Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am always saddend by all the people just getting rid of their animals, I always cry when I see all the animals on craigslist.
Around me there are a lot of puppies on craigslist. But that is better than dumping them on the side of the road or in dumpsters.. Which happens a lot....

I really think people should have to have a license to breed animals, not just let your pet get pregnant by the neighbor dog or cat, it should be illegal
I was actually thinking that exact thing!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Free to a good home, the right home. Unregistered 6 year old spayed red austrailian shepherd, beautiful, sweet, loving, extremely intelligent and easy to train. Bored with owners full time jobs and simple residential living; would make an excellent herder, athletic/frequent hiking owner's close companion. Somewhat picky about other dogs, but highly adaptable, well socialized. Good with cats that are used to dogs, antagonizing to those that are not, when she is bored. Would make an excellent therapy dog or family dog with older kids if excersized properly. No serious medical problems or history, all toys, dishes, treats, chews, all medical history and puppy obedience class graduation certificate, bed, food, kennel (kennel trained although she has not been in one for several years, perfectly house trained and does not chew or get into to trouble even when bored) included. High energy, loves to stay with her human companion at all times, excellent in car rides, excellent leash and off leash trained (does not pull, I trained her to walk at my side with leash loose and doubled in my fingers, and she will test boundaries off leash from time to time but responds to commands very well, trained to slow down after 20 feet if allowed in front of me), knows MANY commands and tricks, and is always hungry to learn more. Preferably to farm home where she will become a working or agility dog. If she goes to another residential home, will want solid assurance owner is dedicated dog walker, hiker, agility interest, or can provide proper mental and physical daily stimulation year round.
Sounds like a great dog. Real pity the owner is rehoming it, especially at 6 years. :(

http://dayton.craigslist.org/pet/3577381951.html

·
Registered
17,910 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Not related to a craigslist ad.. But I was at Petsmart and someone had there alligator with them.. It is only like 3 feet long though :/ I though it was a Caiman, because I don't know if you can stunt an alligators growth... I think the guy even had it on a leash XD , But he was still holding it
I'm almost positive that you can't stunt their growth, which makes the ad even more questionable. I remember local petshops sold babies for a while (He! I just realized you're in the same state!). I was in middleschool at the time and even I knew that was a bad idea.

EDIT: I vaguely remember a gas station in Ponchatoula or something that had a gator that they eventually had to get rid of because he got too big? I might be misremembering.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Taryn, I glad you are out there scrutinizing the ADs on Craigslist. I hope you are giving those people feedback!
I havent seen such bad situations so far ( I read the farm/ garden sections for several areas-- Sacramento, gold Country, sutter-Yuba, etc... I think we have alot of SPCAs, rescue around that do great jobs )-- I do believe that fair amount of people are irresponsible idiots (and I work with children....) .... That said, I did get some great chickens off Craigslist.....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Its the "goldfish theory" that fish or other animals won't grow larger than their tanks allow.... I know from experience with Koi, dont bet on it!!

The Toronto ads don't usually have many dogs. But they are overrun with cats.

Check out this one....
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pet/3574174304.html
The dog's a mess!
I would think that under feeding an alligator might stunt it's growth, but I suspect that the main excitement of owning an alligator is the act of feeding it, so... Anyway, under feeding would be cruel.

That poor dog. He sounds like a mess.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well the dude said it was kept in a 170 gallon tank or something. I still think it was a Caiman, which are often kept as pets I believe. I would never want a alligator or even a Caiman, as a pet. I would diffidently have a albino ball python though! If my dad wasn't afraid of snakes (I am 17 so I still live at home).

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
Well the dude said it was kept in a 170 gallon tank or something. I still think it was a Caiman, which are often kept as pets I believe. I would never want a alligator or even a Caiman, as a pet. I would diffidently have a albino ball python though! If my dad wasn't afraid of snakes (I am 17 so I still live at home).
I'm 35 and own my own house.

My KIDS won't let me have a snake. (In fairness, I could obviously if I really wanted, but terrifying them seems kind of mean).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Its the "goldfish theory" that fish or other animals won't grow larger than their tanks allow.... I know from experience with Koi, dont bet on it!!
Actually Gold fish will get stunted as will other fish, but there insides keep growing, then they have kidney failure and respiratory failure. I know Bala Sharks will to that. Ew.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
Actually Gold fish will get stunted as will other fish, but there insides keep growing, then they have kidney failure and respiratory failure. I know Bala Sharks will to that. Ew.
They will be stunted, but it's not the size of the container. It's because Goldfish are VERY dirty fish (lots of ammonia), and in a small bowl or tank they are basically living in complete filth, and it - yep, ultimately kills them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't know why anybody would want them in their fish tank, other than for food for a bigger fish. Bettas are better for a pet fish..

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
They die if kept in a container too small (ammonia, dirt and unable to move around) so I don't really call that stunting so much as just death. My point is that you can't get a large species of goldfish or koi and expect that a small tank will magically mean a small fish. It will mean a fish that grows until the tank is insufficient (water quality/space wise) and then die because in essence, its overcrowding itself.

of course that wasn't the fate of my fish, we just got a larger tank.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I honestly can't imagine how she is ever going to rehome this dog. At least she is being upfront about the issues, so thats good. But still, I'd be willing to bet that with a 1 year old this dog never got the attention, exercise and training it needs (and an aussie NEEDS it). The dog didn't fail as a pet... she failed as an owner.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I honestly can't imagine how she is ever going to rehome this dog. At least she is being upfront about the issues, so thats good. But still, I'd be willing to bet that with a 1 year old this dog never got the attention, exercise and training it needs (and an aussie NEEDS it). The dog didn't fail as a pet... she failed as an owner.
Wow, Yes this dog is a mess!!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
But the dog is 6yo and doesn't like her 1yo child? Doesn't that happen sometimes? I mean, it sounds like a good reason to me to rehome a dog - for the safety of your children?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
But the dog is 6yo and doesn't like her 1yo child? Doesn't that happen sometimes? I mean, it sounds like a good reason to me to rehome a dog - for the safety of your children?
I agree, if its true. Some people use that as an excuse. I rehomed a young dog that was a hazard to my child, we tried everything we could think of and it wasn't working, so the dog found a new home and no one will ever make me feel bad about that. I think your children our your first priority!! Of course most people probably know that. Before my daughter came I would keep any dog, and work through the problems, having such a young child I just can't do that anymore. I won't put my daughter at risk to try and work through a dogs issues!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I read a craigslist posting for puppies at 7 weeks old being 'ready to go' .... the mother was a shar pei mix and the father was a CKC registered Olde English Bulldogge... And in the description it read "Easily trainable, loves to play, very social" ....

Stop lying. Whoever sold you a purebred dog should have shot you. You bred them because you saw two wrinkling faces, not because they should mix in any way, shape, or form. BYBs.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I agree, at this point its too late the dog needs to be rehomed. But its obvious from reading the description that the dog has severe separation anxiety and general aggression "we need a hermit who never has people over...."

To me it sounds like an unexercised, untrained BC that developed temperament issues. I would be really suprised if it turned out she runs him an hour a day, has had behaviourists in to deal with the issues...

41 - 60 of 88 Posts