Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You mean puppy classes and play groups? Even attending the puppy classes at petsmart is better imo than just walking around the store.
I'm not sure about the puppy classes at your Petsmart, but I know the ones at ours involve people walking their puppies/dogs around the store and training them in different areas of the stores and meeting other dogs that come in the store (stupid, STUPID, idea IMO).

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I keep my classes in calm areas of the store and we only practice meetings with the dogs in the class.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Sometimes I think all those bloody things are useful for are taking the cords to strangle the stupid owners that let their dogs walk the full length of them in a STORE. And said cords are so thin I don't trust them on even the most well trained full grown GSD! I don't think those belts are much better either >.<

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Amen to that Xeph.

CP - If I never put her in a position where she can exercise her prey drive, how am I supposed to train her? :) In all honesty, and as I've stated numerous times and you seem to be ignoring she gets on fine with my moms three pound chihuahua and does fine with other small dogs as long as they don't charge her. And that being said this particular maltese did charge her and she still didn't have a negative reaction. That should attest to the training I've done with her.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Being an avid petstore trainer/walker, Strauss and I have often come into contact with the "beligerent" dog. My first instinct and action is always to tell my dog to platz (lie down).

Why?

#1 This puts my dog in a more submissive position , which allows the other dog to calm down somewhat in 98% of these "altercations"

#2 It gives me a chance to get BETWEEN myself and the other dog (Yes, I risk bites to protect my dog)

#3 It gives me one less dog to deal with!

#4 If a dog happens to jump/lunge at my dog, he lands on my dog's BACK and doesn't get his FACE, and I get to catch the other dog (again, yes, I risk a bite to protect my dog...that's my job)...in some situations the dog completely jumps OVER mine (Yes, it has happened).

#5 Strauss has a good enough watch that if it is a LARGE dog, I can bring him back up to fuss, focus on the OTHER dog, and keep him watching ME so things don't get worse.

This is NOT to say that we are in dog/dog altercations every other day, but they happen...that's what happens when you take your dog out in the world. Sometimes there are altercations.

Man, I can't get his CDX, but he obeys where it really counts, I can tell you that....

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
What DA problems does your dog have? Is all your training done at the kennel club? When I observe kennel club classes I don't see much training going on. Especially if it's a new behavior. But I do see a lot of practice. Practice of behavior that have been trained in a not-so distracting environment.

Beyond that, I don't know any prudent behaviorist who would take a DA dog to Petco without installing and proofing behavior in the guardian's home. The risk just isn't worth it. Where as the risk of a puppy blowing off a "sit" is not so harmful.

I am not a behaviorist but I have worked with a whole lot of dog aggressive/ leash reactive dogs. I do take them to Petco and other public places where we have never been asked to get out. When I made my statement earlier I guess I thought it would be assumed the dog is under my control going in and remained so while there. I would never take a snarling monster anywhere in public. One must work up to that. It is however a step toward getting a dog over that behavior and in my opinion a necessary evil. I too take my dogs to kennel clubs and other training facilities for the same reasons. The more exposure that I can get for my dogs the better.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I am not a behaviorist but I have worked with a whole lot of dog aggressive/ leash reactive dogs. I do take them to Petco and other public places where we have never been asked to get out. When I made my statement earlier I guess I thought it would be assumed the dog is under my control going in and remained so while there. I would never take a snarling monster anywhere in public. One must work up to that. It is however a step toward getting a dog over that behavior and in my opinion a necessary evil. I too take my dogs to kennel clubs and other training facilities for the same reasons. The more exposure that I can get for my dogs the better.
As a trainer I can understand Inga's and others wanting to get their dogs in a place that obviously is going to dump a lot of distractions on their dogs. I'm just going to assume that nothing bad has happened to change their minds on this stuff. When I was a young brute all full of myself I occasionally would take protection dogs into the local pubs. Never had a problem, I was insured etc and it was done as a training exercise. It probably was not the smartest program so I'm not going to judge anybody. The difference was I scoped out place before entering with dog etc. and with an agitiator setup on a bar stool it was interesting to say the least. It was a much more controlled environment that the local Petco PetsMart could ever be. But you take your chances do what you do and life goes on. Kinda like riding a motorcycle without a helmet.(which is the only way to fly)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I do apologize upendi's mom. I see that your first post stated that upendi is not DA. However I still believe that DA dogs do belong in a training class and not in a store. (That includes little white maltese dogs that run up to other dogs barking like idiots and I own one but she is not DA.) And by the way breed bans are ridiculous. The most aggressive dog that I have ever encountered at the clinic was a very large black lab.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I do apologize upendi's mom. I see that your first post stated that upendi is not DA. However I still believe that DA dogs do belong in a training class and not in a store. (That includes little white maltese dogs that run up to other dogs barking like idiots and I own one but she is not DA.) And by the way breed bans are ridiculous. The most aggressive dog that I have ever encountered at the clinic was a very large black lab.
No need to apologize, I just wanted to get that cleared up. :)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
As a trainer I can understand Inga's and others wanting to get their dogs in a place that obviously is going to dump a lot of distractions on their dogs. I'm just going to assume that nothing bad has happened to change their minds on this stuff. When I was a young brute all full of myself I occasionally would take protection dogs into the local pubs. Never had a problem, I was insured etc and it was done as a training exercise. It probably was not the smartest program so I'm not going to judge anybody. The difference was I scoped out place before entering with dog etc. and with an agitiator setup on a bar stool it was interesting to say the least. It was a much more controlled environment that the local Petco PetsMart could ever be. But you take your chances do what you do and life goes on. Kinda like riding a motorcycle without a helmet.(which is the only way to fly)

I can only assume Petco's in other areas are much more chaotic then ours is. Yes, we do on occasion have little dogs that are sort of exuberant and yappy but not the crazy unpredictable picture some folks are painting. I think people are confused as to the degree of reactivity I am referring to also. Maybe everyone is simply assuming Rottweiler= dangerous and out of control. My dogs are quite the opposite or I wouldn't be bringing them to a busy place.
We walk in on a heel and work attention when I am there. I am alert to the dogs in the store. Many of the employees know me and my dogs and come over for some attention and treat giving. When I see dogs who's owners are not watching close, I avoid them. Depending on the dog I work, I might bring them in and have their back to a wall (no not cornered) just in a position so nobody can sneak up behind me. I suspect that if management had an issue with my being there they wouldn't welcome us so warmly like they do week after week.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Bologna....I train at a kennel club every week...it is not an environment I can control. No environment is something you can truly control. There's all sorts of unknowns and what if's :p
That training video where Strauss was jumped by another dog in what was SUPPOSED to be a "controlled environment" comes to mind lol. =3

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I can only assume Petco's in other areas are much more chaotic then ours is. Yes, we do on occasion have little dogs that are sort of exuberant and yappy but not the crazy unpredictable picture some folks are painting.
I agree.. and I live in a borough of NYC..

My favorite time to go to Petsmart is on a Saturday because it's the only time where a good amount of people are actually there. And even then, it's not this chaotic warzone of aggressive dogs and yappy lunging dogs that some of you guys make it out to be.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I dont get how this turned in tot he OP's dog being a completley out of control dog agressive dog who wants to eat all dogs, turned in to a DA pitbull who should be banned, becuase westies dont bite.

the dog just has a bit of a prey drive and gets excitied when aproched out of no where when a idiot owner has a dog on a flexi.

Blaze used to be VERY leash agressive after being attacked so many times. I worked my ass off with this dog. just sitting and watching other dogs on his leash, a the dog park far away, slowly introducing him to new calm dogs. Then I started in the pet stores. just hangning out (I always bring my mom to also stand guard). Blaze now has gotten so good I have no worries. he can great any dog, espeacially puppies (he never did have a issue with puppies) just today at the pet store he was jumped all over by a collie pup, a lab pup, a torkie pup and a toy poodle pup. He justs stood there wagging his tail

101 - 116 of 116 Posts