Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering getting my dog the PH xrays since I brought him home about a year ago. He is neutered so I obviously have no intention of breeding him, but I constantly worry about his hips. He grew pretty quickly so he seems pretty wobbly in the back legs, and when he was a puppy he got tripped over a couple times so I worry that he might have gotten injured and it could affect his likelihood to develop HD. I also know that his breeder would LOVE if I got them so that she could use the information to guide her breeding choices. But it is so much money.

I know it is a choice I have to make myself, I am just curious if there is anyone out there who has x-rayed their dog for no reason other than just to "know." Were you glad you did it or is it a waste of money?

He is 14 months and about 80 lbs. He should be 90-100 by the time he hits 2 years. Is this a good time to get x-rays if that is what I decided to do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,066 Posts
My SD, before he was my SD (didn't know that would be the role he'd be filling). We did OFA's not PennHip. He wasn't/is not for breeding, but I did him anyway.

No problem doing them now, if you're going to do PennHip. One of the reasons it is so expensive vs OFA is because PH REQUIRES dogs to be sedated, OFA does not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, I keep flipping back and forth. I'd prefer Penn Hip. It seems more...scientific, vs OFA being based on the professional opinions of whoever happens to read the x-ray. My breeder said that one of her dogs was OFA excellent when she obtained her, OFA fair when she did her own xrays, and turned out to be Penn Hip good (third times the charm?). If I am going to spend that kind of money doing xrays on my dog, I am going to get a consistent test done. There are weeks when he is so wobbly in those back legs that I am convinces he has "loose hips" and will develop arthritis easily. And there are weeks when he looks and acts as strong as he could be. I hate the stress of worrying about it. But if it does turn out he has HD I don't know what I would be able to do about it, beyond the glucosamine treats I already give him. So I have to answer for myself...is it worth it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
So I have to answer for myself...is it worth it?
That is exactly where we are. She will be four in January (seriousy?! Where does the time go?!) and we are considering starting glucosamine and chondroitin supplements prior to any symptoms to try to prevent them. She has faults by the standard and I suspect she is the result of poor breeding practices (she is a rescue). Although I am not sure that HD is as common in Sibes as it seems to be in labs, GSDs, etc. I plan on discuss it with my vet next check-up and I am doing research trying to determine how common it is, treatment options, prevention of progression, etc to see if there would be any difference in a non-breeding dog as to what you would do if the dog has dysplastic vs non-dysplastic hips discovered young when the dog is asymptomatic. I know there is a difference but I want to know how big it is - depending on how big of a life change is required (and thus indicating how big of a problem dysplastic hips are pre-symptoms). So much to weigh...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the research I have done (which is minimal), they tend to lean toward supportive therapy for the younger dogs with no symptoms. For example, I don't play games with my dog that require him to jump, just in case the impact of landing on his back legs would cause too much stress. I've been giving him appropriately dosed glucosamine since he was a puppy because at 10 weeks old my trainer thought he showed symptoms of being dysplastic (we sort of determined it was the way we was growing, but I figured it wouldn't hurt). If I did find out he had HD I highly doubt I would do surgery unless he was truly miserable, which I why I'm not so hot on doing the x-rays. But the what if's kill me every time I see that back end wobble. He is also very tall so maybe its a gravity thing? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Misty has non-standard gait IMO. I'm no judge but it as smooth as I think it should be. Another reason I think she came from an unsound breeding - but I wonder if x-rays would really change how we do things. I don't think it would then I think well yes it would. So...still just wondering. I wish it was as straight forward as getting MDR1 testing on Sierra. I keep wondering...wondering...she doesn't need any medical procedures anytime soon so I have no reason to do them while she is already out. It would end up being a procedure of it's own. Misty hates being "drunk" but in the long term will it benefit her health? Is the risk outweighed by the risk of sedating her? Every procedure has risk and besides the fact I suspect unsound breeding and her interesting gait at times (which I have no proof the gait is incorrect - I have never observed confirmation Sibes) I have no real reason to do the x-rays besides wanting to know. She isn't a breeding animal - it won't change any plans there so it won't really effect my future planning. Oh the what if's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad I'm not alone! I actually love Micah's gait. When he walks (especially when he heels) he has a high-stepping trot. I think it looks pretty cool but I have never been to a dog show. When he runs he...gallumphs...but he is pretty darn fast about it. I keep on telling myself that if I find an extra $500 that I don't know what to do with I will do them. Or let it be one of those "spontaneous" huge purchases that I like to do. Better to blow $500 on my dog to help provide useful information for the breed than to buy a playstation that I will never use because I don't play video games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,946 Posts
You might get some resistance from the vet. I had a full set x-rays (complete with sedation) done on my spayed mutt because I wanted to know if it would be safe to do sports with her. Vet said they wouldn't show anything and didn't want to do them. But people I trust in the sports community said do them and recommended this vet. I did them anyway, and everything was fine. If nothing else, I have a baseline now, in case something goes wrong down the line.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top