Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallie is over a year! She's potty trained to go outside and she never has accidents, not even an occasional one. When she was 6 months she would pee in the bed and then sleep right beside it, but I just figured it was because we had a new foster and she was stressed with another female on her bed.. so I dismissed the first 2 times as a stress issue or dominance thing even though the second was after the foster was gone. I believe she may have also had one incident when she was in heat but now we're stress free and foster free and she peed on the bed last night! So I cleaned the mattress with enzyme cleaner and threw the sheets in the washer and put new sheets down. I took her out right after I found the pee and she sniffed but didn't go to the bathroom. Well I curl up under the clean pee-free sheets and prepare to go to sleep with Hallie at the foot of the bed but then she starts digging in the sheets and blanket like dogs do before they lay down. But she suprises me when she squats and pees AGAIN! On clean sheets right after she went out!! I told her "No!" and took her out again and then put her in the crate for the night because there was no way I was going through all that a second time at 1:00am. She's been sleeping with me in my bed for months with no incidents or accidents...so what in the world am I supposed to do?
I don't want to make it where she has to sleep in her crate every night like when she was little. What do I do?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Back to the basics....no more unsupervised freedom in the house, take her out on a strict schedule, watch the water intake, praise and treat for going in the right area.
It's not uncommon to need a refresher course. Also, changes in metabolism (aging) will alter their schedules so, you might need to tweek your daily routine.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In addition to what Tooney said, I would take your dog to the vet for a thorough check up "just in case."
Already taken care of! No UTI or anything like that and her water consumption hasn't increased..

Back to the basics....no more unsupervised freedom in the house, take her out on a strict schedule, watch the water intake, praise and treat for going in the right area.
It's not uncommon to need a refresher course. Also, changes in metabolism (aging) will alter their schedules so, you might need to tweek your daily routine.
Thanks! Looks like it'll be back to the puppy routine. Last night she did okay and I let her sleep on the bed and she didn't wake at all. :) still back to basics..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts