Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . sometimes.

(Yes, this coming from the annoying optimist.)

I just got home from work, let my girls out and fed them and was letting them enjoy a beautiful day, when I heard a horrific racket.

I looked out the window and saw two dogs, one of them up against the outside of our fence and the other ten feet away. My girls were going nuts.

On the sidewalk 40 feet away, the owner stood stupidly, with no leash in sight and making no attempt to fetch her dogs. I went the door and said, in my most neighborly tone, "If my Plott hound goes over the fence (and she can) there is going to be Hell to pay."

The dogs retreated but, two minutes later, they were at the back gate. (We live on a big corner lot.) I went out the back door to shoosh them away, before Esther decided to crash the fence, and the woman said, "Oh, it's alright. They won't bite."

I said, "Mine will."

I don't really think Molly would bite a dog or person. She is naturally diplomatic. Esther, on the other hand, demands formal introductions and any animal invading her turf without that introduction is in jeopardy.

Why would anyone allow their unleashed dogs to approach two large, clearly pissed off dogs (with a large, pissed-off owner) and then insist, "Oh, it's alright."

No, it's not. Next time, I'll call the police.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Yep. That sounds about the IQ level stumbling around my apartment complex with their unleashed dogs. It pisses me off. Just the other day we had an unleashed Cocker charge us, I had to let Rowdy go to keep this dog from charging Disco. I got the lame "oh she wouldn't bite" and assured him that Disco would and that I would be happy to provide him with a leash if he needed one.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
That's pretty damn rude of her. I hate it when people think they own the whole neighborhood and that they can let their annoying untrained dogs harrass whoever they please. On your own property! Seriously.

·
Registered
192 Posts
yes...people are stupid. i would tell anyone in no uncertain terms that they and their dogs are at risk if they don't leash and control their dogs.

i am not on the earth to win a popularity contest and my dog is never off leash outside. if my neighbors aren't happy that they have to obey the law and just plain common sense then they will pay the price...not me.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I never understood why people who have dogs off leash seem to be the ones with the least control over their dogs.

That seems...backwards to me.

I have no problem with off-leash dogs with their owners. I have a problem with owners with poor/no control over their dogs - leashed or otherwise.

And people like this woman who missed the point and don't get it's not about their dogs and if they bite or not.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is one of several reasons why we have a very visible fence, and not an invisible one. Even if the invisible fence could actually keep my dogs in the yard, it wouldn't keep other dogs out and there would have been bloodshed.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I think I recall a video of those teeth growling over the fence. Who in their right mind would allow their dog to approach and linger with no intention of continuing on their way. Clueless.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Ugh, Ron we have our share of those idiots around my neighborhood of late as well! Angels barrier aggression has gotten worse because of it, I'll be so glad to get a house that has a privacy fence (the one I hope we get actually has a 6ft block wall all the way around the back yard with wooden entry gates)

·
Banned
617 Posts
the woman said, "Oh, it's alright. They won't bite.
Have to love it when they say that. Last week I was walking my three dogs all leashed and some lady stupidly let out some little dog (cant remember what it was). It had the little dog tough guy attitude and came full speed ahead at me and my posse. Well my Pit does not do well with dogs that are not properly introduced either. She said the same exact thing word for word. Luckily I saw the little guy in time. I was able to tighten the leash up quick and keep it from being a doggie snack. Needless to say the little dog figured it out and left before things got ugly.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Sometimes the stupidity is amazing. I was walking my young male Rottweiler one day along a route we take frequently. I noticed a woman watch me pass by through her glass front door, and then, when I was half a block away, let out her little terrier type dog who came busting down the street towards us.

Now my dog is a friendly guy who does not take issue with other dogs generally, but I was not going to tell this idiot that.

I turned around and asked her why she let her dog out when she just watched me walk by. Then I get the "he won't bite" comment.

I won't repeat what I said. ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I agree. Although I dont live in the city, but in the country we gets lots of people from the trailor park that is about a mile away always walking their dogs off leash in the ditches and the road. Their dogs go in and out of our ditches and yard. It is really annoying and our dogs go crazy. Our dogs know not to chase after the dogs and the people walking on the road, but one of these days one of the owners dogs are gonna get their face bitten off if they come to close into the yard.

