Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago we got some new next door neighbors. They have a few small kids and a few weeks ago they had a party and the kids threw some stuff (balls and toys) into our yard. Kids will be kids right? Their parents apologized after they saw our dog, Tiger, popped the balls and chewed on the toys and said they would talk to their kids. A few nights ago I found 4 flattened balls, 2 water bottles, and a cup and threw them all away and talked to them (again). Last night there was another toy back there, all mashed and mangled up cause Tiger got to it again, I spoke to the father (again) and yet again, this afternoon I find another cup thrown over. I spoke with the father (again). I've about had it and don't know what to do. Obviously talking isn't working. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Let them know how much vet bills cost and that if your dog swallows something and gets an obstruction that you'll be sending them the bill.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Don't throw away the stuff. Gather it up and deposit in on their front porch. It's their trash, they can throw it away.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I prefer to build relationships with neighbours rather than damaging them. Yes, the neighbour's kids are brats, but I'm guessing that they really don't know much about dogs and aren't trying to kill Tiger. They are probably wanting to get a reaction out of Tiger by watching him "kill" objects they toss over the fence. Is there a safe toy you could share with them? What if you gave your neighbours a collection of toys that they are welcome to toss over the fence and that you could toss back so the game could continue? Is your dog kid-friendly? Can you invite them over to play? The more they like Tiger, the less likely they will be to do him harm.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Is there a necessary reason that Tiger is unsupervised in the backyard? That's what I am assuming is happening?

I know that the neighbors are being rude. And you should definitely do something to stop their behavior because it is unacceptable for someone to treat your private property like a dump. But it also seems like the other half of the problem is your dog playing with stuff he shouldn't with the potential to hurt himself. The second half is something you control to some extent.

Is there a safe toy you could share with them? What if you gave your neighbours a collection of toys that they are welcome to toss over the fence and that you could toss back so the game could continue?
That is an awesome idea. I like that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is he barking at them when they're out there? They might be trying to "shut him up". If he gets distracted and plays with the things, their efforts are being rewarded with the desired effect. If they're just trying to interact with him, then maybe some more appropriate interaction is in order (invite them over to play fetch with you). I'm sure the parents are none too happy about all these things being tossed over to be destroyed either. It's just a matter of figuring out what the kids are trying to accomplish by tossing things over the fence.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I think bringing up a vet bill is a good idea.

Is there a necessary reason that Tiger is unsupervised in the backyard? That's what I am assuming is happening?

I dont think telling her (sounds like you are) to supervise her dog on her own property should be done. My dogs go out often, and I hardly watch them. its my back yard, it should be a safe place for them to hang out. I check on them. But if I have things to do. Im not going out all day to watch them.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts

Whats wrong with dogs being in a fenced in yard alone? I let mine out alone, checking on them every few minutes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
All great ideas!! Thanks so much everyone.

Tiger is a real quiet dog, he only barks when people enter our backyard and on command.. I can see that the kids might be looking for a reaction out of Tiger, or to play with him from far away, but they have their own dog to play with!! So it's not like they've never interacted with dogs before or are super excited to see one next door. Idk. And I don't know about the parents, it seems like they're out with the kids sometimes, sometimes not.. So I don't know.

And yes, there is a reason he is outside unsupervised, it's because I go to school and work during the day and have no other option. Our backyard is Tiger-friendly so I never have to worry about him chewing on bad things, hurting himself, or getting loose, etc., until all this started happening, of course.:( But yes, if I could be with him all the time I would.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I dont think telling her (sounds like you are) to supervise her dog on her own property should be done. My dogs go out often, and I hardly watch them. its my back yard, it should be a safe place for them to hang out. I check on them. But if I have things to do. Im not going out all day to watch them.
I understand. I do the same. Though I disagree with your first comment if you saying that "dogs on your own property shouldn't have to be watched". I think supervising to some extent (glancing over), no matter where you are, is important. Dogs can get in just as much trouble on property as off. If that is not what you are saying then please disregard.

Whats wrong with dogs being in a fenced in yard alone? I let mine out alone, checking on them every few minutes.
I never said anything was wrong with that. I am asking if that is what is happening. IF that is what is happening, I was going to say that maybe supervising her WHILE this incident is going on might be the best option. I do the same thing, let my dog outside and just keep an eye on her. But, if I had an incident like this happening I probably would stop keeping her outside unsupervised until the situation is cleared up. It sounds to me that the problem isn't solely that the neighbors are throwing stuff over the fence but that the dog is eating/destroying these things which may end up causing a blockage or possible death.

Would you not do the same? Keep your dog more closely supervised if this situation was happening?

You shouldn't be forced to supervise your own dog on your own property because of other people. But, there is being right and there is being proactive.

And yes, there is a reason he is outside unsupervised, it's because I go to school and work during the day and have no other option. Our backyard is Tiger-friendly so I never have to worry about him chewing on bad things, hurting himself, or getting loose, etc., until all this started happening, of course. But yes, if I could be with him all the time I would.
Is there some way to limit his ability to go to that side of the yard? I would hate to see him get hurt. You can talk to your neighbors all day and all night but if they don't change their behavior and you don't limit his interaction with these objects somehow, you could end up with a lot of medical bills or a dead dog. I'm not trying to be mean but kind of put things in perspective.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hmm... i thing the idea by Sasha 1/2 is a great idea - maybe the kids just really want to be part of "playtime". Maybe have a ball between both houses. It'll give tiger stimulation while you atre not there, and hopefully stop kids from throwing things over the fence that could harm him. ZEven ask the neighbour if you could explain to the kids what could happen to him if he gets something stuck in his belly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there some way to limit his ability to go to that side of the yard? I would hate to see him get hurt. You can talk to your neighbors all day and all night but if they don't change their behavior and you don't limit his interaction with these objects somehow, you could end up with a lot of medical bills or a dead dog. I'm not trying to be mean but kind of put things in perspective.
Yes, I see where you're coming from and I agree. Tiger is after all my dog, my responsibility and I do care about his well being very much so.. :)
Luckily nothing bad has happened to him so far and hopefully I can resolve this issue before anything does happen!! /:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have had the same problems you are having with the unsupervised neighbor kids. They are pesky too, but very sweet. My back yard has an agility course on it, so what I did was invited the kids to watch me train and watch them run. Little kids are pretty easy to impress and my dogs impressed them wildly! Then I talked about how I take care of them and how it hurts their feelings to have things thrown in their yard or to be poked with sticks. It helped. I don't leave my dogs out unsupervised, but it did help remove conflict between me and the kidlets.

I can't tell you how Blindly Furious I was when my other neighbor decided to use my back yard, without permission, to give HIS dog some off-leash time......................... I guess I'm still mad about that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have had the same problems you are having with the unsupervised neighbor kids. They are pesky too, but very sweet. My back yard has an agility course on it, so what I did was invited the kids to watch me train and watch them run. Little kids are pretty easy to impress and my dogs impressed them wildly! Then I talked about how I take care of them and how it hurts their feelings to have things thrown in their yard or to be poked with sticks. It helped. I don't leave my dogs out unsupervised, but it did help remove conflict between me and the kidlets.

I can't tell you how Blindly Furious I was when my other neighbor decided to use my back yard, without permission, to give HIS dog some off-leash time......................... I guess I'm still mad about that.
Awwww, that sounds so cute :D I'm glad that worked out.
On the other hand, lol I would be furious too, I don't blame you.....

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
ah ah, after all that nice talking she has done, i say its time for some 'action' , i would do exactly that, i would put the trash in a bag & let them throw it away... but thats the 'nice' way, personally i would just toss it back over same as they did & leave it at that.

im all for building relationships with neighbors but it has to be 50/50 & these ppl dont even seem like they are trying.

·
Banned
43 Posts
I would calmly explain to the parents how much a surgery of that magnitude would cost and that if one of their toys created a situation where your pup needed it, explain how you would expect them to pay for it. Until then I would take every single one of those toys and throw them in the trash bin.
Depending on how old the children are, its the PARENTS and not the kids that are responsible for any issues that occur with the toys coming over onto your property. They should have control over their children. I have two and that would be unacceptable behavior.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts