Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH, Belvie, and i are taking a road trip to Maine this year. Our city to sleep in is Salem, VA. I've done some research for pet friendly hotels and have narrowed it down to two- Econolodge and La Quinta.

I'm leaning toward La Quita, since the reviews are better and the chain is known for being super pet friendly. Econolodge has gotten not as good reviews and i've heard nothing about how pet friendly they are.

Belvie is a 45-ish pound aussie mix. I called La Quinta and they would take him even though they have a 30lb policy. I have yet to call Econolodge.

Just as a shot in the dark, has anyone stayed in these hotels? First hand xp?

Kat

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I've not stayed at that specific La Quinta, but La Quinta is always my first choice when I travel with my dogs (6-7 times per year for lure coursing). I generally have 2-3 greyhounds with me and I've never had an issue at any La Quinta. Very pet friendly + free high speed internet and they are always nice and clean.

My second choice is usually Red Roof. Between the two, I can usually find one near where I need to stay.

I never, ever, ever leave my dogs in the room unattended.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Why don't you leave your dogs unattended? Are you afraid someone might steal them or they may get into something?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Why don't you leave your dogs unattended? Are you afraid someone might steal them or they may get into something?
Out of courtesy to the other guests. A few months ago I stayed at a La Quinta and the dog (musta been a lab-sized dog by the sound of it) was barking. and barking. and barking. and barking. I went to the front desk b/c I wanted to make SURE they knew it wasn't MY dogs barking. They'd already been trying to reach the owners. It's that kind of behavior that makes hotels decide to become 'un-pet friendly.'

Also, most hotels have lever-type door handles, which a greyhound can easily pull down if they were to tigger up and put their paws on it accidentally...though, most hotel room doors are pretty heavy, some of them open more easily than others. I know of several greys that have gotten loose from hotel rooms by doing this.

During the day, I would not want the hotel staff to enter the room and accidentally let my dogs out or have to deal with them.

Finally...it also ensures my dogs are monitored while in the hotel and, while I don't think they'd do any damage, dogs can surprise you sometimes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Baxter hangs out in my hotel rooms all the time (I travel frequently). Though he's not allowed on the bed without permission at home, I guess he knows the beds in the hotel room are different and he is always on them when I come back to the room.

We try to stay at Kimpton brand hotels, though they are only in major cities, because they are not just dog friendly, but dog enthusiastic. We love them!

We just sayed at the Yonnalosse Resort in Blowing Rock, NC and Bax had a great time!

Anyway, have fun on your trip! Good luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lovemygreys- thanks for the reminder about red roof! Totally forgot they were pet friendly.

We are super excited about the trip. We have a family cottage in Maine that overlooks a lake so thankfully we won't be staying in hotels the whole trip.

thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts