Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here brought their dog to a pet friendly motel? We are going to give it a try this summer for 6 days. We are taking our Aussie who will be about 7 months old with us. We prefer bringing him with us than putting him in a kennel. There are three us us adults who will be able to help take care of the puppy.

We are going to a pet friendly place, where dogs are seen walking all over everyplace......a resort town in NY State.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
We've had our dog in hotels/motels several times. She's a cautious canine so it was a bit of a challenge. If she was a normal happy-go-lucky dog or a puppy, it would have been no big deal. My guess is that your dog's age will work greatly in your favor, esp. if he's used to public places already.

Tips:

- Get a room on the first floor near an exit so the walk to a potty area is as short as you can make it.

- See if you can bring the dog through a side entrance away from the busy lobby (again, if your dog has no trouble with public places, ignore this).

- We brought her bed, dishes, favorite toys (very helpful to keep her from barking in the room), and crate so that she would have familiar things around her.

- Check with the mgt and ask if the dog can be left crated in the room - many places won't allow a dog to be left unattended -- best to check if you plan on going anywhere without the dog.

- See if the hotel has a "dog in room" sign - will help staff know what to expect in advance. I would advise not letting housekeeping in the room when you're not there if you leave the dog crated in the room. It puts added stress on the dog that's unnecessary + you don't want strangers around your dog when you're not around to supervise.

- Research the area for local parks (dog parks, too, if you like them) so you know where you can go for walks. We printed out google maps for all of them so that if one didn't work out, we could just move on to the next one.

- Don't rush the dog to the room as soon as you get there. Give him time to sniff around and get the lay of the land before going inside and to your room. Seems to cut down on the barking at strange noises.

All this stuff aside, if the place is really dog friendly, you and your dog should have a great time with little hassle!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've had our dog in hotels/motels several times. She's a cautious canine so it was a bit of a challenge. If she was a normal happy-go-lucky dog or a puppy, it would have been no big deal. My guess is that your dog's age will work greatly in your favor, esp. if he's used to public places already.

Tips:

- Get a room on the first floor near an exit so the walk to a potty area is as short as you can make it.

- See if you can bring the dog through a side entrance away from the busy lobby (again, if your dog has no trouble with public places, ignore this).

- We brought her bed, dishes, favorite toys (very helpful to keep her from barking in the room), and crate so that she would have familiar things around her.

- Check with the mgt and ask if the dog can be left crated in the room - many places won't allow a dog to be left unattended -- best to check if you plan on going anywhere without the dog.

- See if the hotel has a "dog in room" sign - will help staff know what to expect in advance. I would advise not letting housekeeping in the room when you're not there if you leave the dog crated in the room. It puts added stress on the dog that's unnecessary + you don't want strangers around your dog when you're not around to supervise.

- Research the area for local parks (dog parks, too, if you like them) so you know where you can go for walks. We printed out google maps for all of them so that if one didn't work out, we could just move on to the next one.

- Don't rush the dog to the room as soon as you get there. Give him time to sniff around and get the lay of the land before going inside and to your room. Seems to cut down on the barking at strange noises.

All this stuff aside, if the place is really dog friendly, you and your dog should have a great time with little hassle!

Thanks! All good tips. We were the last folks to get a reservation at this particular place, in the dog section, which is now booked solid. They advertise places for the pooches to do their business and free bags to pick up after the pooches. There are loads of woods and parks there, so there should be no problem finding good places to go!! I am going to purchase a folding crate to take along with us!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I've taken my dogs to several pet friendly hotels/motels. From what I've noticed you tend to get the better or less used rooms if you're bringing a pet along. In lake Tahoe we endend up in a seperate building away from all the noisy families with a perferct veiw right on the lake. I don't know if they have ones for othr states, but if us Californians there's a book called the "dog lovers guide to california". It got laods of great tips and recomendations for traveling n California with your dogs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts