Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Heh, my .02 cents. It's probably not a good idea to bring a dog or people aggressive dog to the pet store. Not that I'm going to say some one is a bad person for doing it, but it's probably not the greatest of ideas. And if one must, it means you have a lot more responsibility to make sure your dog is under control and not in danger of threatening another dog (sounds like OP was doing that).

But I don't think that excuses the people who aren't controlling their own dogs (and speaking as a pet store clerk, I hate those extended leashes as hardly anyone ever has their dog under control on them and unless they are locked in one position it's pretty hard to keep the dog under control at which point, why not just have a regular leash?).

Really I think if some thing happened between a DA dog that was under control and some one whose dog was really not under control (they weren't watching it and it was on an extended leash or not even leashed) got in an altercation, I think the blame really falls on the person whose dog was not under control.

Though, to OP, what you could do is buy a collar, fit it on him in the car, if it doesn't work, go back and exchange it for another size (That way you don't have to buy a whole bunch at once if you don't have the money but you don't have to bring him in and risk him managing to get a dog). A little more work but you don't have to worry about something happening. Evne if your dog is under control, you see how other people don't. And you can see how they might end up blaming you. Though I think the court would rule in your favor (but it's best not to have an incident in the first place ;) ).

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
So if I bring my dog into Petco she becomes training bait for DA Pit Bulls? What happens if your dog breaks free of its collar?
LOL! If a RESPONSIBLE Pit Bull owner is in Petco with a DA Pit Bull, that Pit Bull is the LEAST of your worries. You need to be more concerned with that Golden Retriever that thinks your dog is a toy.

Breaking loose of it's collar? That dog would not be straining on it's collar, otherwise that owner is doing it very VERY wrong.

What people do, is they take their dog over to a side of the store and put then in "Sit and Stays" and then stand in front of the dog with treats giving them a "watch command" so the dog focuses on their owner. If there is a break in eye contact or the owner feels that anyone else even might unsafe, they remove the dog from the store.

Never have heard of someone being attacked in a Pet store yet.

Oh and CP, If Petco isn't a good place to train, then why do they offer training classes there which also in they TELL you to bring your dog in to the store to practice training with distractions? Also why in the world did most Trainers and Behaviorist I was working with when I have Carter asked me to take him in more places like Pet store for training? And also trainers for the CGC class I was about to start ENCOURAGED us to take our dogs into Petco and Petsmarts for training how to walk past other dogs while keeping the dogs focus on us?

Your logic is the opposite of what I've been told by every trainer I've spoken too.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Oh and CP, If Petco isn't a good place to train, then why do they offer training classes there which also in they TELL you to bring your dog in to the store to practice training with distractions?
I've never seen a training class for DA dogs at Petco, so what's your point?

Also why in the world did most Trainers and Behaviorist I was working with when I have Carter asked me to take him in more places like Pet store for training?
Presumably that trainer or behaviorist is insured and their expertise offers some level of control that you wouldn't have before. But if you're trainer or behaviorist is suggesting this before subsequent training with the trainer or behaviorist, they are not only putting you and your dog in harms way, they are putting the public in harms way.

And also trainers for the CGC class I was about to start ENCOURAGED us to take our dogs into Petco and Petsmarts for training how to walk past other dogs while keeping the dogs focus on us?
A CGC instructor's training emphasis is much different than that of behaviorist working with a DA dog. Apples to oranges.

Your logic is the opposite of what I've been told by every trainer I've spoken too.
My logic is for more control and responsibility. So I agree with you, it's opposite of what you've been told.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Petco is not a training environment. A training environment is one you can control. Obviously, if a dog can run loose at the end of an unlocked flexi-lead, this place is the worst possible training environment.
Petco sounds like chinese fire drill to me. I can understand Darkmoon's training program, but and I mean a big "but" there are just too many uncontrolled variables involved for the safety of somebody's Foo-Foo. I'm not here for argument's sake. I'm gone.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
As someone who works at PetSmart...

Leave the dog in the car or at home. We LOVE having dogs come in to visit. I greet every one I see. But when my dog is having a grouchy day and isn't being friendly with the bigger dogs, I put her in the hotel so I can do my job and not upset the other dogs. When people bring their huge dogs in that rush Sadie, or their dogs on retractables that rush us, I have a hard time being nice to them.

It's not appropriate to use the pet store where "Well Behaved On Leash Dogs" are allowed, as a place to practice with a dog that has a strong prey drive. For the reasons mentioned above - not because YOU are not in control of your DOG, but because you are not in control of the STORE.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
But according to her owner, Upendi IS well behaved on leash.. if she is indeed aggressive, that's different. I stand by my statement that if rushed up to by another dog forcefully/noisily, most dogs will react in SOME way.. that's just a chance you have to be willing to take at Petco, parks, etc.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
But according to her owner, Upendi IS well behaved on leash.. if she is indeed aggressive, that's different. I stand by my statement that if rushed up to by another dog forcefully/noisily, most dogs will react in SOME way.. that's just a chance you have to be willing to take at Petco, parks, etc.
You're right, but I think if you have to change where you're walking to avoid a problem, the dog is not behaved enough to be there. What happens when 5 other dogs in a row come in and there's nowhere else to go?

If I couldn't walk past other dogs with my dog, she wouldn't be allowed there. Does she LIKE them? No. Do they still rush her? Yes. But when that happens, she simply turns to me and stares until I take her away. I don't have to immediately turn down an aisle to get away.

Now, when the KIDS do it, I basically tell them "Would you like it if I came up and grabbed your face?" I don't think those kids should be there either! If you can't keep your kid well behaved, leave them at home too :)

Oh god that reminds me of the family yesterday with like 8 kids all kicking, yanking, yelling at each other, calling each other and the dog stupid, the mom calling THEM stupid and yelling, all tugging on the DOG, and the mom telling me the dog won't behave in public. It took all of my willpower not to say "You're more concerned about the dog? Really? The dog is better than the kids. At least she's not biting back."

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
There's no bigger breed advocate than I. Statistically water buckets pose a bigger threat to the public than any breed of dog. How many laws are being written to outlaw water buckets? Now is not the time to be responsible for a headline. If we're ever to out run a sensationalistic media, we as dog owners need to do more to promote responsible dog ownership. And that's all I'm doing here.

Sure Petco may be a great place to work around distraction. However, the method isn't find the problem and face all possible distraction. The method is start at zero distraction and proceed only as far as you're dog is willing to learn.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Wow. Just, wow. I have to totally agree with CP on this one. DA dogs have absolutely no business whatsoever being in Petsomething stores. There are simply too many variables you have no control over. Leashes slip from hands, collars come undone, and the other people and dogs in the store can't always know what you are dealing with as you mingle or do "training exercises" around them as they try to shop with their pets. Leaving the store if you think your dog is having a real problem sounds good, until you think about having to go past more dogs and people on your way out.

I would say this goes for dogs like Upendi, too. Your dog may not have bitten another YET, but if she were to get away from you or she is charged by a dog who gets away from it's owner or gets too close some other way and is then frightened by Upendi's "very strong prey drive" behavior, an attack is not at all unlikely. Whatever it is you need to buy and fit to your dog, I'm sure an associate would be happy to assist you with it without having your dog enter the store. You could have always bought one collar, tried it on in the car, taken it back to exchange it for another right then, etc. Training for dogs who don't "get along with" other dogs for whatever reason(s) needs to take place in a more controlled environment, preferably with the assistance of a qualified behaviorist as well as owners who KNOW what is up so they can accept the risk and handle their dogs accordingly.

"Never have heard of someone being attacked in a Pet store yet." Darkmoon -

I've both seen dogs being attacked in pet stores and read about dogs being attacked in pet stores on forums, I believe including this one.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Oh, jesirose, definitely. If the dog is going to go after other dogs that are just walking by, that is definitely a problem. From Upendi's post it just seemed like the problem only occurred when the other dog ran up to her own. And even then, the problem DIDN'T occur, because the owner was diligent enough to keep track of the surroundings and restrain her dog.

..To me, there is no right answer to any of this stuff.. some people would say that Upendi shouldn't be there, others would say that the small dog out of control shouldn't be there. Some (I) would say they could BOTH be there provided they are kept under control and are not outright "aggressive." The same thing happens at dog parks, where the whole thing gets a lot more sticky. Fact is, there are very few 100% perfect dogs, so when two incompatible dogs find themselves in the same situation, the capacity for trouble rises. Is a dog with a prey drive a culprit? Is a small dog with no manners and a too-long leash to blame? Know what I mean?

Something similar happened at the DP back when I used to go. Guy comes in with a Greyhound (not that I agree with having Greys at DPs) who's not out to harm but does like to chase smaller dogs. The small dog section was being monopolized by people having a playgroup for their "iffy" dogs, which wasn't fair, but we'll leave them out of the equation. Later on a family comes in with their mini poodle. Greyhound was there first. Greyhound chases the mini poodle and the family gets mad. Who winds up leaving? They Greyhound.. even though he was there first and wasn't actually being aggressive. I know the two stories aren't THAT similar but it always comes down to "who's wrong" when really I don't think there's a fair way to decide.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
To me, there is no right answer to any of this stuff.. some people would say that Upendi shouldn't be there, others would say that the small dog out of control shouldn't be there.
I agree with MissMutt on this: Every situation poses a positive and negative reaction from everyone not everyone agrees the same way about everything, and if you're someone who agrees differently, you're probably not going to change anyone else's mind. lol!

To Upendi'sMommy- Two weeks ago I took Donatello in PetCo to get him fitted for a new collar too. Several people would probably think that I shouldn't take Donatello anywhere, just for the sheer fact he has some emotional restraints. But like someone else mentioned, I don't feel comfortable leaving Donatello home 24/7 in our apartment, if there's a place I'm going where he can go too, then I take him. I don't feel he should be punished or unrewarded just because he acts different than other dogs. I want Donatello socialized too; Like I mentioned earlier, if I notice the pet stores are crowded I instantly pick him up and put him in a cart; Of course something could probably still happen, but it reduces the risk. He's touched noses before with two Min-Pins on an un-locked retractable leash, he did well- But a passing Pit Bull at the dog park had him barking and snarling. lol!

The most advice anyone could give in this situation is to warn of the consequences, offer alternatives, or just remind the individuals to be alert...

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
As a small breed owner who watches her little one like a hawk, I certainly don't appreciate any owners bringing in dogs with no training. Even less so if they are outwardly aggressive. Smalls is extremely reactive. She's friendly, but she could very well hurt a small dog in her excitement. She does not go to any pet store with me. I can easily keep her under wraps, but if I'm distracted for a moment she could knock me on my butt in a melee for another dog.

Though, I guess I rarely bring any of my dogs into pet stores anymore. Too many rude grabby people, children, and dogs not under control. After our Elkhound was attacked by two GSDs their owners couldn't control we just stopped bringing them so often.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Though, I guess I rarely bring any of my dogs into pet stores anymore. Too many rude grabby people, children, and dogs not under control.
Bingo. I don't know how others shop, but I get pretty engrossed reading ingredients lists, checking for sturdiness, and vacantly staring into the distance as I try to imagine whether my dog would destroy something or play with it nicely...I'm way too unreliable to be a responsible pet owner in a pet store. All it takes is one distracted moment and my dog could be careening down the aisle after a cute little fluffy. She'd just want to play, but the owners of Fluffie wouldn't know that and would probably assume Poca was going to eat Fluffie. A good time would not be had by all.

My vote? Leave the pets at home, do your shopping and then take your dog out for a nice run. No dog was ever harmed by not going to a pet store!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It does happen.
http://www.abc2news.com/mostpopular...-Inside-Pet-Store/DkCHzSs_d02SXPEvCEz1mA.cspx
My club offers a Feisty Fido class for DA dogs. This class is great because it is a controlled area with volunteers and their dogs helping train the DA dog. These volunteers know that the dog in the class is DA. There is an instructor there to teach the handler what to do. I do not feel that you are being fair to the others shopping in the pet stores. I do agree that the owner of the little dog should not have had the retractable leash unlocked. (I hate those leashes.) If I had a DA dog I would not take him/her to a pet store simply because I would not want to take a chance.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
If Petco isn't a good place to train, then why do they offer training classes there which also in they TELL you to bring your dog in to the store to practice training with distractions?
Yes, why would a class held at Petco tell you that you should take your dog to Petco? I'm not saying it's not necessarily a bad idea (I have a favorite petstore that I take my dog to all the time, precisely to socialize her with new dogs & people) - I'm just saying that this might not exactly be a neutral opinion.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Bingo. I don't know how others shop, but I get pretty engrossed reading ingredients lists, checking for sturdiness, and vacantly staring into the distance as I try to imagine whether my dog would destroy something or play with it nicely...I'm way too unreliable to be a responsible pet owner in a pet store. All it takes is one distracted moment and my dog could be careening down the aisle after a cute little fluffy. She'd just want to play, but the owners of Fluffie wouldn't know that and would probably assume Poca was going to eat Fluffie. A good time would not be had by all.

My vote? Leave the pets at home, do your shopping and then take your dog out for a nice run. No dog was ever harmed by not going to a pet store!
Or, at the very least, if you can find a privately owned pet store. The one I know about is my towns best kept secret. Never crowded, very well kept, does not sell animals of any sort, and the lady who owns it runs a dog training academy around here. Just her, her husband, and her two yellow labs.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I think anyone that brings there dogs to Petco or any other pet friendly store is assuming risk to their own dogs. I walk my dogs in there all the time. Mine are not outwardly dog aggressive at all but Carsten has gotten real sick of being bit by other dogs. It has happened 3 times now. I watch him very close, he stays focused on me (I see to that) and I am able to work him around other dogs. I certainly don't think what Darkmoon was saying was little dogs at the pet store are bait for DA Pit Bulls either. What it comes down to is needing to have your dog under control and be aware of the surrounding it is in at ALL times. That goes for the Big dogs as well as the little dogs. I am certain that if any dog were lunging and acting aggressively the store managers would make them leave. A Dog that has MILD DA can certainly safely walk into an area with other dogs as long as it's owner is 100% aware of the surroundings.
Petco here really encourages people to bring there dogs in to practice obedience. I cannot speak for other areas. Here we also have many many rescues that hang out there and not all of the dogs are as social as others. The handlers need to watch their dogs. Like someone else said "It is not a dog park" you don't have the right to allow your dog to run up to anyone else or their dogs.

I can see why people want bans on certain breeds now.
WOW! Just, WOW!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
WOW! Just, WOW!
My thoughts exactly. Sure, let's ban all those dangerous-looking breeds. It doesn't stop the STUPID, IRRESPONSIBLE owners from bringing their golden or lab into the store and letting it attack someone (I've seen these two much-loved breeds and more go nuts in many a pet store, so breed doesn't really matter here). I mean come on, seriously.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts