is that any ownership or use of any type of animal is exploitation. And the goal is to end animal usage by humans for any reason. So, to organizations like PeTA and H$U$ dead is safer than alive. If you enjoy having animals and you love animals, your time and money would be better spent supporting your local shelters and animal welfare organizations than looking for a "better" animal rights organization.

·
Banned
964 Posts
If you enjoy having animals and you love animals, your time and money would be better spent supporting your local shelters and animal welfare organizations than looking for a "better" animal rights organization.
Whats the difference between" Animal Welfare Organizations" and "Animal Rights Organizations"?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Whats the difference between" Animal Welfare Organizations" and "Animal Rights Organizations"?
There are many intricacies so this is not black and white but this quote, I believe, speaks to the main difference:

"Animal welfare groups seek to ensure the humane treatment of animals like a local humane animal shelter. Rather, as pointed out by Animalscam.com, animal rights groups seek equal rights for animals with humans to prevent people from using or owning animals in any way. Animal welfare organizations have been around for centuries. Animal rights groups emerged in the 1980s with the rise of PETA."​

This is the source of that quote: - http://www.cfact.org/a/370/Crucial-difference-in-animal-welfare-and-rights

Some others to read are here: http://homepages.sover.net/~lsudlow/ARvsAW.htm http://animalrights.about.com/od/animalrights101/a/RightsvWelfare.htm

SOB

·
Banned
964 Posts
There are many intricacies so this is not black and white but this quote, I believe, speaks to the main difference:

"Animal welfare groups seek to ensure the humane treatment of animals like a local humane animal shelter. Rather, as pointed out by Animalscam.com, animal rights groups seek equal rights for animals with humans to prevent people from using or owning animals in any way. Animal welfare organizations have been around for centuries. Animal rights groups emerged in the 1980s with the rise of PETA."​

This is the source of that quote: - http://www.cfact.org/a/370/Crucial-difference-in-animal-welfare-and-rights

Some others to read are here: http://homepages.sover.net/~lsudlow/ARvsAW.htm http://animalrights.about.com/od/animalrights101/a/RightsvWelfare.htm

SOB
Whut?
Im not sure...Explain it to me like Im 11 years old

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The easiest way to explain the difference is that AR groups want to see animal ownership banned. Animal welfare groups want humane treatment for animals.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
What I've learned here is: "animal rights" is anything you disagree with, and "animal welfare" is anything you agree with :D.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Based on what I've read about PETA, they essentially figure that an animal who has been "in slavery" is a "lost soul" and can never find happiness again, so they kill it. It's insane.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts