Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any luck finding adequate insurance for a dog that has had a previous incident?

This company gave me a quote for $50,000 liability, $25,000 aggregate for around $450/year. Is this adequate?

I was told by an american family insurance agent that I would need $500,000 to $1Million in coverage??!!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Most people will just include their dog on their personal liability coverage with their homeowners or renters insurance.

Typically, $500,000 is the higher end standard available liability coverage. I frequently suggest nothing less than that to anyone owning ANY dog, particularly a large breed dog, even if the dog has never bitten and likely never will.
I am not an insurance agent or in the industry, but given the cost of medical expenses AND that someone bitten can claim other expenses (lost wages, reconstructive plastic surgery, pain and suffering etc), that anything less than around $100,000 per incident would be too low.
Insurance may be cheaper if you get a multi-line discount; as in, have car insurance and renters insurance together with the same company.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
www.xinsurance.com

Supplemental insurance for when home-owners is a no-go.

I looked at it when my homeowners was cancelling me for having a bull-mastiff/bulldog mutt that they labelled a pit bull. Ended up just switching companies.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have an extra umbrella policy that would cover dog bites/accidents, $300,000 over what home owners covers. My dogs are not on the banned list, but with my breed its nice to have extra. I purchased it through the same company.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies.

I found a company, Einhorn Insurance that offers specific Dog Liability for around $40-75/month as well as xinsurance.com.

Its good to know that there are some xinsurance users here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts