Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
My male puppies are nearly 6 months. One of them started lifting his leg a couple of months ago... one of them still squats. (The leg-lifter, Jackson, is adorable the way he does it... sometimes he changes leg mid-stream! and I've seen him peeing next to a shrub but lifting the "wrong" leg, so that he's peeing away from the shrub instead of onto it... it's adorable! :D)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Lloyd didn't start lifting his leg to pee regularly until I started taking him to doggy daycare and he saw other dogs doing it. I am so glad he finally started. He used to pee all over his front legs, now that he lifts his leg we don't have to wipe him down several times a day.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I have a neutered male (7 yrs. old) who lifts his leg sometimes, and sometimes he squats. I've an 8-yr. old female who sometimes lifts her leg, too! She's 8 yrs. old today, BTW. Happy B'Day Maddy, My Diva, My Devine Miss M!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Why do you think we perceive leg-lifting as masculine? If both sexes do it, what makes it seem manly to us? It's interesting to think about. I mean, it's not like human men lift their legs to pee, as other commenters discussed. So why do we associate it with maleness?

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Lloyd didn't start lifting his leg to pee regularly until I started taking him to doggy daycare and he saw other dogs doing it.
that is very interesting. iorek just recently started raising his leg occasionally to pee. it is really funny, sometimes he will stand next to a tree and squat but sort of bend his body towards the tree like a super lazy mark. i didn't know why he just started a marking behaviour, it has just been in the last 2 months or so. iorek is 16 months old now and has been neutered since 6 months. he has always been going to daycare, since we got him at 4 1/2 months so i wonder if he is learning that behaviour at daycare or if he is maturing? my friend has his brother and he has been lifting his leg since he was about 5 months old and he has been marking since then too, every place he can. iorek will only mark when i walk him and then only sometimes on a few trees, not every tree. my friend's dog is not neutered yet.

i always thought that lifting their legs had to do with putting a mark up as high as they could, to mark over the dog that was there last. kinda like they are saying i am bigger than you so you better watch out, even if the doggy is a tiny little girlie with extremely good aim :)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Why do you think we perceive leg-lifting as masculine? If both sexes do it, what makes it seem manly to us? It's interesting to think about. I mean, it's not like human men lift their legs to pee, as other commenters discussed. So why do we associate it with maleness?
Well, human males don't walk around on 4 legs either. So, for me, that's not part of the equation. Humans are humans, dogs are dogs, different species do same things different ways.

As for why leg lifting is considered a "male dog thing", maybe its because males do it more often than females? Or at least that was the thinking. Or maybe it's because since males are often considered the ones that mark and try to "pee higher" than other marks maybe the leg lifting got assumed to be a trait in that regard (with the thinking going that females don't engage in that sort of thing - which may not be, and probably is not, true)

Chances are it's another aspect, be it confidence/personality, learned adaptation/problem solving (like Elsa), learned from another dog (like the poster who mention his/her dog didn't leg lift until seeing it at a dog daycare), location of the scent of interest (high up, deep in the ground), etc

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.