Funny story, my neighbour has these two beautiful Blue heelers. They have a fenced yard as well as an invisible fence just in case, anyways these people always walk by with their bulldog that is always running infront of the owners and this dog always starts terrorizing my neighbours dogs. Well Debbi my neighbour got fed up with it and went out and started yelling at the dog to bugger off, the owners eventually came and she started explaining to them to put their dog on a leash, the owners were also yelling at Debbie for yelling at their dog. Well Debbie is not a person to mess with, anyways the next day there was a big huge warning on her door about her dogs bugging people walking ect.. Debbie found out that the guy who owns the bulldog and made the complaint is a cop. Anyways long story short Debbie called the police station who sent the notice and gave them an ear full and explained everything to them and they never bothered her again. They dont even walk down the road anymore.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
see Wvasko? it happens..

that sucks RonE, I know how you feel. it happens to me a lot.

"Oh Boobly doesn't bite! He's a snookums!"

"Bolo WILL bite! she is DOG AGGRESSIVE."

"Dog aggressive? What's that?"

*facepalm*

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
This is one of several reasons why we have a very visible fence, and not an invisible one. Even if the invisible fence could actually keep my dogs in the yard, it wouldn't keep other dogs out and there would have been bloodshed.
I agree completely. I have never been a fan of the invisible fences for that exact reason.

People NEVER cease to amaze me. I run into similar scenarios so often. Some people just do NOT get it! With the headlines what they are, it shocks me that people will still allow their "friendly" dogs to just rush my dog and myself. People do not understand boundaries anymore either. Thank God for sturdy fences.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Is your dog friendly?
Not always. (she is ALWAYS but I don't want to advertise it).

Can I pet her?
No?

Why, will she bite?
Yes. She has to test people to see if any of us taste like chicken....

The bad thing Ron is if Esther did eat that person's dogs, Esther would be the Bad Dog. Maybe an E-fence on the OUTSIDE of the pen is what you need?

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Last weekend at the Agility Trial, all dogs were to be kept on leash and picked up after. It was held outside in a campground. I had Remmy and Susie just tied to the side of the truck while I was making my breakfast. A fellow comes out of his trailer with two border collies loose. One ran over and spooked poor Remmy, he got his leash caught around the stool I get in and out of the trailer on, and scared the daylights out of him. The fellow didn't even call his dog, just kept walking off. A little while later he came back, still with the dogs loose. I had my two dogs in the camper and was watching out the door. One of his dogs came over, humped it's back and the fellow pretended he did not notice until he saw me looking. Then he made a big deal about looking for it. I can never understand why people think that the rules do not apply to them. It is a lovely spot for a Trial and people like him are going to spoil it for everyone.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Sorry to hear about this RonE...hopefully you've seen the last of that person and her dogs.

Is your dog friendly?
Not always. (she is ALWAYS but I don't want to advertise it).

Can I pet her?
No?

Why, will she bite?
Yes. She has to test people to see if any of us taste like chicken....

The bad thing Ron is if Esther did eat that person's dogs, Esther would be the Bad Dog. Maybe an E-fence on the OUTSIDE of the pen is what you need?
I considered such a fence for my yard...but to keep the neighborhood children from trying to climb into my yard to "pet the doggies". My dogs have, up until the present, never had an issues with strange people and seem to understand children are rather delicate, but an unsupervised 3yr old clamoring over my fence? I don't think so.

And yeah my answer to people approaching and asking if my dogs are nice/friendly/don't bite is "So far." This tends to confuse people for some reason, so I can flee the area before they come up with something else :p

We don't want to be mobbed (particularly those of us who own dogs/breeds with excessively positively reputations) but we don't want people freaking out that our dogs are monsters either (particularly those of us who own dogs/breeds with excessively negative reputations). That leaves a pretty large range of behaviors that are perfectly fine, but for some reason many people seem to dwell on the extremes...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I never understood why people who have dogs off leash seem to be the ones with the least control over their dogs.

That seems...backwards to me.
Their dogs are running free probably because the owner is tired of being yanked around on the other end of the leash all the time. So yeah... not a good sign.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts