Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pekingese puppy: anybody know where I can find a black or black and white Pekingese puppy for sale please help If you know where I can locate one does it need to be paper to register just looking for a pet

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
"just a pet" is a phony term. Every dog you purchase should be close to, OR show standard. The majority of dogs born to show breeders are just pet quality. Gentetics throw variants and one dog in the litter might have outstanding conformation, another not so much.

You don't have to buy a show dog from a show breeder, but why wouldn't you want the healthiest and highest quality possible pet? People breeding dogs that are not following breed standard and "just for pets" usually breed unhealhty dogs and are considered "back yard breeders"

what state are you in so the members here can help research breeders in your area.

From Windswept Poodles -

"
"We only want a pet" This phrase is heard so often. I think what most people do not understand is that "just a pet" has to be as close as possible to the written breed standard as the show dog. The most important thing that makes a good pet is over all good health. This includes mental health (good temperament and personality) as well as physical health. For good physical health a puppy needs a strong immune system. Proper structure and movement are also necessary so the bones and joints do not develop problems later in life (such as hip dysplasia or loose patella's) .
"Just a pet" should be the dogs in a well bred healthy litter that may have minor faults in structure that are strictly of cosmetic
value. Perhaps a slightly rounder eye than desired in the breed ring, or a tail carried slightly lower or higher than perfect. It may be a personality conflict since sometimes the most perfectly structured and moving dog just does not have that moving out strut your stuff look at me aren't I beautiful attitude needed for the "show dog" to be truly competitive, yet is the ideal mellow pup to be the perfect family companion.

"Just a pet" should not be a dog of inferior breeding, poor conformation, poorly raised or of bad temperament, but should be as well bred, socialized, properly fed & carefully nurtured as the finest show dog to give you the best possible family companion. It is our aim to breed beautiful healthy dogs, as close to breed standard, for you to enjoy as family companions or in the conformation ring. We do the best we can to provide the healthiest dogs possible, both mentally and physically for those of you who want "just a pet"."

·
Registered
23 Posts
All pekes, both short and long coated ones, require regular grooming. If you don't want to do the grooming yourself, then you'll have to take them to a qualified groomer regularly. Regularly, at minimum, twice a month, assuming you keep up with brushing. If you never want to take a brush to the dog, I'd consider another breed. Groomers will do a lot for you if you pay, but they won't do everything.

Also, pekes are brachycephalic, which means they have a relative broad head and short snout. This makes them more prone to heat stoke and heat exhaustion. If you live in a hot area, you have to be especially careful.

There are lines of peke that have the short coat. If you don't want to do as much grooming, but you still want a peke, I'd recommend finding a reputable breeder that has short coat pekes. If you do find one, feel free to post the link in this thread so myself and other members can help you.

Deacon.dog, I'd love to discuss that you said, but I don't want to derail this thread. You can PM me.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
While there are certainly lines that aren't as heavy coated as others, a Pekingese shouldn't have a short coat. Even the most poorly bred ones I've seen have had a longer coat with lots of feathering. Like ShihTzu, Lhasa Apso, and other coated breeds, a lot of pet owners opt to have their dogs trimmed down. A lot of show dogs are also cut down after they are done showing.

Reactions: Deacon.dog

·
Registered
23 Posts
While there are certainly lines that aren't as heavy coated as others, a Pekingese shouldn't have a short coat. Even the most poorly bred ones I've seen have had a longer coat with lots of feathering. Like ShihTzu, Lhasa Apso, and other coated breeds, a lot of pet owners opt to have their dogs trimmed down. A lot of show dogs are also cut down after they are done showing.
Perhaps the ones I met were really poorly bred then...

If the OP decides she doesn't want a peke, I was going to suggest a Japanese Chin or Tibetan Spaniel. They look like pekes, but their grooming requirements aren't as demanding. They are more rare though...

·
Registered
444 Posts
I very rarely see a dog owner of any breed keeping their dog in a show coat. Its hard to maintain and gets dirty and gross. I couldn't imagine a peke in a show coat walking through my back yard...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts