Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

peeing in the crate and inside

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TooneyDogs 
#1 ·
I've been keeping my puppy in the crate at night and during the weekday she stays in the crate for 3-4 hours, then a person walks my puppy, then she's back in the crate for 3-4 hours.
My puppy really never messes or slips up with pooping, but peeing is really becoming a problem with my puppy even being outside and coming inside to pee.

Well I have this type of black light that it shows urine on the carpet and it works really great, so we've been putting a blanket in the crate for my puppy and the light never shows urine, yet the blanket would always smell like urine. We tried to wash it as much as possible....

Well just recently we decided to remove the blanket while we left for the day and the puppy peed all over the place and was laying in her urine. I'm really not sure what to do to change this behavior.

I'm thinking it's how clean everything needs to be and that we might not have cleaned as well as we should have or used the right products. I've been cleaning the pee that's on our wood floors and tile with a solution of vinegar/alcohol/water and for moping we've been using lysol.

I'm trying to read as much as possible and I heard that it might be the smell that the puppy keeps smelling.
Any cleaning recommendations or any other recommendations at all?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been told that you need to use an enzyme-based cleaner. There are lots of different ones; I've used Simple Solution and Pee-Pee something. It does take the smell out, but leaves a different smell behind. And it hasn't stopped my dog from peeing in the crate, either. I wash the blankets in the enzyme cleaner, too. Though sometimes, to save money, I just pour some bleach in the washer instead.

#3 ·
Some dogs just will -not- hold it in their crates.. I don't know what makes them that way.. Zoey was terrible in a crate.. every time we left she would poop and pee.. and then she had S/A and she would bark, drool like mad, and try to bite and claw her way out of the crate.. it was so bad we'd find pieces of toe nail lying several feet away from the crate >_< ..Anyway.. we stopped crating her and just gate her off to the kitchen/dining room area now and we haven't had any problems.. She will hold it when she's out, and her S/A disappeared (perhaps it was more like crate anxiety then...)

Maggie is from the same mother as Zoey, and she's GREAT in her crate! 9 weeks old and she sleeps all through the night with out ever needing to go out. When we put Maggie in, we know she will hold it.

#4 ·
As she's only 3 months old....the bladder muscles aren't developed yet and she physically can't hold it. You're going to have this issue for another 3 months or so until she's grown some more. Adult dogs can hold it for 4 hours or so but, puppies need to go out every hour.

As others said, an enzyme cleaner like Natures Miracle will destroy the odor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.