Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my SO wants to get us a pellet stove because he thinks it'll be cheaper than paying for propane which is our fuel source *we live in a trailer community and it's the same for everyone we don't really have a choice about it* but a pellet stove would be an alternative that would be relatively cheap after the initial cost (or so my SO says). Plus our house isn't that big so a small one could heat the whole place without us spending too much.

Does anybody have a pellet stove and tell me more about them? Do you think it would be cheaper than paying for propane? Are there certain things I should think about before getting one. I have an idea of where to put it, probably in the kitchen in the corner where it would be out of the way but also in the "middle" of the house. I think our double wide is between 1600-2000 sq feet *rough estimate it may be smaller*

·
Registered
766 Posts
We have a pellet stove at our cabin and like it.
Not sure of fuel prices where you're located but here, it is
cheaper to heat with pellets than propane.
I asked my hubby about your post and he said:
Buy a good brand name stove.
Buy quality pellets as the cheaper ones will build up a resin.
You will hear a little bit of fan noise.
The only concern he had, was whether the heat would reach
all the rooms in your home.
And to check out pellet furnaces as an alternative as well.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a pellet stove at our cabin and like it.
Not sure of fuel prices where you're located but here, it is
cheaper to heat with pellets than propane.
I asked my hubby about your post and he said:
Buy a good brand name stove.
Buy quality pellets as the cheaper ones will build up a resin.
You will hear a little bit of fan noise.
The only concern he had, was whether the heat would reach
all the rooms in your home.
And to check out pellet furnaces as an alternative as well.
So the pellet stove would be in the kitchen just adjacent to the kitchen *almost diagonal* is the 2nd bedroom where the bunnies are and then right across from the kitchen is the living room, and then right next to the living room is our bedroom. It's all very close relatively. I may have overestimated how big the double wide is, I don't know exactly how big it is but it's not really that big when I think about it.

What is a good brand name stove and quality pellets that you recommend? :D thank you also for the info

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I know nothing about pellet stoves but was thinking at one point on getting a Vermont Castings wood burning stove for my house. For a wood stove you need a certain amount of clearance from the walls, put the stove on a non cumbustionable surface and the chimney had to be a certain design (I think double wall through any opening). I knew someone years ago that had a wood burning stove in his kitchen and he had to put a 3 or 5 inch fan in the kitchen doorway to distribute the heat somewhat and it was extremely hot anywhere near the stove (his table was close to the stove); his house was a Victorian type with lots of doorways and partitioned rooms. I never went through with it because by the time we would have paid for the stove, the install, the renovations to accommodate the stove and the amount of room it would have taken up it wouldn't have benefitted us. I do have to say that both houses I have owned had natural gas furnaces and that is the cheapest fuel around; I have heard that propane could be as expensive as electricity so my needs were different than yours.

I've heard great things about pellet stoves though and would certainly consider one or a wood burning stove if need be; I think the pellet stoves can actually operate longer without tending to them then wood burning ones.. I do want to say I agree to buy a good quality one so it will function properly and give you years of service.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know nothing about pellet stoves but was thinking at one point on getting a Vermont Castings wood burning stove for my house. For a wood stove you need a certain amount of clearance from the walls, put the stove on a non cumbustionable surface and the chimney had to be a certain design (I think double wall through any opening). I knew someone years ago that had a wood burning stove in his kitchen and he had to put a 3 or 5 inch fan in the kitchen doorway to distribute the heat somewhat and it was extremely hot anywhere near the stove (his table was close to the stove); his house was a Victorian type with lots of doorways and partitioned rooms. I never went through with it because by the time we would have paid for the stove, the install, the renovations to accommodate the stove and the amount of room it would have taken up it wouldn't have benefitted us. I do have to say that both houses I have owned had natural gas furnaces and that is the cheapest fuel around; I have heard that propane could be as expensive as electricity so my needs were different than yours.

I've heard great things about pellet stoves though and would certainly consider one or a wood burning stove if need be; I think the pellet stoves can actually operate longer without tending to them then wood burning ones.. I do want to say I agree to buy a good quality one so it will function properly and give you years of service.
The pellet stove would be freestanding so I don't think I have to have a non combustible surface but we are going to go to a furnace and stove store and ask a lot of questions on wed so I'll let you know what we find out.

·
Registered
777 Posts
We used to have a potbelly woodburning stove at the house I grew up in. Heated the 1100 sq feet two-story house pretty well during the SF bay area winters back then. We just put a fan in front of it so the heat would blow up the stairs when we slept at night. When it got below freezing, it wasn't enough to make us comfortable, but the house was extremely drafty and the walls weren't insulated well to begin with. I want to say we went through 0.5-1 cord of oak wood every winter for fuel and it was cheap for us, living in a wet climate where trees grow easily.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We ended up getting a Tiberwolf pellet stove from a person that only sells stoves *pellet, wood, propane, gas* here are some pictures since it's all set up and inspected :D 12027797_10208362902975395_493048401469641043_n.jpg 12249733_10208362902855392_6080438226420362465_n.jpg This thing is so awesome and warm, the house is so toasty.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
That's great! We have a pellet stove too and really like it.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
We ended up getting a Tiberwolf pellet stove from a person that only sells stoves *pellet, wood, propane, gas* here are some pictures since it's all set up and inspected :D View attachment 216409 View attachment 216417 This thing is so awesome and warm, the house is so toasty.
I just saw you got the stove; glad you like it! Were there any clearance issues that needed to be addressed? I'm just being curious.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just saw you got the stove; glad you like it! Were there any clearance issues that needed to be addressed? I'm just being curious.
Clearance issues? we had to screw one of our windows shut for winter but we can unscrew it in the spring/summer *don't know why we had to do that*

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Clearance issues? we had to screw one of our windows shut for winter but we can unscrew it in the spring/summer *don't know why we had to do that*
I was curious if you needed to be so many feet from a certain type of surface, had to be put onto a non combustionable slab or add a heat shield. If the only thing you needed to do was screw a window shut while in use then it probably didn't need anything too special.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Looks like it is on a pad and has a heat shield behind it so assume it is placed near the wall. Looks like the way my niece's wood burning stove is situated in her kitchen. It heats their place really well but does get a little warm if you have to sit close to it.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Here we have to have a permit and certain clearances of the pellet stove. It has to be a certain distance from windows to prevent carbon monoxide coming into the house.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was curious if you needed to be so many feet from a certain type of surface, had to be put onto a non combustionable slab or add a heat shield. If the only thing you needed to do was screw a window shut while in use then it probably didn't need anything too special.
It has to be on a non-combustible/flammable surface, it has to be so far away from the wall, I have to have a permit which I do

1 - 14 of 14 Posts