Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How'd you deal with one when dealing with the other? The dog has peed inside today 3 times (with no prior mistakes) because I was dealing with the kids (who, by the way, are very well behaved, or were until I brought a puppy home). The oldest are a help, the middle not a problem...the youngest 2....maybe I should try a citronella collar? :) I know they're excited, but they are driving me batty.
I don't want to put the dog in the puppy pen or his crate every time I have to deal with the kids. I don't want to be dealing with puppy non -stop and ignoring the kids. He's not being bad...a little mouthy at times, and I've seen where the name "Springer" spaniel comes from, but he's really doing well.
I guess I just feel like I'm a puppy chasing my tail. :)

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Honestly, I did a lot of separation between my young puppies and kids (when the kids were young, they're near grown now), and when they were together making sure puppy or kid was always within arms reach. Since people look down on crating and leashing kids, the puppy got the leash and box. It kind of sucks and is hard, but a routine will eventually develop where things get easier.

Plus, the puppy will grow up faster than the kids ;-) Two months from now, things will be easier. 6 months from now, they'll be harder in a different way. A year from now, they'll be getting easier again. 2 and you'll be gold. So keep your eye on the long term and just kind of... survive and lay foundations for everyone in the meanwhile.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If I cannot be completely focused on the puppy the puppy goes into the crate. It makes my life easier and prevents accidents. I fostered a good bit when my kids were younger (they are 9 and 13.5 now). Even now if I have to be doing something with my kids (I homeschool them) and can't be completely focused on my puppy I put him in his crate. I am home all day so I have plenty of time to devote to the puppy as well as the kids.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't know how old your kids are, but I have a 7 and 9 year old and its a struggle. My wife and I adopted our dog at 6 months and she is now 13 months. As much as we can, we work the dog into the kids activities and the kids into the dog training and care. I had the kids go to dog training with me and they practice the training at home. I'm still constantly somewhere between both kids wanting to hold the dog and the dog trying to escape their cuddling to the flip side of them not paying attention to the dog or helping take care of her because they are on to something else. Both my wife and I work from home so the dog is only crated at night and in the infrequent cases when we are all out without the dog. We take the dog with us almost everywhere. Involving the kids in the training, feeding, cleanup, and overall care has helped us.
Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts