Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have had the absolute worst day of my life and it's only noon. My mother went on vacation, to florida for 2 weeks. I was housesitting/petsitting for her. She has a 5 year old st. bernard mix that we rescued 4 years ago. And he is an inside dog, although he has a 60' x 50' kennel in her yard, witch he plays in and stays in when no one is home. (He tends to play too rough with the kitty's, no one's told him he weighs 175 lol) Anywayz i had to work last night...... so i put Keeba in his kennel, filled his food/water ... and gave him some toys. When i got off work 7am this morning, before i even go in i notice that he didnt come out of his dog house to greet me, witch i immeditely thought was odd, however blew it off as him sleeping or being lazy. So i unlock the kennel door and step inside, he STILL does not come out. I called his name 3 times and still nothing, finally just as my heart is exploding, he pops his head out of the house, and i froze at what i saw. You couldn't even see his big ... brown puppy eyes. They were entirely blood red. I freaked ran to the house and got him out. I literaly had to pull him out, and i only weigh 130, dog has near 50lbs on me, as soon as i got him out he fell onto me ... and was crying, so i started crying and screaming for my neighbor to come help me. He was going to work himself and came running, he got Keeba off me and we tried to get him into the house ... and he was totally blind, he walked into the side of my car and fell over. I again started to freak, thank god dale came to help me i have no idea how i would've done this myself. Dale finally lifted him and carried him into my moms house. When we get inside he tells me that as he carried him his tummy felt weird. So i check and it looks/feels like he ate a basketball!! His breathing was extremely labored, almost like he was gasping. And he was shaking super bad. I immeditely called my vet.. lol TOLD her i was coming in rather making an appointment, and again my neighbor helped me carry him to my car. When i get to the vet she told me that his organs were failing, just as she said this he spews black diairria all over her floor, and all over himself. The vet told me it was a toxin and she belived that someone poisoned him. I knew what she was going to tell me next. So i laid on the floor with him, bawling like a baby. I had to have him put to sleep, she asked me if i wanted to leave or stay with him, and of course i stayed with him till the end. I can't help feeling like i failed him somehow, i have never felt so guilty about anything in my life. The vet is doing a necropsy to see what the toxin was, however when i got home, i searched his kennel, and i saw little pieces of hamburger meat, with like... green chunks. It almost looked like green bil jac. I called the police and they came and took it, and i think i realized the reason. The lock on my moms shed ( right next to Keeba's kennel) was cut and her generator and chainsaw had been stolen. I'm sure that someone poisoned my dog so he wouldn't bark at them. Everyone in the neighborhood loved Keeba, he never barked in his kennel for no reason. All the kids around here called him mini-horse. No matter what i do i just can;t wrap my mind around that fact that someone has done this ..... someone intentionally killed her poor dog, and all i can think of was i should have locked the cat in the bedroom and let him stay inside. Of course i had to call my mom and tell her what happened. Witch of course ruined her vaction .. she's on her way home now so the when we can have Keeba's body back, we can bury him together. I feel like the biggest jerk in the world, and i can't stop crying. I guess i really just wanted to vent, but either way it won't bring Keeba back to us. Thank you for taking the time to read about my poor baby boy.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I am so sorry this happened. How horrible for you.

I don't think there was anything unreasonable in having this dog outside in a large kennel over night. He was routinely kenneled when you went to work and this was apparently the routine he was used to and the routine you used. If this routine had been used for a long time, it is what you would do.

You can beat yourself up and it won't bring him back as you have said.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I am absolutely sick to my stomach reading that... I am SO sorry!!!!! :( :( :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for such kind words. It's just nice to hear someone say it wasn't my fault. I guess that as "parents" we will always blame ourselves. An outsiders perspective can help alot.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am sorry you had to go through this as well as that poor baby! So you did file a report with the police?? If they did find the person he could get charged with animal cruelty!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea i made a report as soon as i got back from the vet, the police are actually noticed that the lock was cut off of the shed next to him, i was too busy crying to notice, but they took the lock to print it, whoever got it, used a bolt cutter to cut the lock off, got what they wanted, closed the door and put the broken lock back in its place. So hopefully whoever has done it has been printed before, i would love to see someone get in trouble for this. Not that it changes the outcome of my story, but i don't want this person to do this to someone else, if only because "it's worked before" It would be nice if Keebas last act in life saved someone else's dog, and spared the people the horrible heartache that i have now.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
if that happened to my dog...

I would be howling for blood. I would be calling the papers, the TV news, the cops, animal control...

i'd have the entire state on the lookout for the scumbag a**hat coward theif who took my dog from me.

and WHEN he was caught i'd be bribing the cops to let me punch the sh** out of the bastard before they hauled him off to beefy boys fun time boarding school.

:mad:

*cracks knuckles*

·
Registered
6,474 Posts

I would be howling for blood. I would be calling the papers, the TV news, the cops, animal control...

i'd have the entire state on the lookout for the scumbag a**hat coward theif who took my dog from me.

and WHEN he was caught i'd be bribing the cops to let me punch the sh** out of the bastard before they hauled him off to beefy boys fun time boarding school.

*cracks knuckles*
me too!

i am so sorry that this happened to you and your dog.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am so sorry that this has happened to your family.
Honestly, I am just grateful that you weren't home when they got there- who knows WHAT they may have done to you (they might have been watching the house and saw your mom leave w/ a suitcase).
I wasn't your fault..
And yes, some people are very evil. Luckily for me, I believe that what goes around comes around.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

*cracks knuckles*
Agreed X10,000

I'm really sorry for your loss, but as others have said, don't beat yourself up. It's hard not to, because we all feel responsible for our animals, but that's where he always stayed and it wasn't anything different from what he was used to. You did a good job caring for him and an excellent job in giving him the attention he needed, right away!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'm so so sorry this happened. It is unimaginable to me how someone could do that. I recently had to put my senior dog down, and its the hardest thing I've ever done.
Again, I am so sorry, and send all my caring thoughts your way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
OMG, I can't believe that someone would do something like that to a poor dog ;( I hope that they find WHO did this, and they ROT in jail. If that happened to me, I'd also be looking to take blood out of the person that did this too. The cruelty thatp people do to dogs these days......sheesh

Let us know if they found him........the FREAKS

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I am so sorry. Remember that this is in no way your fault.
Why don't you alert the local news? They can ask people to come forward if they know anything.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The vet has called me and they confirmed that rat poison killed him, actually he ate enough to kill him 4 times. The police called me as well saying rat poison was what i found in the kennel. And there were prints on my shed door and lock however, there was no match. Even though i know what happened, it doesn't bring my boy back. All i can hope for is that someone can learn from Keeba's story. I live on 12 acres, my mothers house is on the same land as mine. Keeba's kennel was 60' x 50', and was 8' high. We always kept it locked, just in case someone would try and take him, him being 175# was a deterent for most, but you can't be too carefull as he LOVED everyone. I took my good neighborhood for granted, i wish i hadn't been so naive with the whole "can't happen to me thing".

People everywhere do horrible things for selfish reasons, and think not of others. If anything can make me feel better, it would be as Keeba's last act in life was passing on this story can help spare someone else the heartache i have now, and save some other dogs life. Don't take things on face value, bad people can live in good neighborhoods too ...... thank you everyone for all your kind words and thoughts, much love <3

·
Registered
4,277 Posts

*cracks knuckles*

What zim said. I'm so sorry. I second the idea of alerting the local news for 2 reasons: it might make your neighbors extra vigilant so that this doesn't happen to them and it might help the police catch the SOBs. Someone may know someone who suddenly has a chain saw or generator they're trying to sell or can't afford. I would offer a reward too - it's amazing how money can bring people out of the woodwork. Make the reward for arrest and conviction. Do it quickly to improve the odds that someone will notice something and respond. :mad::mad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree 100% w/ winniec777. Call your local news. Put up posters. Offer a reward for the arrest of the person. People will do things they normally wouldn't do when money is involved. It makes me sick to hear what these people do to animals. You are in no way to blame for this.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I can't stop thinking about this today and am still just sick about what happened to poor Keeba. I also second zim's, winniec's, and KayaSophAbel's thoughts... I do hope you will go to the media (newspaper and local TV news) with what happened. These sickos CAN and WILL do this again. If you're not up for making some calls to the media, have a friend do it for you... heck, I will do it if you want me to! I'm just so terribly sorry. What a tragic loss. :(

·
Registered
442 Posts
You also need to be watching your local Craigslist , pawn shops etc... for the stolen items . Get a lead on those and it may lead you to your dogs killers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts