Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manly leg lift...

At what age do male dogs lift their leg to pee?

How common is it that they never will?

My friend had a 98 lb American Pit Bull that squats, so apparently it happens where they never lift their leg?

I imagine it's not a problem, I'm just curious about the whole things 'cause my 4 month old still squats.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Don't worry about it! I have a male shih-poo, Desi, who's 6 years old and has never lifted his leg. He was neutered at about 3 months old (by vet's recommendation) and has always squated (spelling?). Doesn't bother me a bit! It means he's also never marked anything...unlike my brother's pug, Tucker, who lifts his leg at everything LOL!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry about it! I have a male shih-poo, Desi, who's 6 years old and has never lifted his leg. He was neutered at about 3 months old (by vet's recommendation) and has always squated (spelling?). Doesn't bother me a bit! It means he's also never marked anything...unlike my brother's pug, Tucker, who lifts his leg at everything LOL!
Sebastian was neutered at about 3 months too. And he never marks anything. Maybe getting neutered at a young age effects if they squate or lift a leg?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Jaia (80 lbs) was neutered at 18 months and he rarely lifts his leg. When he does, he just lifts it straight up and only about 3 inches off the ground. Has never marked anything and I've never seen him lift his leg out to the side.

Oh, and he asked that I add that he is VERY manly. :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Wow, that's quite the oversized pit bull...

But really, a dog is not a man, it's a dog lol. Shippo started lifting his leg when he was 4 months old, and was neutered at 9 months. Axle, my boyfriend's American Bulldog, never did start lifting his leg, and he wasn't neutered till he was about 9 months old. He stands and pees like a horse LOL.

On the other hand, my boyfriend's parents' FEMALE Aussie, Coco, lifts her leg lol.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Zero will lift or squat depending on what mood he's in I guess. He was neutered at about 18 mos. I've never ever seen Brutus lift his leg, but I suspect he just can't be bothered to make the effort. I have no idea what age he was neutered.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Ha ha, my female dog is more manly than yours! :p

After visiting enough trees Elsa was hiking her leg up to 'em...she figured that one out on her own. So...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Neither of mine male and female lift their legs in familiar places but when we walk or go to the dog park, Coco (male) will lift his leg and so will Aoki (female)

I have heard some dog owners train their dogs not to lift their leg...... not me, I really dont care so long as they do it where they are supposed to! :)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Hehe yeah, I've seen females left their legs too :)

Wally must be unsure of his sexuality. :eek: Sometimes he's lift his leg just to pee on grass and sometimes he'll just flatten out and pee.

Sometimes he'll flatten out, then left his leg.

I wonder if he should get some therapy? :D

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Jack- 14 years Dog neutered, lifts his leg sometimes

Hawk- 1 year Dog intact, lifts his leg as high as it'll go

Kechara- 7 years Bitch spayed, squats

Jet- 3 years Dog Neutered, lifts his leg

Jazz- 5 years Bitch spayed, lifts her leg

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Out of my three males and my previous male, only one lifts his leg. They were all neutered in the 9 month to 1 year range, so I dunno why one lifts and the others don't. I really don't care either way though, as long as it's not inside. :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sorry but your dog is not peeing like a man. Men do not lift there leg when they pee. If they did they would not be able to pee.
Oh, they would be able to pee just fine but I can't make any guarantees on their aim. I guess it all depends on how good their sense of balance is. :p

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LoL the manly part was just a joke.

I'm just curious as to the whole reasoning behind dogs lifting their leg to pee.

It seems it's not a male female thing? not a neutering things? Confidence maybe?

Also the APB I refered to was a big big boy. and for the most part he was solid muscle (a few times he'd find a way into his dog food and blow up like a baloon.)

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Icesis is a girl and she lifts her leg to pee. I guess she's a tomboy!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I have heard some dog owners train their dogs not to lift their leg...... not me, I really dont care so long as they do it where they are supposed to! :)
Some people are of the opinion that it's a dominance thing and that if their dog is lifting their leg on anything they're demonstrating dominant behavior which cannot be tolerated in any way, shape or form. I'm with you though. I personally don't care.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I'm just curious as to the whole reasoning behind dogs lifting their leg to pee.

It seems it's not a male female thing? not a neutering things? Confidence maybe?
Well, for my spayed female dog I think it was a learned behavior. The scent she wanted to mark was way up there and her parts were way down here, so, she adapted.

From what I can observe my dog is very much aiming. Unlike the boys I've seen who just do one or the other. IMO this is just more proof that females are smarter than boys.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Both of our dogs were neutered at 6-8 months, and they both lift their legs and never squat. Jake lifts his as high as he can, Buck doesn't lift it as high anymore because of his hips.

I don't see why it bothers some people. As long as they don't do it inside, right? I'm not saying that anyone here said it bothers them, just to make it clear.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I don't mind, like others, as long as it's not in the house he can pee however he wants. I'm just curious about the reasoning behind it.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have squatting male. He's gotten to where he sort of just stand/squats. Maybe he's developing a leg lift?haha.
I also have a female who lifts her leg like crazy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts