Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious what everyone here thinks of pet insurance. Is it worthwhile?

My "free" insurance that I received with my pup is about to expire, so that's why I'm asking.

thanks

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I looked into it but decided it's not worth it for 3 animals. It didn't seem to cover much more than the annual check up. Anything I have had to take any of my animals in for wasn't covered. You would do better putting aside a little each month to cover annual check ups and emergencies. But it's worth checking into.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I agree with Alpha . I was going to buy some when I got Red and then really looked into it and found one thing I really didnt like . The general information I gathered is that insurance resets every anniversary . So... if your dog develops a condition in year one , upon year 2 that condition is now considered a 'pre-existing condition' and is not covered . You can look into the fine print and probably see for yourself .

·
Registered
182 Posts
That's funny, because I didn't see either of those things, I saw that all they covered were emergencies, but not check-ups and shots. I thought it looked worth it. My only question is whether you pay it all at once, or monthly.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
From what I remember (it's been awhile since I checked) you paid it monthly like you would health insurance for yourself. It varies greatly by age of animal, number of pets and what plan you want. IMO, it's better all around to set up a savings account or "animal fund" to cover what you need. I do plan for the annuals and have one baby a month for shots, etc. That way I'm not hit for all of them at the same time (with 3 that can be a bit pricey). I buy HW preventative every 3 months and I can cover most emergencies. When it comes to something extra (teeth cleaning or when I had an older dog, a geriatric exam) I plan ahead.

·
Registered
182 Posts
But if you don't have that kind of money, from what I can tell it could be very helpful. The plan I found was about 14 dollars a month per dog and covered up to a few thousand in emergency vet bills. I can pay the expected bills, but I am a young student living on my own and I just don't have the savings for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts