Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first puppy not to mention my first frenchie but my sister has had a few puppys and I interacted with them helping them get house trained etc. So yesterday i bought a 6 month old frenchie from someone who i think kept it in the house a lot because they have 2 big German Shepards and they scared and harassed the frenchie and couldnt get a long so they decided to sell him. So ive been trying to take him out every hour or two on the leash for a long time like a hour or hour and half and all he does is snoop around and sniff everything, etc normal puppy stuff. But he NEVER pee's or poops EVER well its been 2 days but still lol, as soon as we get back inside and i put him in his blocked off area in the laundry room since it has that cheap laminate flooring within im guessing 10 mins he pee'd all over the floor. Usually when we get back in from outside i put him in his blocked off area, i put his leash and harness up, wash my hands, put my shoes up and when i check back on him theres pee all over the floor. Any explanation, advice, tips or anything as to why he does this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well let me rephrase that the previous owner said he is pad trained which is good. It I want him to relieve himself outside on the grass and not just everytime we come back from outside

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
If he was pad trained, it's possible that he thinks inside is the correct place to go. Dogs sometimes mistake carpets, pillows, and other soft things on the floor for pads. There's a number of things you can do to get him to go outside.

Have you tried putting a soiled pad outside in the dog's potty area? That may encourage the dog to go outside. Make sure to praise a treat for going, and then after you have the dog consistently going outside, remove the pad, or you can just gradually make the pad smaller and smaller until it's gone. Kind of icky, but whatever.

Have you tried a crate? Is the laundry room big enough for him to pee on one side and then lay down on the other? If he's in a crate, he can't pee on one end and then sleep on the other. The crate should only be big enough for the dog to lay down, stand, and turn around. That way, he can't pee on one side and then lay down on the other. Whenever you can't directly supervise the dog, he is crated. If you take the dog out for a potty break and he doesn't go, put him in the crate. Wait 5 minutes. Take him outside again. If he doesn't go, back in the crate for another 5 minutes. If he does go, praise and reward.

The puppy must always be supervised. If you catch him going potty, interrupt him with a word like "Oops!" and rush him outside. You probably won't be able to leave him long enough to even put away his gear, you have to have eyes on him until he gets it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea the laundry room area after the washer and dryer is maybe 3x3 I have a baby gate at the entry. So should I keep him in the crate a lot then or only before he pee's? Like after he pee's outside let him roam the landry room for a fre like a reward then back in the crate?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
At this point, I wouldn't let him roam anywhere unless you are there with him, supervising, 100% eyes on him. And yes, he will probably be in the crate a lot at this point. It is not forever, just until he is potty trained.

So, for example, you might be playing with your pup inside, and take him out for a potty break because he hasn't gone in a while (at this point, I would be taking him out every 30 minutes, at least. That time will get longer as he catches on to the potty training). Pup doesn't go potty, so you come back inside and immediately pop him in the crate. Go do something else for 5 minutes, take him out for a potty break again. Dog goes, praise and reward. You can come back inside and let the pup roam, but you still have to watch him. Anywhere that is not his crate, he must be supervised. I mean, you can watch television and whatnot, but you have to keep a pretty close eye on him. 30 minutes pass, take him out again, and repeat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I haven't tried pads outside that looks like what I'm gonna have to do. I'm also gonna be buying a small crate for him this afternoon. I guess I'm gonna be getting some good excercise since I live on the 3rd floor of my apartment lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know there are a lot of threads regarding potty issues but I would like more specific info on teaching our sweet rescue (Miniature Pinscher mix) to poop out side if she needs to go a second time during the afternoon. Also, lately when I have said, "NO!!!".....she has pooped on a pee pad when I was not near here, then brought the poop in her mouth and dropped it in front of me! Also, once I caught here eating some of the poop to get rid of it before I could clean it up. This may be a hard habit to break because she is 2 years old and had a litter of 6 on May 21. We got her on August 6th and are the 4th people she has been with in 2 years. The original owners had her for a 1 1/2 years and the wife had a stroke. They had to give her up. She was with 2 fosters while she was pregnant and had the puppies. Before we got her, she would go outside with 4 other dogs the foster had in the back yard. We live on acreage and she will always need to be on a leash. She chases squirrels!!! We have snakes and cows too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts