Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday on 20/20, I saw the episode called Pet Crazy. Some of the things that were discussed really bothered me and I did not like. For instance, Lipo suction, face lifts, eye lifts for breeds with droopy eyes, piercings for you dogs. I can understand if you own a dog who's eyelids turn inwards irritating the eye itself and the dog needing surgery for that. I believe its called Entropion, but the other things were just ridiculous and uncalled for when it comes to dogs. From what I can remember, someone on the show said it was done to make there dog or dogs look better. The Vet said a dog does not care what it looks like. Which I happen to agree with. I forgot to mention, there are also nose jobs for dogs with pushed in faces. Anyone else want to express there distaste or anger about these procedures done to dogs for no reason or need unless if they need eyelid surgery because it irritates the eyes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
To each their own, I guess...
I can understand the procedures that help the dogs (i.e. a nose job to help the dog breath better) but the other stuff, the tattooing, the piercings, etc, that's just for the pleasure of the human...I really don't understand it. Dogs should not be status symbols, IMO... **shrugs**

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I didn't see the show, wish i had but I think that's pretty whacked.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I'm probably opening up a huge can of worms...

My initial reaction was "that's ridiculous," but now I feel like there's not that much difference btwn cropping/docking and piercings (and i'm not an opponent of c/d- I just feel like I can't make one seem awful when the other two also boil down to human aesthetics.

yes, c/d can protect against ear infections and a broken tail, but MY (again, this is only mine, definitely not the rule across every dog) experience with un"altered" dogs of the c/d breeds is that those two problems aren't super common.

As far as the other procedures, the ideal would be that every breeder continues to breed for healthier dogs without entropion, but it's probably not going to happen anytime soon seeing as there are many more unresponsible breeders than responsible ones. IMO in this case I would advocate for surgery if it would improve the life of the dog.

*waits for angry replies*

·
Registered
157 Posts
Oh boy the things people do. Etrop surgery can be necessary I know, my sharpei had it on her right eye. But lifts and tucks? Ugh not cool.
Rescued, I'm siding with you there. I was just having this discusstion with my husband the other day, that people do these things just to make the dog look a certain way. Altho boxers with tails are great at clearing off your coffee table ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just talked to my vet about one of Zoey's (many) lipomas, it's huge! It dangles, like breast, and it's too big to fit in my husband's hand. I wish my vet offered liposuction for that big nasty lipoma.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I dont see anything wrong with a facelift, or nose job. if done for a valid reason. and not a reason to look better. You would never imagine the nasty stuff I clean out of face wrinkles and tail wrinkles.

I'm probably opening up a huge can of worms...

My initial reaction was "that's ridiculous," but now I feel like there's not that much difference btwn cropping/docking and piercings (and i'm not an opponent of c/d- I just feel like I can't make one seem awful when the other two also boil down to human aesthetics.

yes, c/d can protect against ear infections and a broken tail, but MY (again, this is only mine, definitely not the rule across every dog) experience with un"altered" dogs of the c/d breeds is that those two problems aren't super common.

As far as the other procedures, the ideal would be that every breeder continues to breed for healthier dogs without entropion, but it's probably not going to happen anytime soon seeing as there are many more unresponsible breeders than responsible ones. IMO in this case I would advocate for surgery if it would improve the life of the dog.

*waits for angry replies*
cropping and docking was started for working reasons (so a tail doesnt break in bushs, or a hog rip a ear off ect) nowadays its much more for a status symbol then working reasons.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Some of the procedures have merit. As mentioned, removing tissue from passageways in the nose/throat can help brachy dogs breathe better. Entropion can be painful and may require corrective surgery. Cropping/docking can prevent discomfort/injury in working breeds. Even tatooing may be acceptable - one use is as a permanent identification marker, similar to a microchip.

However, any surgery that is solely for cosmetic reasons is not something I can get behind. One example that comes to mind is "neuticles". Also cropping/docking individuals that will not be used for work, even if the breed standard calls for it.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Some of the procedures have merit. As mentioned, removing tissue from passageways in the nose/throat can help brachy dogs breathe better. Entropion can be painful and may require corrective surgery. Cropping/docking can prevent discomfort/injury in working breeds. Even tatooing may be acceptable - one use is as a permanent identification marker, similar to a microchip.

However, any surgery that is solely for cosmetic reasons is not something I can get behind. One example that comes to mind is "neuticles". Also cropping/docking individuals that will not be used for work, even if the breed standard calls for it.
While I would never use them, I believe that neuticles are inserted during the regular neuter surgery, with no side effects other than those of the neuter. Im all for them if they'll encourage an owner to neuter when he wouldn't otherwise.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think anytime you implant something foreign in a body, you run a higher risk of infection than you would if you were just taking something out. Whether that risk is significant enough if done with all necessary precautions, I really don't know, but I wouldn't do the neuticles thing.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I honestly don't really care .....if someone wants to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on their dog ..I'm going to assume they are going to a qualified vet and the dog is getting proper aftercare and pain management...so be it..(if they are getting hack jobs..that might be a different story)

If I am going to get into someone’s business about their dog...its going to be the people that abuse or neglect their pets....people that let mange go so far the dog has to be put down, people that throw their dog in the back yard and never pay any further attention to the dog so that the collar that was put on the dog as a puppy has now grown so tight its cutting into the dogs neck …the people that never pay any attention to their dogs dental hygiene and now the dogs mouth is like a cesspool of rotten teeth …and the poor thing can’t even chew its food …the list goes on and on

So if someone wants to doc/crop…or put neuticles in their dog…..as long as the dog is getting proper medical care/after care, proper nutrition, and attention from the owner….I’m not going to lose any sleep over it

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't think 'neuticles' and tail docking are even in the same realm. IMO, It boils down to beneficial to the dog's health vs cosmetic. To fix painful eye problems or breathing problems is ok in my book. To make the pet look more like a ideal...eh, not so much.

I'm all for tail docking in my dogs (my preferred breeds don't crop the ears so it's never been a question I've needed to address.) I've seen the worst effects of a injured tail in an undocked older dog and I'd just as soon remove the possibility when the pup is younger and heals quicker than to subject a dog to that sort of situation again.

My dogs are all working farm animals, they get stepped on, it's part of life here. Most of them know to get out the way but occasionally situations occur where it happens. It only takes a split second. I have lived on a farm 90% of my life and most of my family have been farmers and ranchers for generations. There are still very valid reasons for me to dock my dog's tails despite the fact that some say it's no longer necessary. It's not a cosmetic thing for me, as much as it is a preventative healthcare measure. Just as proper teeth cleaning and vaccinations are preventative care for the future protection of the dog.

·
Registered
192 Posts
While I would never use them, I believe that neuticles are inserted during the regular neuter surgery, with no side effects other than those of the neuter. Im all for them if they'll encourage an owner to neuter when he wouldn't otherwise.
many years ago I worked for a company that sold nueticals, my understanding is they were strictly cosmetic, not related to nuetering. But that's a great idea for using them!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
many years ago I worked for a company that sold nueticals, my understanding is they were strictly cosmetic, not related to nuetering. But that's a great idea for using them!
My understanding was that they are "inserted" during the neuter surgery- so the dog is only under anesthesia once. I was just fine with my dog losing his nuts...but I'm not a guy. If neuticles can convince an owner to neuter, I'm all for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts