Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a one-year-old beagle mix we recently adopted. He is housebroken, but will pee when he doesn't like something. For example, I crated him for a little while today and he peed on his blanket. He had just been outside, so I know he wasn't having a potty emergency. He has done this in the past while looking right at me, as if to say "Take this, lady!"

The other day, I took our other dog for a walk and left him behind. My husband told me that the beagle whined and cried at the door the whole time we were gone. He didn't notice - but I did - that the beagle had also peed on the door mat. When I mentioned it to the vet, he said it sounded like a " doggie temper tantrum."

All I can do is clean it up, and remove the blanket when he is crated during the day. He hasn't peed when the blanket wasn't there. Of course if I catch him doing it, then I can verbally correct him.

I'm assuming this will go away eventually as he gets more comfortable with us. Is that right? Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and if I'm taking the right approach.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Dogs don't pee in protest. They don't think going potty is a bad thing like we do. They aren't ashamed or using it as a tool. They like pee and poop.

Clean the blanket in an enzyme cleaner.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Dogs don't know how to protest, but they do get nervous and anxious. Seems like he may have some serperation issues. What other times has this happened?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Clean the blanket in an enzyme cleaner.
Do you mean something like OxyClean? Or something from the pet store, like Simple Solution? Do you spot-treat it, or pour it in the wash?

I've been adding some bleach to the washer to remove the smell.

Dogs don't know how to protest, but they do get nervous and anxious. Seems like he may have some serperation issues. What other times has this happened?
I thought that was funny when the vet said it, because I assumed it was anxiety, as well. We just adopted him a couple of weeks ago from the pound, so naturally he has separation anxiety, and it is more pronounced with me because I'm the one caring for him most of the time. But it hasn't happened any other time except when crating, and the incident with the doormat.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Since it has only happened twice it's too early to say it is anxiety although peeing under those two scenarios suggest there is something there.

Like Jesi said just clean the blanket with something like nature's miracle. I would wring out the pee, spot treat it and then wash it. Just keep observing to see if there is a pattern.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
It sounds like stress to me, and the blanket is something that is nice and absorbent, so he can pee on it and it won't make a mess everywhere and get on him. Not a protest at all.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I agree as well that this is very possibly anxiety based. I can't believe your vet calling it a tantrum, and this doesn't bode well for good behaviour advice from him.

Cracker is fully housebroken but suffers from SA. She doesn't chew thank god but she does howl, cry, pace, drool and pee. She is on meds now, but I find the biggest difference is the DAP diffuser. It calms her really well while I work on the desensitization. You can see the difference in a big way between the beginning of the bottle and when it is starting to wear out.

He's still not settled in yet, give it some time and try not to give too much attention (OVER affection), keep your arrivals and departures calm and ignore the dogs for the first several minutes.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Do you mean something like OxyClean? Or something from the pet store, like Simple Solution? Do you spot-treat it, or pour it in the wash?

I've been adding some bleach to the washer to remove the smell.

I thought that was funny when the vet said it, because I assumed it was anxiety, as well. We just adopted him a couple of weeks ago from the pound, so naturally he has separation anxiety, and it is more pronounced with me because I'm the one caring for him most of the time. But it hasn't happened any other time except when crating, and the incident with the doormat.
Yes, Simple Solution. Made for pet odors. It needs to get the ammonia out. I'd soak it in SS or Nature's Miracle, then go in the regular wash.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since it has only happened twice it's too early to say it is anxiety although peeing under those two scenarios suggest there is something there.

Like Jesi said just clean the blanket with something like nature's miracle. I would wring out the pee, spot treat it and then wash it. Just keep observing to see if there is a pattern.
No, it's happened much more than twice. Those are just the only two situations in which it has occurred.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I feel very confident in our vet's medical advice, but apparently he isn't a dog behavior expert.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Tis true. Most vets get only cursory education in behaviour as it is not a big part of their practical knowledge...unless they are a veterinary behaviourist and have the specialty training in addition to their medical training.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
How old is the beagle?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Way to read my post! (Just kidding. :cool:) He's one.
*headdesk*

He probably was never adequately potty trained, and thinks it's okay to pee in there. That's why he's looking at you. Remove the blanket, and make sure you take him out often. Treat him as if he's an 8 week old puppy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They told us when we adopted him that he *is* housebroken (and he has never peed or pooped in the house other than when crated or upset.) But they did say that because he was at PetSmart in the adoption center for a couple of weeks, and the store personnel didn't let him out often enough, he had messed in his kennel a few times. So that may be the problem in addition to the anxiety. I just remembered that.

I hope you didn't hurt your head.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Yeah if he got in the habit of going in the crate, it can be hard to stop it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dog Oreo is going on 10 years old and she still does the same thing. If you find out how to break them I would love to know the secret.
Sherri Shawgo
**Unauthorized Ad Removed**

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
They told us when we adopted him that he *is* housebroken (and he has never peed or pooped in the house other than when crated or upset.)
When I adopted Eevee from the shelter here, they told me she was potty-trained as well. When I brought her home, the first thing she did was pee on my carpet LOL.

That aside, it still sounds like a stressed reaction to me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found a bottle of Simple Solution that I didn't know I had, and soaked the blankets in it (mixed with water) in the washer. I made the solution as strong as I could, while being wet enough to soak the blankets through. I don't know exactly where the spots are because I already washed them. I also wiped out the bottom of the cage with it.

I don't think he likes to be dirty, because I've noticed that if the blanket is soiled he whines and cries when put back in the cage. But if it's clean, he seems calmer. Not completely calm, but more so than when it's dirty.

(A couple of times I didn't notice he had peed on it until much later. His pee doesn't smell that strong.)

I am getting a bit tired of sniffing blankets to see if they have pee on them! Holy Moly, only someone who really loves animals would put their nose and face right up to something that may have doggie urine on it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts