Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday at a picnic event, we were approached by this strange guy who struck up a conversation with us about bike travel. As he was talking to us, Ma'ii walked up to him, and was sniffing his leg. We didn't think much of it, until he turned to the side, lifted his leg and peed ALL OVER the guy's pants.

Ma'ii has NEVER done this before. He's gotten people by accident before that were standing in the line of fire, but he has never intentionally walked up to a person and done this. The guy was really nice about it (though I think he was expecting me to "punish" my dog more then simply sending him into the bike trailer). I guess this is more venting/babble, but I'm kind of wondering what would cause him to do this?

I shouldn't find it funny, because it's not, but I can't stop laughing!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'm not sure why dogs don't pee on people more often. I've seen dogs pee on each other before and they don't get upset. Kabota seems to pee on things as a notation to himself. He sniffs it thoroughly, then pees, then the next time we go by, he'll often just quickly sniff once and move on, so I think it's a note: I've smelled this thoroughly, no need to smell it again. So maybe the guys pants smelled really interesting and Ma'ii was leaving himself a note.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I don't know what causes some dogs to do this but I have seen it and been victim to it a number of times. A westie I see and walk with frequently on the weekends does this some what often, you don't want to let him walk behind you if we are sitting/standing around without keeping an eye on him so you may end up wet. My neighbor often dog sits for a dog who does this sometimes, he's gotten me once and came close a second time. Duncan, my foster, peed on that same neighbor though it isn't clear if that was intentional or just collateral damage. It's very likely he was just trying to pee on the log he was sitting on and not aiming for my neighbor...can't really tell. Some lab mix came up and peed on me at the dog park once.

I did experience the "so what did you do to him for it?" when telling others about Duncan's peeing on my neighbor. Pretty much everyone was baffled that I didn't punish him for it. When it happened I was dealing with Jubel who had tangled his leash with my neighbor's dog's leash and turned around just in time to see Duncan dropping his leg back down. "Ummm... I think Duncan just peed on you, just saw him drop his leg from directly behind you..." We both laugh and sigh and start walking home so he can change. Everyone else expected me to "punish" him and didn't understand why I hadn't done anything to correct him.

Only thing I can think to do is just to make sure you watch him closely to keep it from happening again. This was over a month ago with Duncan and he hasn't done it again, I'm inclined to think he was aiming for the log not the human.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I really think they should be corrected for doing this or they will continue to do it. You can usually tell by their body language if you are watching them (which I would do if they have done it before) and I would call them away with a firm NO if they start to do it. They can learn not to do it in the same way they can be taught not to mark on certain things.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I really think they should be corrected for doing this or they will continue to do it. You can usually tell by their body language if you are watching them (which I would do if they have done it before) and I would call them away with a firm NO if they start to do it. They can learn not to do it in the same way they can be taught not to mark on certain things.
The point was, in my foster's case at least, that I didn't catch him in the act and needed confirmation from my neighbor that it had happened at all. By the time I was sure he'd actually peed on someone about 15-20 seconds had passed and it's too late for a correction. So often when these things happen you don't know it until it's done so correction is hard. Once you know the dog is prone to that you know to watch carefully and yes then you would correct them when you see them start to lift their leg of course.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the thing with Ma'ii is he's 7 years old, and has NEVER done this before. This was extremely out of character for this dog, so I'm sure there had to of been a good reason for why he did this. I told him "NO", and put him in the bike trailer, but I didn't feel compelled to stand there and yell at him further.

·
Registered
878 Posts
At 14 weeks Hamish pee'd on my Mum's leg - they had a bunch of neighbours round and he got over-excited - she just calmly picked him up and took him outside then washed her leg down.
Only once since then did he take aim at both my leg and my OH's leg - we took him to a very stony beach which he wasn't happy about (uncomfortable on his paws) so he stood next to us and lifted his leg - fortunately we noticed and jumped out of the way, just in time!! Didn't reprimand him as we were too busy laughing at each other :D

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Considering how scared Kabota was to pee or poop in front of me when I got him, I'm not into corrections involving bodily functions. I would certainly watch him closely and pull him away if he were in the habit of peeing on people, but some dogs really cannot take any correction. I'd be highly disinclined to do it with any foster, because you can't know what a foster has been through or what issues you might be triggering.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
I dunno, but mine has done it, also... both on me and others. I think he does it when he is anxious/upset and ready to go home after we've been walking, and I stop to talk with people he doesn't know.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I know female dogs mark too (Biscuit certainly does, and she was so pee-shy for so long that I'm happy to see it and even reward it)...but I have never seen a lady dog pee on a person or another dog. Not saying it never happens, but this is one problem I'm glad I don't have to worry about!

I have had near misses involving a notorious Beagle at the dog park, FWIW.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Mine did it once before. A little girl in slippers came up to pet him and when she was done, he smelled her leg, then hiked his leg and let loose. I didn't really correct him for it as I was too busy apologizing trying to calm down the girl who had started crying. Luckily she was only with her brother and their parents weren't around and eventually she just rinsed it off in the creek nearby and they went home.

Ever since then, I pretty much just focus on his body language whenever a stranger comes up to him. Never once has he even shown the urge to do that again. Still dunno why he did it. Maybe her leg just smelled like something he wanted to pee on.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Yea, if you don't realize it's happened until after it's done then there's no point in punishing, but I would for sure correct during the act itself the same way I would correct for any housetraining accident or marking anything else I didn't want marked. Or at the very least pull the dog away so it couldn't complete the act.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Years ago I had a large GSD mix. I had to move and had several guy friends come to help me out. We were all standing around deciding what to move next when Luke walked over to one of the guys and pee'd on his leg !! I couldnt help but laugh. After we did the last load I ran to the store to get the beer I had promised my helpers. While waiting in line I was looking at a thing of bumper stickers and found one that said " HAVE YOU EVER FELT LIKE A FIRE HYDRANT IN A ROOM FULL OF DOGS " .I bought the bumper sticker and gave it to my friend who had to laugh about it then !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts