Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some suggestions.

We got Devyn from the animal shelter a few months ago, and she was estimated to be about 8 months old. We had a few issues with house training in the begining, but she is smart and figured it out very quickly. She is crate trained and was doing very well until recently. She is now about 10 months old.

A couple of weekends ago, we went out of town. We decided to board her with our veterinarian. She was only there for the weekend. We dropped her off Friday and picked her up Monday. Ever since, she has been peeing in her crate. Everytime we leave her in the crate, she pees. Every time. I have tried restricting her water before bedtime, but we are still having accidents. I would think that the 8hrs she is in the crate overnight is too long, except that she did just fine for the 2 months prior. She even has accidents during the day, even though my husband goes home at lunchtime to give the dogs a pee break.

We always watch her when she goes outside to be sure that she is doing her business before she plays. I am not sure what to do about it, but I am not happy with having to clean her crate so often.

Her crate may be a little on the large side, but the smaller size was definitely too small. I am planning on sectioning off some tonight. But I do not think I will be able to section off much.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You mentioned that you boarded her with the veterinarian. Was she kept in a kennel or in a crate and was she taken out regularly? It might be a consistency issue, where she urinated in the crate at the vets because she was left in there too long.

Either that, or separation anxiety. In the latter case, has she ever been boarded anywhere before? What I mean by separation anxiety is that she may think now that any time she goes in a crate that she is either going to the vets or that you are going to leave her for a few days- she misses you!

You should also get her checked by your vet, as she may just have a uti (urinary tract infection).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would agree have her checked to see if she has a urinary tract infection. Quite possible and could cause this constant peeing. If she is fine one thing I have done int the past is, well first make sure the crate is clean. then try feeding her a few meals in the crate for a while. They will not go where they eat. This might break her of this.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree. To me it sounds like it could be either that she associates the crate with having to be boarded and away from you, or she got a UTI from holding it too long. Plus, make sure the crate is cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner, or a mix of white vinegar and water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually used to work at the vet we boarded her with. So I know exactly what she went through over the weekend. They have pretty large "runs" with drains in the back where she would have been kept and she was fed and walked twice daily (and they walked before and after feeding both times). I'm sure she had accidents, twice a day was probably rough on her!

It was the first time she's ever been boarded. But she had been there a few times before (I took her to work with me a few times).

I should probably also mention that we did have a hard time crate training her in the beginning. She HATED it, lol. Very unlike my other dog who LOVES it. But after some time, she came to accept it. She did show some signs of separation anxiety at first, but does okay now. She is just VERY dependent on my other dog.

I suppose a UTI is possible, but she doesn't show any signs of one.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Well, then, my new guess is slightly different. She didn't like the crate to begin with, and she didn't like being left at the vet. She had a touch of separation anxiety. Then, she was without you for a weekend, on a totally different schedule at the vet's. And, on top of that, she's only had 3 months to settle into your home.
My guess is, when she's crated she is anxious because you're not there. Anxious dogs sometimes pee. I'd go back to the beginning of potty training with her. Start as if she was a young puppy. Take her out on a strict schedule and supervise her like crazy. If she continues to pee only when she's in the crate, you might try to put her in a small bathroom or laundry room, blocked off with a baby gate so she doesn't feel as confined as with the crate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts