Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
For me the issue is I see so many people giving up dogs as soon as they get pregnant (we are having a baby boom in SF). I think there is another thread about that. Its like, what you never saw your self getting pregnant and having kids when you got the dog?
Yes he sounds like he is placeable, but really, so he will get placed, and another dog wont... and in a few years, they will get another dog. Animals are not disposeable, and I do not actually feel that just because you decided you are going to have kids, out goes the dog. They chose a GSD, high likely to have alpha dogs in this breed, amongst other challenges ...
Perhaps they didn't think they would have twins. Twins = twice the cost, twice the time. They may have had time and money for one child and the dog, but 2? Thats something they couldn't help.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Perhaps they didn't think they would have twins. Twins = twice the cost, twice the time. They may have had time and money for one child and the dog, but 2? Thats something they couldn't help.
That was my point, the twins. I agree, I know a lot of purple who just gave up there dog the minute they found out,.that I don't agree with, but twins, I think is totally different I think

·
Registered
717 Posts
I just hate reading the part about the dog being loving and sensitive-- he is so totally bonded to them-- I know my Giant schnauzer would have had such a hard time rebonding to someone-- the dog has not done anything wrong, he will have NO idea why he is being moved from everything he knows.... I guess I just imagine being in the dogs place and it KILLs me....
I know I dont their situation, but couldnt they send the dog over to a relatives house for 6 months or so? If you really truly love your dog theres always another solution-- the dog is 6-- hes trained, healthy, all the initial financial investment has already been made-- and I get the feeling from the ad the dog would have been out whether or not they had 1 kid or triplets.
But of course.
If they dont want him and they dont want to bother/ dont feel up to it, it is better for all involved that the dog is out
( I watched a coworker at work struggle with twins and a dog that was so aggressive her husband had to walk him 10 ft behind her on leash and she wasnt allowed to stop and talk to anyone the dog would go ballistic, they worked with the dog for years... luckily the twins never got hurt but I think some adults were bitten...)....
It just kills me the suffering animals go through, and Rescues are so impacted already, I wish people would really think through things before getting an animal.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I just hate reading the part about the dog being loving and sensitive-- he is so totally bonded to them-- I know my Giant schnauzer would have had such a hard time rebonding to someone-- the dog has not done anything wrong, he will have NO idea why he is being moved from everything he knows.... I guess I just imagine being in the dogs place and it KILLs me....
I know I dont their situation, but couldnt they send the dog over to a relatives house for 6 months or so? If you really truly love your dog theres always another solution-- the dog is 6-- hes trained, healthy, all the initial financial investment has already been made-- and I get the feeling from the ad the dog would have been out whether or not they had 1 kid or triplets.
But of course.
If they dont want him and they dont want to bother/ dont feel up to it, it is better for all involved that the dog is out
( I watched a coworker at work struggle with twins and a dog that was so aggressive her husband had to walk him 10 ft behind her on leash and she wasnt allowed to stop and talk to anyone the dog would go ballistic, they worked with the dog for years... luckily the twins never got hurt but I think some adults were bitten...)....
It just kills me the suffering animals go through, and Rescues are so impacted already, I wish people would really think through things before getting an animal.
You can think ahead, but you can't predict everything that's going to happen ever! And if people decided whether or not to get a dog based on all of the possible negative things that could happen in the future... no one would ever own a dog. Sometimes the improbable happens, and it sucks.

The brother/sister-in-law of a friend of mine recently had twin girls who both have developmental disabilities. They have an older American Eskimo (lower energy, easy to care for), and they have kept their dog, but the poor thing doesn't get nearly enough the attention or exercise that it needs and deserves simply because two babies who both have developmental disabilities take up A LOT of time and energy. The family is considering rehoming the dog because its just too much and they know the dog deserves better.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
http://wichita.craigslist.org/pet/3601828634.html

Why... would you go to a breeder and get a puppy that I'm guessing cost a lot of money.. unless of course it was a random BYB. Which I'm going to assume since these people were irresponsible enough to NOT ask their landlord about the pet policy/ or let him know in advance before going through the trouble of getting a puppy. Ergh.. people...

http://wichita.craigslist.org/pet/3601859352.html

And this... if only I had a gigantic house with acres and acres.. I would so jump on these two.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
http://wichita.craigslist.org/pet/3601828634.html

Why... would you go to a breeder and get a puppy that I'm guessing cost a lot of money.. unless of course it was a random BYB. Which I'm going to assume since these people were irresponsible enough to NOT ask their landlord about the pet policy/ or let him know in advance before going through the trouble of getting a puppy. Ergh.. people...
There was a Rough Collie in Penny's obedience class whose first owner bought him from a breeder for $600, traveled a few hours to get him, got him home and her husband said "no way". WHY would anyone travel to a breeder and pay that much without even discussing it with a spouse (or landlord. . .but I think a spouse is more obvious)? Mind-boggling. And then the breeder said "he's your problem now" so he ended up at the Humane Society. People are weird.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts