Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea or have experienced anything where a dog has an intermittent mucous coating on stool, that will spontaneously resolve itself with no treatment in 24-48 hours?

Nug gets this. I can't really figure out what is causing it- fecals when vet runs them are negative, stool texture is a bit softer than normal but then will resolve itself within a day or two. I don't think it's necessarily an ISSUE, but it does make me uneasy when it happens as there seems to be no rhyme or reason- no other symptoms. Food is consistent and stools are normally good Quality, this happens maybe every few weeks? The only thing I'm thinking of is that I feel like it happens when it's rained in the days prior, which makes me think giardia but it's not the classic giardia poop.

Should I just keep bringing in fecals? Not worry about it? Anyone have experience with this? I need to take a picture- I work at an animal shelter so I see, touch, and clean up a LOT of poop, from dogs being treated for all kinds of different things and his stool doesn't resemble anything I've seen.

Can't easily change foods as he has food allergies. Wondering if I should do a round of forti flora? Like I said it spontaneously resolves, making it hard for me to know what to do.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Try probiotics. Our Skyler has fiber responsive colitis, probitics daily, keep it in control. Its amazing what they can do for an irritated gut. Talk to your vet to see if they feel will work for your lil one.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Katie has a similar thing, only not as frequently and her stools are often soft to very soft when it happens. She tends to have a sensitive stomach and sometimes I can trace it back to a new treat, but not always. Hope you get answers.

Luv2byte, I'll ask our vet about probiotics the next time we're in. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts