Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

As i was scouring petfinder an add on their website came up on screen, Pet Finder Pet Insurance. I have heard of pet insurance before but never really looked into it. I'm hoping this thread will open some new thoughts about pet insurance and maybe even story telling!
If anyone has specific stories, pricing and or experiences about a specific provider please do tell. Also be nice, if you don't agree with someone's statement be respectful and state as to why you disagree.

~John

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have pet insurance on only one of our three pets. We have a 14 year old ACD mix, an 8 year old Maine Coon Cat and a 9 month old BC mix. I only bought insurance for the puppy. She is a one dog wrecking crew, climbing, jumping, getting into places she shouldn't, chewing up everything she can find, etc.... She's smart and athletic and it's nearly impossible to 100% puppy proof. I worry about her eating something that will require gastro surgery, hence the insurance. I pay just under $30 a month for it, a hedge against a $5,000 surgery bill! The other pets are older and don't get into much trouble. I keep a cash savings account for unexpected vet bills. Plus, since no insurance covers pre-existing conditions, it's not very cost effective to insure an older animal.

I'm planning on cancelling the insurance on the youngest when she grows up and exercises a little better judgment ;). She'll then be covered by my savings, like the other pets.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I am rather the opposite. I was just getting ready to take out insurance ... and Bingo! ... one of them ended up in the hospital ... had to have blood work ... x-rays ... now has bladder stones ... has to go back for x-rays ... etc ... and no insurance will cover previous conditions and ongoing conditions to my knowledge? I had to use the emergency fund. It is pretty much an individual call IMHO. It seems my two almost 6 year old dogs have started to fall apart this year ... The youngest of 1 year of age (Abbylynn) is definitely going to have insurance on herself! :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
For Example:

my puppy on the FIRST day he came home, broke his leg. Insurance didn't kick in until 72 hours after that (Silly me, I should've bought insurance a week before we got him). The vet bill for just an xray and a cast was over $700.00. This is in Toronto, ON (Canada).

If I had basic insurance, which is intro level, it would've cost me $27.00 a month and covered me $1000 for the year.

The whole thing with insurance, is whether you are able to absorb the risk that comes with unexpected accidents and illnesses. If you have loads of money in your pocket, you may not need it, but for most of us, we can't afford thousand dollar surgeries, that seemingly come at inopportune times ^_^

I like having insurance, as I don't have that kind of money laying around. But be warned that any pre-existing symptoms or conditions (yes, even symptoms that the vet notes) won't be eligible for coverage, so if you have a senior dog, you have to consider getting coverage before any symptoms come up (i.e. general check ups where your vet notes he's starting to have hip dysplasia symptoms). Also, the level of coverage you get during that condition/symptom is the only it sticks to, so if you increase your coverage, they won't cover your older condition on that increased level. It's a good idea to speak with a Rep and ask all these tough questions so you don't make any misinformed decisions.

All in all, I love insurance, it's like having medical benefits for yourself. It's expensive, but if something bad should happen, you know money won't be why your pet doesn't get better :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have had pet insurance for about 5 years now (my 3 dogs are 5-6 years old). It runs me about $84 a month and that's for the accident/illness, well care isn't covered. For me it's worth it because they have a tendency to get into stuff and can play pretty hard. The most expensive trips to the vet/emergency room have been when Shiloh reacted to the flea & tick medication and had to be kept overnight and Izzie impaled herself with an 8" stick while she was running through the woods and had to have it surgically removed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have insurance but should have researched more about what each policy would cover and wouldn't. My puppy at 9 months needed luxating patella surgery that cost $3000 and zero of it was covered because it was considered a pre existing condition. Another insurance company would have covered him 100 percent. My other dog needed spine surgery this summer which cost $8000 which is insane and thankfully about $3000 of that was covered.

I would advise you to be thorough in your research. I didn't even know what a luxating patella was before my second dog and now he has boths his knees done in less than 2 years. The expense is so tremendous that pet insurance definitely helps as long as it covers things you might need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

All the experience and information is greatly helping me. Hopefully it is help others who read this thread as well! What basic pet needs are most encountered that i would want to have insurance for? Do i want to do it for just my puppy or through out his whole life?

~John

·
Registered
740 Posts
I think insurance should definitely go the whole life, because more health issues will arise as the dog ages, closer to their senior years. if you have coverage before this hits, you won't have to bear the cost for the next several years or more as you treat your dog for those issues.

Also, try to find a pet insurer who has comprehensive coverage. Look deeply into their 'tiny writing' that says what conditions are excluded. Choose the one that is most comprehensive. Mine covers ALL accidents and illnesses and does NOT cover wellness visits (General check ups, vaccinations), breeding/pregnancy related visits, or dental treatments. But it's good for hip dysplasia, luxating patella, all health related illnesses, etc....so long as their not pre-existing ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have been looking into insurance and plan on getting it the day my puppy turns the minimum age required. Even though he will still be with the breeder I want peace of mind that there are no "pre existing" conditions. To me a plan that doesn't have wellness but covers hereditary things (even though my breeder tests for these things) is more important. I still haven't decided which plan i'm going to go with but I am covering my puppy! I had a cat with cancer, have one with a heart murmer and one who's blood doesn't clot properly. Although these are unbred street cats I know things can come up with animals and I keep a savings but I rather have peace of mind from insurance. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to look if the inusrance makes you pay out of pocket first and then pays you back after or if they will cover costs upfront (most wont) so you still need to have the money upfront or work something out with the vet!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts