Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a local pet shop here called "Pet Kingdom". It's a really big place with snakes, lizards, birds, gibbons, other monkeys, fish, tortoises, turtles, kittens, puppies, etc. They claim they get their puppies from "Reputable Breeders". Also, it was on the news a few months ago that the owner of this pet store helps shut puppy mills down. If I go in what are some questions I can ask the staff? Something like: "What reputable breeder do you get your pugs from?"

·
Super Moderator
7,298 Posts
Simple. NO reputable breeder will EVER sell their pups to a pet store. A reputable breeder carefully interviews potential homes to make sure their pups end up in the best possible homes, and will require that the pups be returned to them in the event the owners cannot keep the pup. They offer extensive health guarantees against genetic illness, and frequently have waiting lists in place before breeding. This pet store is just trotting out the same line all pet stores do to convince people they don't buy from puppy mills and BYB's. Even Petland, who is notorious for purchasing puppy mill dogs, makes the exact same claim.

As I said in your other thread, PLEASE do NOT support unethical breeding by purchasing from a pet store or BYB. WAIT for a pup from a truly reputae breeder, or rescue one of the many Pugs in need of homes. You can even find Pug puppies in rescue from time to time if that's what you want.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
They say that all the time, thing is if you go look at the Code of Ethics of the national breed club of the breed you are looking at, it is against the COE to sell to pet stores. Don't fall for it, save your money and buy from a direct source, not a third party (they go through brokers who buy from puppy mills) like pet stores are. But make sure that direct source is legit (not a puppy mill, BYB, etc)

If you are looking a pugs, just looked their COE does state no member should ever sell to pet stores. If you are looking at pugs, why not look at these breeders

http://www.pugs.org/indexbreeder.htm (click on breeder referral if you don't see a list of breeders)

·
Registered
26 Posts
You could ask them where they get them, but I'm not sure they would tell you. Plus I don't think a "Reputable Breeder" would give their puppies to a pet store. Most want to find their puppies homes themselves and selling to a pet store looks bad. I would try to stay away from that. Even if they're not getting the puppies from a horrible puppy mill that you hear stories of doesn't mean they're well bred dogs. They could be BYB's and, while not puppy mills, they might not have the healthest of dogs.
However, you have to make up your own mind in the end.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I once had somebody at PetLand (the same type of setup as Pet Kingdom, I imagine) tell me that they were technically "saving" the puppies since the "breeders" that they got the puppies from couldn't find homes for them. I asked them if giving the "breeders" money to produce more puppies was really a form of "saving" the puppies. Bleh! It's all terrible.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Pet stores all tell the same story. IF they tell you who the breeder is, and you go visit that breeder and make sure they do all the genetic health testing, and check out the conditions their dogs are kept in (ideally a home situation. Though some kenneling is usually necessary in multi-dog homes, I wouldn't want to see their dogs kept kenneled 24/7), and everything checks out, then I would say that could work out OK (although I still think a breeder who sells to a pet store where their pups will be sold to the first yahoo with a fistful of cash isn't really responsible). But never buy a puppy without meeting his/her mother (at least).

·
Registered
392 Posts
Agree with everyone else, no reputable breeder will sell their puppies to a petstore. And Willowy is right, most pet stores will tell you that. Why would they advertise that they support puppy mills?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
What Kuma said, there are NO reputable breeders that will sell their pups to pet stores. If you want a pug from a breeder then you'll need to some A TON of research to find a reputable one. Chaos gave you a very good start on finding one, good luck!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Cider is a petland pup. Not my purchase- my ex roomate's. They promised from here to hell and back they only get pups from reputable breeders. Made a pretty sounding picture. I knew it sounded odd, but I didn't know enough. Cider's from the Dunville puppymill. They will create any lie that moves merchandise. No breeder worth anything ever sells to a store. You need to take the time and wait patiently and support a rescue or a decent breeder.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Everyone is correct. Take your time and check out some real quality breeders or a rescue. You will be glad that you did. Sometimes the best things come to those who wait! :) In my mind and IMO anyone who buys these puppies at a pet store or BYB is just condoning the bad breeders and their torturing of more innocent dogs. The poor things. I am not innocent of this. I made a big mistake before I learned differently. I do not regret my dogs......but I am going to regret that they will probably suffer from illness on down the road and I allowed more little innocent puppies to be born because of it. This makes me sad. Please think carefully. :) My last pup is from a rescue. She is wonderful! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts