Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was from yesterday I just forgot to post it up....

Well apparently sometime over the past week or so, somebody decided to dump these little guys to die over by my house somewhere. My neighbor had said on I think tuesday that she saw 2 little puppies running around in my yard, then going in and out of an old empty building next to my driveway. I hadn't seen them, but I put a bowl of food and some water out on the porch hoping they'd find it. The food sat there untouched all week, and I hadn't once seen them so I figured they were just passing through and had already moved on to somewhere else. Took Piggy into the vet this morning, and I come home around 11:00 or so and as I'm pulling in the driveway I see 2 puppies run under the old building, one solid black and the other solid tan/orange-ish. These guys were absolutely scared to death.... took me about 4 hours just to get them to trust me enough to come out from under the building while I was outside. I made a food trail with some turkey I had, from the building, across the driveway, up a couple steps, and into my house. The black one came in and I was able to get him, but the other one is way way more apprehensive and still won't come near me. I'll have to work with him some more tomorrow...

Anyways, here's the first little guy that the scumbags left for dead. It's a male, looks to be a lab, prob only weighs about 5 lbs, and the only thing you feel is spinal cord and rib bones... it's like petting a skeleton. Once I got him in the house he was still super scared and hid under some chairs for quite awhile, but once I was able to get ahold of him and hold him for awhile he calmed down and almost went to sleep on my lap. Totally sweet pup though, no aggression whatsoever. He was dirty and smelled terrible so I gave him a bath so now he smells like apples, and they've gotta go to the vet ASAP cuz this ones got worms (not sure about the other one... prob does too)

He sure was thirsty!

Him and Piggy almost instantly bonded, lol

I'm kinda thinking he thinks Piggy is his mama.... he got all excited when I brought her out, following her around everywhere wagging his tail, and curling up in her belly

He was cooooold.... after his bath he just sat there next to the radiator for I don't know how long. Mind you it was 8 deg outside fri morning, so I'd say he's prob pretty lucky given how small and underweight he is

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with them yet, if I'm gonna keep them or find them a good home elsewhere (and keep them together... I do believe they're siblings and they were stuck to each other like glue outside). I'll get them to the vet first thing monday and go from there. I hate when people do stuff like this though.... I mean you don't have to even be an animal lover to at least have a heart and take them to a shelter or something

Then this was today.....

WooHoo FINALLY after 29 something hours, puppy #2 has been safely captured. Now he doesn't want to come out of the cage though, lol

Oh and the first little guy is eating good

This is the building they were living under

I'll post more here in a lil bit...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Poor pups! It is all too common for people to ditch their unwanted puppies somewhere, leaving them to die. Thank goodness you were able to catch them! At least they're still young and, if properly socialized, will be able to come out of their shell to become well-rounded dogs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So how's that song go... "reunited and it feels so good"??. I'd say that definitely applies here. The tan one still wouldn't come out of the trap, so the black one went in and they're curled up around each other sleeping sound as a baby. Understandably so too... they've been through alot lately and each other was all they had. I'll leave them be, when they're ready to come out, they'll come out

If I do end up adopting them out, they WILL go together.... not separating them

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I know how YOU feel about not separating them but it would be best to do so if you adopt them out so that they bond to their new people and not to each other. That can be a huge problem (bonding to each other more than to people) if you end up keeping them too.

Two young puppies, taken care of properly, are huge work.

Forgot to add, NICE SAVE!!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone!!

Been several hours now and they're still in the trap sleeping like babies... haven't heard a peep out of them all night. He'll let me reach in and pet him no prob, but still doesn't want to come out just yet

Last pictures I promise, LOL

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hahah alright alright.... I'll get some more when they come out of the cage and cleaned up a little more. They're still sound asleep... must have been super tired! Off to the vet we go first thing in the morning :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know how YOU feel about not separating them but it would be best to do so if you adopt them out so that they bond to their new people and not to each other. That can be a huge problem (bonding to each other more than to people) if you end up keeping them too.

Two young puppies, taken care of properly, are huge work.

Forgot to add, NICE SAVE!!!!
Very nice save for those precious babies and we better get more pics.

As far as seperating litter mates I have heard that time and time again and yes I agree with that there is a risk of that happening.
Personally my experience with raising littermates is this, I have Kirin and Bakku who are now 4.5 y.o. since they were 3 days old, yes they are bonded but Bakku is my velcro dog. Yes she is bonded with her sister but she prefers to be near me 24/7 and Kirin has the wanderlust bug. Sometimes when I take Bakku out on a long excursion Kirin cries. Bakku could really care less if sister is not around. They do have a special grooming routine.
Earlier this year I got 3 April Fools pups, Fergus, Seamus and Goldie when they were about 4 and a half weeks old. For a while I was having a little problem with Fergus, I could have strangled my SO when he sat up all night holding Fergus whenever he whimpered, even though he had his brother and sister to snuggle with. There was a while when Goldie and Fergus were also quite bonded and didn't want to sleep in seperate crates for the first couple days when they got too big to fit together. Never had this problem with Seamus who at 8 weeks old would come back to stand next to me and buff when the neighbor dogs would bark and the rest of the pack went to the fence to bark. I make it a point to take them out and do one on one things with them away from home and I think this helps alot. I think that Goldie is bonded just as closely if not closer with Sadie as she is with her brothers. She defenitely is a Daddy's girl too. He made extra bird feeders just so they can sit and watch the birds. Nowdays I sleep pretzeled between Bakku and Seamus when they consent to sleep in bed with me.
I do not feel that thier bond with me is any less because they have thier siblings and would raise siblings again in a heartbeat if I ever felt like raising mulitple pups again. 2 was a handful but nothing compared to 3. I do think the bond between sibs vs. other pack members is closer except for Goldie and Sadie. I don't really think that I have any "problems" except for Kirin crying when I am out and about with Bakku. Sadie who is not related to any of the rest of my pack is my problem child that came with severe seperation issues.

Once again wonderful job on saving those babies, please keep us updated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone! :) Figure I'd post a quick update... and post a few more pics too

Sunday night... they never did come out of the trap (door was wide open). They literally curled up around each other and slept sound as could be all night

Monday.... finally had to drag him out of the crate to get him out to go to the vet. As you can see by the expression on his face... he wasn't too happy about it

Then when I got home from work.... everybody played!

Bath time! And boy did he need it... lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

All wore out.... I've really gotta give Piggy some major props, as silly as it may sound, she's helped me out a ton with these guys! She's definitely taken the role of mama dog here, and gotten them to really relax and kinda come out of their shells. You can see the change in expressions in their faces just from this morning to tonight, and they'll come up to me now too. She's so gentle with them, even when they're doing annoying stuff that puppies do (like nibbling on her lips... one of the above pics, lol)... but she's never once snapped at them or even gotten mad, she just knows how to deal with them

Anyways... vet visit went pretty good! Both of them are definitely full of worms, and they had some fleas, so they're now on de-wormer, flea meds, heartworm meds, etc. They didn't give them their shots just yet, we're gonna wait 2 weeks and get alot of the worms out first, then do some more tests and check for Parvo and a few other things. If all is well, we'll go ahead with regular vaccinations. I'd say they're well on their way to being happy healthy pups :)

Oh and I was mistaken on the sex of the black pup.... it's actually a female (I could have sworn I saw a lil pecker down there... oh well), and the tan one is def male, both about 8 weeks old according to the vet

Thursday....Not too much to add.... puppies are doing great! They're really starting to come out and liven up alot. They'll run right up to me and jump around and play and lick my hands. They're playing with each other a lot more too, and eating like pigs. I'm now working on their behavior, trying to keep them from developing bad habits. They seem to be very smart already! Black one is getting pretty good at the sit command, and the last 2 days I've come home from work and they've been in the crate, and had zero messes in the crate. They're both getting much better walking on the leash... black one is still a little hesitant but getting much better. Tan one runs and jumps everywhere, lol. I'm seeing less and less worms in their stools, so that's definitely a good sign

They're playing with their toys too! After a little scrubbing this little guy cleaned up pretty nice!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Yaaaaay puppies. I'm really glad to know they're doing so well. Have they got names yet? Keep us updated!

Piggy is definitely a doll; my own girl isn't nearly so patient with pups.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts