Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Healthy Paws (lowest but fixed at 70%) the rest have 90% and are very similar, only the price changes. TruPanion, PetPlan, NationWide (doesn't cover wobbler syndrome), & Embrace.

I have a senior yorkie with Hypothyroid, Spayed, and Dermatophyte.
She's had mammary tumor surgery in the past.

I want to make sure neurologic will be insured. Surgeries like tumors, brain, etc. Diagnostics for illness even if no diagnosis is made.

I know insurances don't cover wellness nor pre-excisting. My question is if which insurance has better coverage with claims. Keep their promises and deny less.

I have all the prices but don't know which one's do and don't do tricks to deny claims. I read that Embrace didn't cover a tumor because it was benign. That Nationwide has a lot of consumer reports yet these 2 companies have better pricing than PetPlan and TruPanion.

Maybe you can help me as a customer, reading their policies, and legit reviews.

I have asked them question just wondering which is best option?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
How old is your Yorkie?

I think you may have trouble finding good coverage for a senior dog. Both Healthy Paws and Embrace (the two companies my dogs are insured with) have requested full and detailed medical histories for both of my dogs. Would you be able to provide that for your dog?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I heard they request about 2 years. Yes I can provide my pets medical history. She's had blood, x-rays. ultrasound, biopsy, stool, urinalisys, etc.
She's 9 years old and Pure breed. The problem is which insurer keeps their promises of covering anything not pre-existing without excuses. Most of these cover hereditary as well.

Do you have 2 insurance for each dog or different companies each?

Here are my quotes: (all $500 deductible 90% Reimbursement)
PetPlan 15K max $59.46
TruPanion No limit $77.09
Embrace 15K $64.35

NationWide $60.25 is $250 deductible but looks like they don't cover things like Wobbler Syndrome, they used to be VPI.
Healthy Pets is firm at 70% $500 deductible

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
They're all insurance companies, so you have to expect them to try to get out of paying your claims. That's just what insurance companies do.

If I were you, I'd contact Healthy Paws, which has the highest customer rating of any company. I believe you can talk to a rep, sign up for a 30 day free trial, submit your dog's vet records and ask for an underwriter to review the records and tell you exactly what would and wouldn't be covered with your insurance. At that point, if you feel they're excluding too many things, you can cancel.

I have Titan with Healthy Paws ($65.00 a month, 80% coverage, $500 annual deductible, unlimited yearly and lifetime cap) because coverage with caps makes me nervous. However, I can't comfortably afford $250 a month in food and another $130 a month in insurance for two Great Danes, so I enrolled Zephyr with Embrace. He has the same exactly coverage except for his yearly cap, which is $10K, for $33 a month. I can't switch Titan because he's had two eye surgeries, so any more eye complications wouldn't be covered by a new company.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have your claims been approved? you mentioned switch... do you like Embrace more than Tiatan's Healthy Paws?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I have pending claims that I just submitted with Healthy Paws, and I have never submitted a claim to Embrace.

I like Healthy Paws' customer service very much. The reps I've spoken to have always been friendly and knowledgeable.

The yearly cap on Zephyr's Embrace insurance concerns me. I dropped $12,000 in three months on Loki's cancer diagnosis, so I am concerned that a big medical issue, or several big issues in one year, would exceed that cap. However, my dogs are much larger than yours and therefore my vet bills are much higher. I think a $10K cap with a Yorkie would be more than adequate except in very rare cases.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have healthy paws and have had very good experiences so far. When we signed up they asked for his medical records and sent us a letter specifically stating what wouldn't be covered. We pay 25 dollars a month for our large mixed breed dog but we signed him up as a puppy so I can't speak to what it's like signing up an adult dog. We went with the 500 dollar deductible plan that pays 90% after the deductible is met. Submitted claims is very easy. There's an app for your cell phone and you just take a photo of the itemized receipt and submit. It usually seems to take about 2 days to process. They send you a statement telling you what was covered. Everything except the actual office visit fee has been accepted by Healthy Paws. We did go over our deductible this year due to the clumsy puppy and they were quick to send us a check for the balance on our last visit. Milo was attacked by another dog one week before the end of the waiting period when he was 5 months old. The other dogs owners did end up paying the vet bill since they were at fault, but it was sobering to realize that an emergency vet bill for a small cut that needed stitches would have been 900. It's nice having the reassurance of the insurance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts