Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . sometimes.

(Yes, this coming from the annoying optimist.)

I just got home from work, let my girls out and fed them and was letting them enjoy a beautiful day, when I heard a horrific racket.

I looked out the window and saw two dogs, one of them up against the outside of our fence and the other ten feet away. My girls were going nuts.

On the sidewalk 40 feet away, the owner stood stupidly, with no leash in sight and making no attempt to fetch her dogs. I went the door and said, in my most neighborly tone, "If my Plott hound goes over the fence (and she can) there is going to be Hell to pay."

The dogs retreated but, two minutes later, they were at the back gate. (We live on a big corner lot.) I went out the back door to shoosh them away, before Esther decided to crash the fence, and the woman said, "Oh, it's alright. They won't bite."

I said, "Mine will."

I don't really think Molly would bite a dog or person. She is naturally diplomatic. Esther, on the other hand, demands formal introductions and any animal invading her turf without that introduction is in jeopardy.

Why would anyone allow their unleashed dogs to approach two large, clearly pissed off dogs (with a large, pissed-off owner) and then insist, "Oh, it's alright."

No, it's not. Next time, I'll call the police.

·
Super Moderator
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is one of several reasons why we have a very visible fence, and not an invisible one. Even if the invisible fence could actually keep my dogs in the yard, it wouldn't keep other dogs out and there would have been bloodshed.

·
Super Moderator
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Reminds me of an old joke.

A guy says to another guy standing near a dog, "Does your dog bite?"

The other guy says, "No." so the first guy reaches down to pet the dog and gets chomped.

"Hey! I thought you said your dog doesn't bite!"

"That's not my dog."

A small, evil part of me was tempted to open the gate and let Esther out. Of course, I would never do that, nor would I fire a gun into a crowd of extremely annoying people.

But the thought did cross my mind.

·
Super Moderator
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don't want to make it sound like Esther is a dog who will chomp on just any dog that gets near her. She has plenty of dog friends and some of them can be very annoying. She's very tolerant, once she knows them. The fact that she hasn't killed Zeke is a testament to her patience.

But a dog prancing around just on the other side of the fence is an invader. I suppose she could be trained to ignore them, but I don't think that's a productive use of my time or hers. With Esther, you pick your battles carefully.

Oddly, in a town that I think literally has more dogs than people, this is the first time this has happened, so maybe it was a fluke. People walk by here all day with well-behaved dogs on leashes and there's no problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts