Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into purchasing pet insurance. One I am looking at is Purina. Does anybody have it, and think it is worth it? This is going to be the first time I have a dog so I need some advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
There's a thread a few pages back on this I think. I'm not sure it's worth it myself. I'm told that vet bills run about $100-150 a dog per year. I don't know what premiums on pet insurance run. To me it's not worth paying $100 a year in premiums to avoid paying $100 in vet bills, but that's just me.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There's a thread a few pages back on this I think. I'm not sure it's worth it myself. I'm told that vet bills run about $100-150 a dog per year. I don't know what premiums on pet insurance run. To me it's not worth paying $100 a year in premiums to avoid paying $100 in vet bills, but that's just me.
With all due respect, because I don't know the first thing about you, can you please explain how you've posted 600+ messages and you're "told" vet bills run about $100 a year?

I am as cheap as they come and my rescued stray has cost a legitimate $2500 in the first 11 months. If I could have I would have paid less. He is per me and his vet, healthy, yet he had a complicated neuter, kennel cough, a benign anal tumour, a dental cleaning, a cut paw, a spot of colitis, and most recently he overdid it in the dog park and came up lame.

Many of these expenses were racked up before we got insurance because I knew the insurance wouldn't pay for pre-existing conditions. The little stuff has happened since then. We paid $300 in January and since then have gotten over $200 back. We have $18,800 in coverage left to use.

So where can you raise a healthy dog on $100 a year in vet expenses? I might move.

Ron from New York

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links and advice all. I have decided I am 100% going to get insurance. It will put me at ease a little bit. I have a good job but not sure I could afford thousands at the last minute if something really went wrong and it would kill me to lose my dog because I couldn't afford to save her.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks for the links and advice all. I have decided I am 100% going to get insurance. It will put me at ease a little bit. I have a good job but not sure I could afford thousands at the last minute if something really went wrong and it would kill me to lose my dog because I couldn't afford to save her.
You are looking at the insure/not insure question in a good way. For most dog owners the premiums you pay out will be greater than the cost associated with owning a dog. But just like home insurance and car insurance you don't want to be in the "risk of ruin" situation, so we all buy these types of insurance to avoid it.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/risk-of-ruin.asp

·
Registered
442 Posts
You are assuming NOTHING will ever happen to your dog , with that figure . Around here , 100.00 for a yearly checkup but what happens if your dog breaks a leg or ends up sick or gets a nasty cut , it can run 1000's of dollars and would cause serious financial problems for an ' average ' family . 26 a month is money spent wisely and more so if you own a puppy because they seem to get into the worst trouble sometimes :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think that most who have insurance plans on their pets will say they did so NOT necessarily to cover the annual checkups, but rather for emergency vet services where the costs can escalate in to the many hundreds or even thousands of dollars. And just to clarify, there are pet insurance providers that don't have coverages for annual checkups.

This seems to be the never ending debate on whether pet insurance is worth it or not. To some it may not. To others it gives piece of mind as with any insurance plan. I have pet insurance on my German Shorthaired pointer as he is a hunting dog and exposed to all sorts of things. It's almost a forgone conclusion that there are going to be some minor injuries during the course of his life. The chance for a serious illness or injury is also there. But this could also apply to any breed of dog. If you have the means to keep enough money tucked away for these unplanned emergencies than more power to ya. But for many of us if it comes down to several thousand dollars needed to save or treat your dog or put them down because you can't afford it, that's a decision I would rather not have to make. I pay $25 a month or $300/year in premiums to cover up to $8000 a year in vet expenses. I've had this plan going on 2 years in October. I have not had to make a claim as of yet and I hope I never have to, but it still gives me piece of mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts