Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I applied for VPI pet insurance for my two month-old Shiba Inu (Nanako :)). Earlier in the day, we had our first visit to the vet who told us that she had coccidia and gave Nanako some albuterol syrup to treat the coccidia by our next appointment (which was to be one week later). Thus, as I was applying for the insurance, I indicated that Nanako was taking the syrup for the parasite.

Today, I received a notification from VPI that Nanako was approved for pet insurance. However, her coccidia was considered to be a pre-existing condition and intestinal parasites, thus, will not be covered by the insurance. The letter also concluded with this statement:

"Please note that some pre-existing conditions are considered temporary and can be reviewed for future coverage eligibility. To be eligible for review, the condition must be deemed cured for a minimum of six months and not likely to require additional monitoring or treatment. Chronic conditions or conditions that cannot be cured will remain as exclusions on the policy."

My question is: Do any of you know, from experience, whether or not my Shiba would be eligible (based on the above criteria) to have intestinal parasites eventually covered by the insurance--assuming that we get this coccidia under control, finish vaccinations, give her once-a-month treatments, etc? Or did I just shoot myself in the foot here for being honest with the insurance company?

I hear coccidia is extremely common in puppies, and also I find it odd that ALL intestinal parasites wouldn't be covered by VPI because one particular strain had infected my puppy (or, at least, that's how I'm reading it). I'm going to be discussing this with our vet when I see her in a few days, but I was just curious to know if anyone else had a similar experience.

Thanks!

JJ & Nanako

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
They won't cover it because it is a pre-existing condition. It occured and was diagnosed before you were approved for the insurance. That's why they won't cover it. In the future, if she gets a different parasite, and you're covered by VPI then the treatment for that parasite should be covered. They don't exclude parasites, just pre-existing conditions be it parasites or parvo.

·
Registered
374 Posts
What Hallie said is correct, SFAIK. That said, VPI tends to be *very* restrictive in its coverage. They will not cover what they consider to be congenital conditions and their reimbursement rates are based on a schedule rather than prevailing rates in your area so you will generally get less than you would with some other insurers. I have been with three different insurers (not VPI) and have not had problems with any of them, but I have been happiest with Petplan (www.gopetplan.com). Petplan would also exclude your current incident but otherwise they are far more inclusive. Something to think about. I like Petplan so much compared to VPI that if you are still in your money back period with VPI, I would consider cancelling and going with Petplan. You can compare coverage and rates at Petplan's website and find reviews of both companies at www.petinsurancereview.com. Best of luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts