Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into pet insurance for my 15 week old puppy to help with any unexpected veterinary costs that may arise over her lifetime.

There are two companies I am looking into:

1. Trupanion -

No payout limit per incident per year and no lifetime payout limit - includes accident, illness, hereditary and congeinital conditions, diagnostic tests, surgeries and includes 1/2 the cost of therapeutic diets. For an additonal cost HD, physical therapy, behavior modification is covered. 90% of the claim covered.

Physical exam and pre-existing conditions are not covered.

I am thinking of a $300 deductible and with the additional coverage it will be $53.34 per month.

2. Pet Secure (plan 3)
$5,000 per accident, $5,000 per condition/illness, $400 dental and $350 special coverage and $1000 per accident for things like boarding fees if I am hospitalized, lost per advertising, cremation etc. No lifetime limit.

Pre-existing conditions the pet may be excluded either temporarily or permanently from your policy. Website does not mention about coverage for hereditary and congeinital conditions. Petsecure's "Claims Risk Management" clause explains how Petsecure conducts semi-annual analysis to see if your pet has a high level of claim frequency and costs. If so, your amount paid will be reduced for future claims. The minimum amount paid would be 50%.

$300 deductible is $53.27 monthly and $500 deductible is $45.02 monthly

What are your opinions on these companies? Does one seem more reasonable then the other? Cost wise both are fairly similar. I am not as familiar with Trupanion as I am Pet Secure.

Does anyone have experience with either of these companies (positive or negative experiences?)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi WestieLove,
You seemed to have made up your mind on one of these two companies. I am not going to try to persuade you otherwise, both have a very good reputation.
But since I see you are in Ontario, I thought I'd run PC Pet Insurance by you. It's what we're with, and we found it to be the best bang for the buck, at all coverage levels. We chose the more basic coverage ourselves.
We look at pet insurance as protection money we pay every month to Murphy, to make sure his law doesn't affect us. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have Trupanion. I have made several claims and have had no problem getting reimbursed. I pay$37.50 a month with a $100 deductible. I wonder why yours would cost more?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will take a look into PC. It may have just been I didn't come across the company in my search but out of the companies I did come across the two I chose seemed to be the most bang for my buck. I also think the price varies from each location.

I appreciate the input!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmmm ... I don't know the Canadian market that well. I'm in the US; I'm currently with Pet Plan (though I'm considering switching). I'm also a member of Pet Assure, which basically just knocks 25% off the bill without looking at pre-existing conditions, etc. I guess you're basically trading a higher percentage of payout for the lack of exclusions. I use both plans together (insurance and discount).

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have Healthy Paws and I pay $36.49 a month. I have a $50 deductible, 90% coverage and no limit to pay-outs. The plan also covers hip displaysia which is rare. I have been super pleased with them & if you look around they are the top pet insurance company right now. Don't know if they are in the Canadian market or not but it's worth checking out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts