Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are currently bike touring California with Charlotte and Ma'ii, making our way from northern California to the Golden Gate. We're currently in Sacramento right now, visiting with a friend and taking a short break before hitting the road again on Monday.

Yesterday afternoon was a particularly hot day, so we spent it down at the beach with the dogs. Dogs are allowed on the beach, but they HAVE to be kept on a leash. Charlotte and Ma'ii are tied up to a tree with my husband lounging next to them, when this man enters the park with a large Pit Bull on a leash, and a small Pit Bull puppy off leash, no collar. He heads into the bathroom with the leashed dog, and yells from inside for the puppy to follow. Puppy sees our dogs, and obviously being a puppy decides to venture over. Ma'ii and Charlotte start roaring and lunging at their leashes with my husband trying to gain control, and I proceed to shoo the pup back to the bathrooms where his owner is before he gets hurt. Puppy doesn't listen, and seems to think it's a game.

Our friend grabs the pup gently, and guides him back toward the bathroom, when the owner comes our, SCREAMING at the puppy, grabs it by the scruff, throws it to the ground and starts wailing on it in front of a crowed if people, the pup crying hysterically the whole way. And when I say wailing, I mean WAILING. Like, I'm surprised he didn't break this poor things ribs. I saw this and came running over, and while there's other things I wish I had said, I yelledthe first thing that came to mind:"Stop!! It's okay, please!". The guy paid no attention, and just walked away with the pup slinking slowly behind him. As he walked away, I noticed the pup had missing patches of fur on his back.

So..... What do you do in a situation like this? I've witnessed people be mean to dogs before, but nothing like that. I did tell the park ranger when he showed up, but all he was able to do was have the guy put the pup on a leash, and as soon as the ranger left, he took it back off.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
My god. I'm speechless actually. I don't know what I would have done if such a situation would occur here. If my neighbor saw such a thing, he'd beat the guy up himself. My father would say something about it. I think I'd be the type of person to be too horrified to do something. Or maybe I'd start yelling.

Don't you have animal cops in America? Maybe you could call them if something like that happens again. What about all the other people you mentioned? Didn't you say there was a crowd of people? What did they do? Stand there and watch?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Unfortunately, it's perfectly legal to beat your dog wherever you want. Your dog is your property, after all. I've tried calling the police. . .they laughed at me. The Humane Society lady said all they could do would be to ask him to not do it in public.

I know a few men (my brother, notably) who would have offered the guy a chance to pick on someone his own size. But as a woman I wouldn't even try.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My god. I'm speechless actually. I don't know what I would have done if such a situation would occur here. If my neighbor saw such a thing, he'd beat the guy up himself. My father would say something about it. I think I'd be the type of person to be too horrified to do something. Or maybe I'd start yelling.

Don't you have animal cops in America? Maybe you could call them if something like that happens again. What about all the other people you mentioned? Didn't you say there was a crowd of people? What did they do? Stand there and watch?
There are animal cops out here, but we are in a city (and state for that matter) that we have never ventured into. My husband grew up in California, but this is his first time in Sacramento. We have no idea how to contact animal control, and while I know I probably should have asked around, we essentially froze. Telling the ranger was all I could think to do at that moment in time.

Yeah, the crowed just looked without saying anything. I was the only one that uttered any kind of words.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is seriously frightening. Really, people...
I know... Though I suppose it's possible they were in a state of shock as well.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
My uncle saw someone abusing a pit bull and my uncle told him to stop and afford the owner 40$ for the dog. The owner said yes. So my uncle took the dog in. I know you probably aren't in a position to do that but I was just telling a story. I don't know what I would do if I saw someone beat their dog.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I would have been all up in his face. There is a law against assault on people so hr could have been charged with that as I could probably could have brought it out in him.

I thought California's laws were pretty good about abuse. Even here, if witnessed they at least would have to file a complaint, and interrupted the man.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
That is horrendous! I probably would have been in shock ... don't know what I'd do besides yell ... I couldn't take the guy on! I do know my stomach would have turned flip-flops! I also would have had nightmares!

I would not want to be that poor dog's owner's enemy.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Unfortunately, it's perfectly legal to beat your dog wherever you want. Your dog is your property, after all. I've tried calling the police. . .they laughed at me. The Humane Society lady said all they could do would be to ask him to not do it in public.

I know a few men (my brother, notably) who would have offered the guy a chance to pick on someone his own size. But as a woman I wouldn't even try.
Where is animal cruelty legal in this country? Name one place?

·
Banned
964 Posts
It happens..
Thats real life and you gotta step up to the plate and intervene...or go home with your tail between your legs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My husband and I talk about this a lot. We're huge animal lovers, doesnt matter what kind.
Its immature but we both would probably take the man somewhere and beat him to the ground! Make him feel every pain the poor pup was feeling.
Over here in Texas, if you leave your dogs in the car with no air, whoever sees them can break the window and save them, same goes for children.
I hate people like that, to me their weak humans that probably got beat when they were a child...

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Since when it it legal to abuse animals in this country?
Even in my little podunk area, people have gone to jail for beating their animals.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Sorry, I've been told it's legal "as long as they don't injure the dog". And it's hard to prove injury unless the dog can't get up.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It happens..
Thats real life and you gotta step up to the plate and intervene...or go home with your tail between your legs.
I think that's a little easier said then done, especially if you're a typically shy, non-confrontational person caught way off guard.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Nowadays almost everybody has a phone capable of picture taking for proof of abuse/cruelty. Surprises me that nothing was done. I'm 6 days older than dust and would have had to step up. Of course it's easy to say when I'm sitting on my recliner at home.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow terrible incident, props to you for speaking out and at least making it known the behavior is not warranted. I don't think I've ever seen any type of severe animal abuse, but if I did I would not have a problem speaking my mind.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts