Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pepto Bismol now contains (Xylitol) an ingredient that is harmful to dogs. And to Humans that have reactions to the ingredient. Like me..

NOT VERIFIED INFORMATION

please discuss

·
Banned
619 Posts
I use several products for my own "GI troubles", never liked Pepto. The dog, I let process naturally with bland diet or if problem continues, then to the Vet.

My use is
Famotide to reduce stomach acid production.
Rolaids for immediate heartburn control.
Imobile BM (Immodium AD) for diarrhea.

Typically, the issue with my MiniS is from some sidewalk snack he snarfed down before I could intervene. These usually pass pretty quickly, either with regurgitation or diarrhea. Then all is back to normal in a few hours and after a mess or 2 for clean-up. Why does the ejection always happen in the house......never outside?

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never used the product or used it for my dogs.... do know it is recommended for use for dogs,,. was asking if it is true that Xylitol is current new ingredient that is fatal for the dogs..

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ron I was pulling up both yes and no's and honestly couldnt tell tell the difference to reach out for others opinions

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
I usually assume that anything I read on FaceBook is false until proven otherwise. It's an occupational holdover from working as an investigative researcher for a health-insurance fraud department.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pepto Bismol now contains (Xylitol) an ingredient that is harmful to dogs. And to Humans that have reactions to the ingredient. Like me..

NOT VERIFIED INFORMATION

please discuss
This is false info. Check out this site:
Both FDA and Health Canada have strict label requirements for human OTC & prescription drugs as well as veterinarian products. These include a full and complete listing of all ingredients- active/inactive, medicinal/non-medicinal, listed in order of concentration. If you don't believe it, contact P&G or any Veterinarian will probably clarify for you too.

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
Thank you for adding the extra information, but as this thread is over a year old and the original claim has now been debunked several times, I'm going to close it to further replies. Do feel free to join in any of our current discussions or start a thread of your own!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.