Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Sure, let's ban all those dangerous-looking breeds. It doesn't stop the STUPID, IRRESPONSIBLE owners from bringing their golden or lab into the store and letting it attack someone (I've seen these two much-loved breeds and more go nuts in many a pet store, so breed doesn't really matter here). I mean come on, seriously.

Yup! Carsten is currently sporting about a 3 1/2 inch gash on his side with a nice thick scab on it from a Golden Retriever biting. Imagine that. :eek:
The Golden went away unscathed too. Next dog might not be so lucky.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm pretty sure people telling dog owners to go to a petstore to practice this or that are referring to dogs who are NOT dog aggressive, have very high prey drive, or human aggressive.

goign to a petsmart or petco where other people are unsuspectingly a part of your 'training' is not fair to other owners.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can see why people want bans on certain breeds now.
Give me a freakin' break.

The only problem I EVER have when I take my dog to PetCo is someone "losing control" of their pint-sized dog (how is this possible??), which they for some reason never saw any reason to train.

The small dog will run at my dog snapping and snarling, and THEN I get verbally abused by the owner because my growls and is therefore "aggressive." Please. My dog is reactive but sits, stays and focuses when another dog is present because I have taken her to places where other dogs are and have trained her to do so. On the other hand, if you are going to let your chihuahua launch itself at her in the pet store, God help you.

By your standards, I would not be able to walk my dog down the street either as these people have no more control in that situation than they do in the pet store.

I think the moral of the story here is that you need to PAY ATTENTION to your dog in these situations no matter its size!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
A training environment is one you can control?

Does that mean I shouldn't be training outside because I can't control the squirells and birds and sounds and when the wind blows, etc?

That just sounds weird to me. :confused:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think "control" in this context is used somewhat loosely.

"Control" to me means that you know what to reasonably expect from your environment and it is not more than your dog can handle given his current level of training.

So, I would train my dog on leash in a park where squirrels and other dogs were present, but I would not train her off leash anyplace. That's just where she's at. Other people could maintain control in more distracting situations than that because their dogs are desensitized.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Banning certain breeds will be the outcome if people start training their DA dogs in uncontrolled environments. Not that I agree with bans but that could be the consequence for irresponsible owners of certain breeds. They are not ever going to ban retrievers or little dogs - that's life. Unfortunately that's the way it is, public opinion is not on your side if you have one of these dogs. So you have to have better control of your dogs than others. That's life - deal with it.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
When it comes to the risk to another animal, it needs to be controlled. If your dog has high prey drive, a squirell outside is not likely to be at risk because if your dog got away, the squirel would too. The squirell is not going to run up to your dog, like a little whateverpoo might in a pet shop.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Banning certain breeds will be the outcome if people start training their DA dogs in uncontrolled environments. Not that I agree with bans but that could be the consequence for irresponsible owners of certain breeds. They are not ever going to ban retreivers or little dogs - that's life. Unfortunately that's the way it is, public opinion is not on your side if you have one of these dogs. So you have to have better control of your dogs than others. That's life - deal with it.
Guess what? Pit bulls used to be the all-American dogs everyone loved.

If you don't think labs or tiny whittle fuzzy wuzzy dogs can't end up being portrayed as vicious predators, you're ignoring history.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Yes, why would a class held at Petco tell you that you should take your dog to Petco? I'm not saying it's not necessarily a bad idea (I have a favorite petstore that I take my dog to all the time, precisely to socialize her with new dogs & people) - I'm just saying that this might not exactly be a neutral opinion.
There's a BIG difference between behavior modification work (DA dogs) and working with dogs in a formative period. When the distraction is that difference, bringing a dog to Petco would be the end result for a DA dog.

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I'd like to clarify something which I thought made clear in my original post Upendi is neither dog aggressive or human aggresive. However she is a rough player and likes to play chase. She has no problem meeting small dogs in a controlled fashion, she does not however like them charging her which is exactly what happened as this owner was not paying attention to their dog while having it on a flexi leash. And Upendi did amazingly, I pulled her to the side and put her in a sit stay and she did it. Also I live in a small area and in the year I've been taking Upendi there, there's never been more than two other dogs in the store at one time. I do know what I'm doing and I make sure not to put my dog or anyone elses dog at risk. Apparently somewhere along the line someone got the idea that Upendi is DA and I will repeat once again as I did in my first post that she is NOT. And Petco is honestly the best place in my area to take her for socialization. And I crossed to the other side because I saw that the other owner was clearly not paying attention, she had her back turned to where her dog was. Just for clarification.

Those words at best - I certainly don't appreciate any owners bringing in dogs with no training. Even less so if they are outwardly aggressive.
I don't get where you got the idea that Upendi has no training, as she is currently training to take her CGC, and she is not aggressive at all. Thank you.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
A training environment is one you can control?

Does that mean I shouldn't be training outside because I can't control the squirells and birds and sounds and when the wind blows, etc?

That just sounds weird to me. :confused:
Again, the methodology is from zero distraction to distraction. It's much easier and less frustrating to the dog if the behavior is generalized from zero distraction to distraction. If you're teaching a look-at-me for example, and you haven't trained that behavior in your living room, yes, taking it outside would be a poor choice. It's very difficult to protect a cue if you rush it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Done. You seem young enough to payout.
Not just breedist but discriminate based on age, too? I'm 28. God willing, I'll still be kicking. Statistically, I should be dead.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Done. You seem young enough to payout.
I will tell you a Westie is the only dog that has ever bit me! I was walking away, with my back to the dog, and he ran up and bit me hard through a pair of jeans. Watch what you say about banning breeds.:mad:

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Those words at best - I certainly don't appreciate any owners bringing in dogs with no training. Even less so if they are outwardly aggressive.
I don't get where you got the idea that Upendi has no training, as she is currently training to take her CGC, and she is not aggressive at all. Thank you.
That wasn't directed at Upendi, just the general discussion that has been going on, most of which hasn't been directed at Upendi. I do have a reactive non-aggressive dog often mistaken for being aggressive myself.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Not just specist but discriminate based on age, too? I'm 28. God willing, I'll still be kicking. Statistically, I should be dead.

Not just breedist but discriminate based on age, too? I'm 28. God willing, I'll still be kicking. Statistically, I should be dead.
Just observant, I don't discriminate. I know what you are thinking, but you are not statistically suppose to be dead at that age. Your use of statistics and conclusion is incorrect.

41 - 60 of 116 Posts