Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so by the end of the summer, I'll be moving to Burleson, TX... I'm guessing that's central? Well I hear that the flea and heartworm situation in TX is quite a bit more extreme than it is here (where it's pretty uncommon). How do you guys in TX deal with fleas? Do you use chemicals? Has anyone been able to get away with natural prevention/remedies? What about heartworm?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I use comfortis every month for fleas on my dog. we've been using it for over a year and I haven't seen a live flea on him. I have found a few dead fleas though after him being in close contact with other dogs.

Honestly, I've never tried any natural prevention/remedies, although that does sound nice.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I've neve rhad any luck with the natural remedies. BUT I do stretch Frontline to every 45-60 days, (It's supposed to protect from fleas for up to 90) since I don't really have a tick problem.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm a little more east than Burleson (ironically I am in Burleson about every 6 weeks, my fiance's parents live in Alvarado!!), and we stretch our frontline out like Dogstar. Heartworm we keep him on a preventative year round. I know a lot of people that don't use it during the winter months; but I'm not willing to take the risk.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone used Interceptor there?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I use Interceptor for one of mine and it I'm really happy with it. She just went in for her yearly Hworm test and came away clear, and that was with spreading the Hworm out over the winter.

I haven't used anything for fleas/ticks in several years. Haven't had much of a problem with them. I just keep them well bathed and brushed out. But when I use something, I use Bio-Spot and it's always worked very well for me. I also make up a mixted of Avon Skin so Soft and water and mist 'em down in the evening during the dead of summer - helps with some of the nasties.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have only seen problems with fleas if you let them infest and multiply badly. i have used just natural herbs and been ok like neem or pennyroyal, but some of those can be dangerous if not used right.

I'm using interceptor and Frontline myself, with heart worms in my experience in Texas you either treat the dog or they get them, it's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome. I think if I use something I'd like to use Interceptor but wanted to make sure it's working in the area that I'm moving to first. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Im in the DFW area and the fleas are extremely bad right now. Heartworms have kinda been bad the last few years: i wouldn't even take the risk of my dogs not being on HW prevention.

One of my bosses at work missed one dose of hw meds for her dog, Tank, and he came up HW positive. So I make sure all of my dogs are on preventative.

As for the flea medication, I use frontline and it seems to do a pretty good job. However Teddie has been having a reaction to the fleas and hs a horrible allergic reation right now, but that has to do more with him rather than the meds.

The Texas fleas are more powerful than any i've ever seen or heard of from others. It takes a lot to kill them, I call them monster fleas, I've yet to find something natural that will kill them.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't live in TX, but we got a very very similar weather here in Nuevo Leon (we live couple hundred miles from texas), we do have alot of fleas around, but sometimes fleas won't thrive in your house, they have never thrived in our yard or house, then again, we fumigate every 6 months with a Plant/Animal friendly product, you might want to check with your vet several insecticides to see if they could harm your dogs, or kids if you have any.:)

Whenever i bath my dogs, i use a regular dog shampoo, and i will run a flea comb just in case, but i have not had fleas in a looooooooooooooong time.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I hadn't used anything for fleas on them since november, but this summer, the neighbors yard became infested, so they started the frontline again. I keep them on the heartguard year round.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I draw my heartworm out a little in the dead of winter, but still keep them on it just space it out longer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts